Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(posted this in the wrong location - creating a new post here....)

my 2021 SEL plus AWD 2.0 w/AT w/8k miles has serious issues with the automatic transmission (started around 6.5/k miles).
Many times from a total stop or to speed up, the transmission does not know when to down shift or gear to choose....most often a really bad lag - many cups of coffee spilled.......
Been to the dealer twice - they couldn't replicate the problem (I love how the service manager carries an iPad around for diags).....
Found somewhere on the web to disconnect the neg battery terminal for 15+ minutes - I disconnected over night.
Sad to think this is a known problem and Hyundai chooses not to address. Told the dealer about disconnecting the battery - they were 'impressed' with my knowledge......???

Does anybody have suggestions ??

Also curious if there's some "master" reset for the entire car in addition to disconnecting the battery? I'm all for a total reset and start from scratch.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had both a 2.0 with the 6 speed and a 1.6 with the DCT.

I don't recall having any issues with the 2.0 transmission. It seemed to shift correctly every time. (Now...there is barely enough power with that engine that I had to drive it with a lot of throttle to keep from being a nuisance in traffic.)

Where I live, there are two speeds of traffic. Stopped or NHRA qualifying. :)

Just for turds and giggles, try putting the car into "Sport Mode" and see if the problem goes away.

It could be that the computer is getting "confused" by your throttle input. Not that you don't know how to drive, but try the Sport Mode and see if the problem is still there. If the problem continues, then the dealer will just have to figure it out. Sorry.

Personally, Hyundai did a poor job with throttle inputs when in the "Eco" mode. I'm sure the computer programmer can explain how their mapping is the best, but I sometimes wonder if that programmer ever drove a car before-- much less in traffic. Maybe South Koreans are a lot more polite than what I deal with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your responses.......the 2021 SEL Plus has only 'normal' and 'sport' modes. I've tried 'sport' mode and the problem disappears......so I know it's got to be a logic issue (not AT or AWD mechanical). traffic here is about the same which makes the problem more obvious.
The agent that I spoke with at Hyundai says the 'adaptive smarts' studies your driving habits and keeps adjusting over time according - I'm thinking maybe that's part of the problem. He said that it only 'studies' in 'normal' mode, not 'sport'.....interesting, you couldn't make this stuff up.
There are times I wish I could set 'sport' mode as 'default' instead of having to push the button at every engine start.....but then your mileage sucks.
There is a dealer about 90+ mins away - I may take it there later this summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AAAD......I still think there's got to be a "master reset" for the whole car somewhere.....? I've seen videos on their testing before shipping cars and after the final step, the car is put into a reset process.

I lived near the KIA factory living in the south and 'took the tour'.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
80 Posts
thanks for your responses.......the 2021 SEL Plus has only 'normal' and 'sport' modes. I've tried 'sport' mode and the problem disappears......so I know it's got to be a logic issue (not AT or AWD mechanical). traffic here is about the same which makes the problem more obvious.
The agent that I spoke with at Hyundai says the 'adaptive smarts' studies your driving habits and keeps adjusting over time according - I'm thinking maybe that's part of the problem. He said that it only 'studies' in 'normal' mode, not 'sport'.....interesting, you couldn't make this stuff up.
There are times I wish I could set 'sport' mode as 'default' instead of having to push the button at every engine start.....but then your mileage sucks.
There is a dealer about 90+ mins away - I may take it there later this summer.
There are numerous posts on this forum concerning DCT issues. I recently posted this on one of tge others but its possibly worth replicating it here.

My car, a 1.6 turbo, went in for its 40k service a fortnight ago and I had complained about the DCT. I should say tho , that I purchased the car with 17k on the clock so I wasn't there during its formative months on when its DCT was learning so it learnt at tge hands of another whose driving style was someone sedate than mine!

They checked the DCT and found nothing untoward but did reset the DCT for me. I didn't loose the radio presents or any other personalised settings but the DCT is definitely acting differently so there must be a way they can't reset the transmission without disconnecting the battery. The tech said that as far as he was aware (?) the DCT learns in all auto driving modes but he didn't think that it learns in manual mode.

In Sport mode the DCT now changes from first to second at 2500 rpm but the second to third change is at around 3000 rpm. Now it will remain in 4th or 5th without changing up even when cruising at 80kph on the flat and I manually change it up to 7th if I don’t or can't foresee a need for the instant power the lower gears provide. My 'around town' fuel consumption has suffered slightly!

I guess the issue around teaching the DCT is that it takes place on public roads and different road and traffic conditions dictate. For example, if you were driving a manual, taking off from pole position at a set of lights in "boy-racer" mindset, you could accelerate hard and shift to second at redline. However, if you are behind other cars at that set of lights, how high you rev, how fast you take off and when you change into second depends on your mindset and behaviour of the vehicles in front of you. But if you were driving in heavy stop and go traffic you might want to/have to crawl along in first and not change into second for some time until traffic conditions ease.

Similarly, there are very valid reasons why you'd like the DCT to hold in 4th gear and yet other conditions, speed limits for example, where you won't need the torque on tap and 7th would be the gear of choice. If you translate these examples to training the DCT you can see how the DCT will 'get confused' because the only inputs it receives are from the driver and those inputs will be inconsistent. The DCT is unaware of traffic and road conditions, speed limits, the erratic driver in the lane next to you that you want to get in front of or the fact that there's a police car two cars back!

For what its worth, my advice is to get the DCT reset and just drive it! It'll learn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
......thanks for your post. I'd like to find how to reset my AT like your DCT but the dealer pleads ignorance......I'm guessing the DCT has more smarts that the AT but who knows - it could be the same logic??

I'll probably see a nearby dealer later this year (before winter - yikes!).....

(off topic)....I did read somewhere back when I was researching different models that Volkswagen (Porsche) was curious about Hyundai's design.....They mfg a very expensive version....but who knows, it could be the very same?).....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts