Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Kona bought in June 2020

October 2021 blow out left front tire, put the compact spare on and drove 33 miles to local tire shop to put new tire on. By the time I got to the dealership, I started to smell a odor from the vents when I slowed down. After several trips to the mechanic it was found the the front differential was blown. Repaired under warranty.

January 2022 flat tire, screw in tire not fixable, left front tire. Had the compact spare put on and drove 60 miles to the tire store at under less than 55 mph. When I got the tire shop, once again smelled odor from the vents when I slowed down. Tire replaced drive right to the dealership. Once again blew the front differential. Will be fixed under warranty.

I have asked the dealership to report this to Hyundai. I believe this is a flaw in design. The dealership has only stated he has replaced two differentials because of this--of courses both to be my car.

Lesson: do not drive with the compact spare on, just have the car towed to the tire store. Research stated driving with the compact can damage the AWD--that isn't in the owner's manual.

Hyundai needs to revisit this apparent flaw. You should be able to drive on the compact spare or just remove it from being used.

· Banned
2,008 Posts
A couple of threads on this and full sized and different space saver spares that come very close to the correct diameter of the oem size tire. If you put a different tire size on like some 1.6T car owners have, find out the new size and vsize the spare accordingly. WHY didn't Hyundai "pull" that incorrect spare from you. Also why did you use it again when you knew it takes out differentials? The diameter has to be within 2mm to work. I am close with a reduced sized full sized spare that the diameter is so so close. I just recently found out 2mm is the tolerance Hyundai wants between tires on the AWD cars.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of threads on this and full sized and different space saver spares that come very close to the correct diameter of the oem size tire. If you put a different tire size on like some 1.6T car owners have, find out the new size and vsize the spare accordingly. WHY didn't Hyundai "pull" that incorrect spare from you. Also why did you use it again when you knew it takes out differentials? The diameter has to be within 2mm to work. I am close with a reduced sized full sized spare that the diameter is so so close. I just recently found out 2mm is the tolerance Hyundai wants between tires on the AWD cars.
Mainia1:

I am using the compact spare that came with the car. I would assume that Hyundai wouldn't put a compact tire that would destroy the differential.
Just realized this second time of blowing the differential that the common denominator was the compact tire. I will be having the car towed should another flat tire occur. Not using the compact tire anymore. Regular sized tire will not fit in the space provided.

· Banned
2,008 Posts
Mainia1:

I am using the compact spare that came with the car. I would assume that Hyundai wouldn't put a compact tire that would destroy the differential.
Just realized this second time of blowing the differential that the common denominator was the compact tire. I will be having the car towed should another flat tire occur. Not using the compact tire anymore. Regular sized tire will not fit in the space provided.
Yes they did, mine had one in my AWD that was 2 inches shorter diameter. We are talking Hyundai here. The dumb smit dealers are doing it. While I like Hyundai's, Hyundai is on the bottom of the manufacture IQ list on doing dumb ars stuff over and over and over and over and over again. They have a 4-5 BILLION $$$ bill just on warranty engine repair, and then add all the fire issues and transmission issues. Head in the sand would be a perfect meme for Hyundai.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they did, mine had one in my AWD that was 2 inches shorter diameter. We are talking Hyundai here. The dumb smit dealers are doing it. While I like Hyundai's, Hyundai is on the bottom of the manufacture IQ list on doing dumb ars stuff over and over and over and over and over again. They have a 4-5 BILLION $$$ bill just on warranty engine repair, and then add all the fire issues and transmission issues. Head in the sand would be a perfect meme for Hyundai.
I'll ask then to replace the compact spare. May not work but it won't hurt to ask.
I know, I have had issues with my sensors and they say they can't do anything because not throwing codes.
Honestly, sounds like a quality issue.

· Banned
2,008 Posts
They won't tell me what codes the sensors are throwing because I can't get the car in there when there sensor is acting up. I live over an hour from the dealership.
What is the car doing, when it is throwing codes?This will give you access to the codes.

· Registered
5 Posts

October 2021 blow out left front tire, put the compact spare on and drove 33 miles to local tire shop to put new tire on. By the time I got to the dealership, I started to smell a odor from the vents when I slowed down. After several trips to the mechanic it was found the the front differential was blown. Repaired under warranty.

January 2022 flat tire, screw in tire not fixable, left front tire. Had the compact spare put on and drove 60 miles to the tire store at under less than 55 mph. When I got the tire shop, once again smelled odor from the vents when I slowed down. Tire replaced drive right to the dealership. Once again blew the front differential. Will be fixed under warranty.

I have asked the dealership to report this to Hyundai. I believe this is a flaw in design. The dealership has only stated he has replaced two differentials because of this--of courses both to be my car.

Lesson: do not drive with the compact spare on, just have the car towed to the tire store. Research stated driving with the compact can damage the AWD--that isn't in the owner's manual.

Hyundai needs to revisit this apparent flaw. You should be able to drive on the compact spare or just remove it from being used.
Your lucky you get compact spare, in other regions (UK) you just get a spray foam inflator can.

· Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
64 Posts
I think today Hyundai is shipping the foam inflator with all AWD models, to prevent costly replacement of the differential. Mine comes with the inflator, so I had to buy the spare. Being mindful of the diameter difference, I put a larger tire on it.

· Registered
1 Posts

Put a145-90-16 on and replace the tire that are with it the same size as the 235 18 that on the car.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello, I need some advice on damage caused by driving on donut spare tire.
I had a VERY slow leak on the left front tire on my 2018 Kona AWD, with 41,000 miles, took it to Les Schwab tire shop, they said it was non repairable due to cut in side wall. I practically begged the guy to just let me drive it home the seven miles to my house so I could decide on a course of action, I didn't want to spend $800.00 for new tires without at least researching it, and besides I am thinking about trading the car in in a few months. they insisted on mounting the spare tire. I drove home seven miles under 45 miles per hour, when I pulled in the driveway, I had a strong smell of hot oil. I called the local Hyundai dealer and they didn't answer their phone so I called roadside asisstance and they picked the car up with a flat bed truck and took it the dealer. I told the dealer about all of the complaints and reports on here from other people who had made the mistake of driving on the spare tire and they said they would check it out.
I never would have thought that it would destroy my drive train to drive on the spare tire that came with the car!
The dealer did not have a loaner for me so I had to go without my car for a week! I kept calling Hyundai customer service asking about a loaner or rental and they just kept telling me to be patient.
I found a good used tire of the same specs as the original tires and had them mount and balanced for $50.00 and took it to the dealer.
Finally after a week the dealer said they had checked out the drive train and it is fine?? I asked the service writer what all they did to come to this conclusion? He said the manager drove it a couple of times and they didn't see any leaks, they said they drained a little oil from the trans axle (front diff) and that it looked fine? What???? I asked the guy if they drained the oil from the Transfer case and he told me that the transfer case and front diff on this car are all one unit!!! How can this guy be a service writer if he is this ignorant? I was so tired of dealing with these guys I just took the car and drove home.
So, the car seems to drive fine and I didn't smell any oil smell, but I am afraid there is some damage to either the transfer case (most likely?) or the trans axle / front diff.? I can't believe they didn't just change the freaking fluids.
I have a case open with Hyundai, so I plan to get them to pay for further investigation if possible, meanwhile my question is (1) if I am going to drive the car with the used tire that I bought is it better to leave it on the front or move it to the rear? I called the installer that installs tires here from Tire Rack, and asked him that question and he said it is better to leave it on the front, but I don't know if that makes sense to me?
Question (2) has anybody had any luck getting Hyundai to proved them with a spare tire that is actually OK to drive on?
I am sure that Hyindai is aware of this problem and I can't believe that they haven't done a recall on these compact spare tires?

· Banned
2,008 Posts
Leave it on the front, because it is an "open diff" and has some form of ability to take a slight difference in diameter. IF you put it in the rear there is no way for the transfer case to change the "set gearing" between the front and back.

If you ever have a tire go out with FWD bias AWD you need a tire of the same size and it should be put on the front ONLY. if the flat is on the rear you will have to play musical tires to bring back a front tire to the rear and then put the same sized spare on the front. Also watching front to rear tire wear is a must. I check mine monthly and swap tire around to keep wear even between all tires. Also you buy tire don't be shy in buying Discount Tires tire insurance as if you have 1/2 worn tires on an AWD and you get a sidewall blow out or nail in the sidewall, they have to put all 4 tires on for free.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi, thanks for the help here, I think I will pursue getting some more help from Hyundai regarding this whole mess. Can somebody who has had this same problem (driving with compact spare tire on left front) confirm for me whether it was damage done to the Transfer case or to the front diff. / Transaxle? I would like to get Hyundai to replace the Transfer case for me, but how do I prove it has been damaged? In my way of thinking if the oil was so hot that I could smell it from the drivers seat then there is serious damage, at least to the fluid itself and should have been changed. The smell to me was more of a gear oil smell than transmission fluid. It smelled like engine oil dripping onto an exhaust manifold. (burning oil) I know the transfer case only holds a small amount of oil (about 3/4 gt. I believe), so it would not have been hard to overheat it.
I used to buy tires from Discount tire and the warranty, but the last time I did that I only owned the car for a year and traded it in on another vehicle and they wouldn't give me any credit or prorating towards the new vehicle, so I felt like I just threw away that money.

· Banned
2,008 Posts
Hi, thanks for the help here, I think I will pursue getting some more help from Hyundai regarding this whole mess. Can somebody who has had this same problem (driving with compact spare tire on left front) confirm for me whether it was damage done to the Transfer case or to the front diff. / Transaxle? I would like to get Hyundai to replace the Transfer case for me, but how do I prove it has been damaged? In my way of thinking if the oil was so hot that I could smell it from the drivers seat then there is serious damage, at least to the fluid itself and should have been changed. The smell to me was more of a gear oil smell than transmission fluid. It smelled like engine oil dripping onto an exhaust manifold. (burning oil) I know the transfer case only holds a small amount of oil (about 3/4 gt. I believe), so it would not have been hard to overheat it.
I used to buy tires from Discount tire and the warranty, but the last time I did that I only owned the car for a year and traded it in on another vehicle and they wouldn't give me any credit or prorating towards the new vehicle, so I felt like I just threw away that money.
You can prove damage really only by having a third party or Hyundai do separate oil analysis on the 1) DCT gearbox, 2) the transfer case, 3) the rear diff. and look for massive wear metals. Otherwise your SOL at this point. It is the only easy way to prove damage. OR you being at the Hyundai dealership with your video phone dumping each of these 3 drain points into separate a clean 1 gallon pails. Let them site for 1 hour and dump them to look for metal flacks. The thing here is they wont want to do a thing if it is just flacks, they will only lift a finger if chunks come out. So basically you are screwed.

· Registered
3 Posts
Yes and never put a spare donut at any place on a awd vehicle
As it causes transmission wind up, due to different diameters of tires.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had a flat today on the right front in a parking lot so I never drove with it flat, I changed to the donut tire and drove 4 miles home. The Kona was hard to control and the transmission jerked a few times and when I got home I could smell burning from the right side. I read posts about Hyundai removing the spare because it damages the transmission. Did I fry my transmission in 4 miles? I cant afford any repairs right now, I ordered a replacement tire (205/60/R16) today but it wont be here until Monday so I will leave it parked. I read multiple posts on full size spares but a lot of it went over my head, what wheel can I order to put a 205/60/R16 tire on (I don't care if the cover doesn't lay flat) that will fit the Kona and not damage the transmission? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts