Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go to my garage this afternoon, press the door button to unlock and nothing. I thought maybe I didn’t have key fob on me. Nope I had it in my pocket. Used physical key to get in car and tried to start it. Nothing. No interior lights, dash lights, no radio, nothing. I called Hyundai roadside assistance and had it towed to dealer for 7a appointment tomorrow. The car has less than 500 miles on it and I’m pissed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, something ran the battery down to nothing, and the back hatch not being properly closed (actually the bump stops not being properly adjusted) has been the number one issue. It's a good guess. Let us know what the dealer says.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, something ran the battery down to nothing, and the back hatch not being properly closed (actually the bump stops not being properly adjusted) has been the number one issue. It's a good guess. Let us know what the dealer says.....
Dealer called and said they were able to jump and start but the tech wants to charge overnight because he suspects a dead cell in the battery that was run down by some electrical source. If battery is still not healthy in the morning they will replace. The hatch thing is interesting, though I thought it was completely closed on last use. I do leave lights on auto but they turn on after 30 seconds. I have a USB cable plugged in but my iPhone goes in the house with me.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
230 Posts
Pretty sure interior lights turn off after 10-15min if a door was left open. So an open door should not be the cause of a dead battery.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pretty sure interior lights turn off after 10-15min if a door was left open. So an open door should not be the cause of a dead battery.
Most of the lights do, with 1 exception, the trunk light on the rear left side. Its always powered, and when the hatch is up, it turns on. However, the hatch can be closed, and not say door ajar on the instrument screen, and the light will still be on. The reason is how the contact for the switch works. The rubber stops on the hatch need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
what makes you think the rear hatch was open?

Its a very common issue. Even if the hatch is closed, if the ground switch is not fully depressed, the light will stay on. Turning off the main switch for the interior lights does not effect the trunk light.

If there is anything plugged in to the cig outlets, or even the usb ports, would have no effect as there is no power to those ports when the vehicle is off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer just called and said they charged the Kona over night. It started immediately and the battery health is fine - no dead cells. They also checked the alternator and it's fine as well. When I asked what caused the issue the service manager said "we have no idea."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had my 2020 Kona Electric in for body work from a minor accident, and while it was there they left the rear hatch open. When I went to pick up the car it wouldn't recognize the key and would not start. They jumped the 12 volt battery and it started right up. Drove home and the battery recharged. So, yes. Leaving the rear hatch open does drain the battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I go to my garage this afternoon, press the door button to unlock and nothing. I thought maybe I didn’t have key fob on me. Nope I had it in my pocket. Used physical key to get in car and tried to start it. Nothing. No interior lights, dash lights, no radio, nothing. I called Hyundai roadside assistance and had it towed to dealer for 7a appointment tomorrow. The car has less than 500 miles on it and I’m pissed.
This same thing happened to mine when I went on vacation. I had used my GPS to get to the airport and didn't unplug the GPS. I actually didn't think it would need unplugged if the car wasn't on, but it drained my battery. Roadside Assistance sent someone and they jumped the battery and it worked fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had battery issues with the AutoLink module (think its called Blue Link in some countries). Talked to my dealer about it and they admitted issues and recommended I remove the module. (Dealers are different these days. Took it out and problem went away. Last week downloaded the app again and put the module back in with fingers crossed. Totally flat overnight and required road service to get me going. Road service guy tested battery and said it was flat as a mackerel. Car 6,000kms Think the module needs to be tossed in the garbage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had battery issues with the AutoLink module (think its called Blue Link in some countries). Talked to my dealer about it and they admitted issues and recommended I remove the module. (Dealers are different these days. Took it out and problem went away. Last week downloaded the app again and put the module back in with fingers crossed. Totally flat overnight and required road service to get me going. Road service guy tested battery and said it was flat as a mackerel. Car 6,000kms Think the module needs to be tossed in the garbage.
Where is the module located in the Kona?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This same thing happened to mine when I went on vacation. I had used my GPS to get to the airport and didn't unplug the GPS. I actually didn't think it would need unplugged if the car wasn't on, but it drained my battery. Roadside Assistance sent someone and they jumped the battery and it worked fine.
That's why I got this just in case it happens again at an inopportune moment:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn't fully close my rear hatch. Next morning wondering why my Interior Lights didn't work with the door opening? Car started fine. Tells me it has Battery Run Down Protection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have a Kona and a Santa Fe Sport with GPS always plugged in and they always start even after 10-14 days of inactivity.
Once while on vacation the Santa Fe and a Kia Soul (that was before the Kona) was sitting in the garage for 5 weeks and they both started at 1st try. I had a fully charged jumper ready, but didn't need it.

As a side note, when a car of mine has a battery about 5 years old I replace it, needs it or not, because I am borderline paranoid and I hate surprises.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
230 Posts
Most of the lights do, with 1 exception, the trunk light on the rear left side. Its always powered, and when the hatch is up, it turns on. However, the hatch can be closed, and not say door ajar on the instrument screen, and the light will still be on. The reason is how the contact for the switch works. The rubber stops on the hatch need to be adjusted.
So while installing my power trunk I had it open the whole time. The trunk light DOES turn off... but it's about an hour or so, not like the dome lights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts