Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
After about three weeks of my dealer replaced winter tires on my Kona EV 2020. I drove short distance trips around the city. Then all a sudden dashboard started to display "check tire pressure monitoring syst." message, tried to follow user manual intruction for the tire pressure monitoring function but the tire pressure info (car diagram) does not show at all. Is this a malfunction? This message does not go away, it stays there on the dashboard. Anyone knows what is wrong? Here I have attached the warning message on my car dashboard for reference.
53448[1].jpg

Thanks,
AC

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have not because the winter tires were installed by dealer, I would expect they have it setup properly. I am a retiree and newly relocated to Canada. I do not even have any tools for car, not even have a simple portable tire pressure gauge yet. Beside the gauge, what else do have to buy in order for me change tires myself? Cause dealer charge me over $150 service charges, needed to minimize my expenses. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's a system malfunctioning, it'd be better get it serviced. Otherwise, since anything can happen on the road in 3 weeks, your tire might have damaged and lost some air over time(ie. tiny sharp object stuck in the tire and caused a damage).

It wouldn't hurt if you check your tire pressure first though. I bought MotoMaster 12V Digital Gauge Inflator from Canadian Tire, which checks tire pressure and inflates quickly. Relatively cheap too.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your advice BeVigilant. Will check it out at Canadian Tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, the same thing happened to me, but I was sort of expecting it. The cause is that the winter set that was swapped for the regular Kona wheels, are not fitted with pressure monitoring sensors. Hence the TPMS cannot get a signal from the wheels, and the warning message comes up. So unless you get special rims with the sensors, this will happen.

So the real issue for me is: Is there a way to turn off the TPMS? I mean just for the winter, and when the summer OEM wheels/tires are re-installed you would just enable it again. So far, I have not found a way to do it. .......Rickker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi there,
After about three weeks of my dealer replaced winter tires on my Kona EV 2020. I drove short distance trips around the city. Then all a sudden dashboard started to display "check tire pressure monitoring syst." message, tried to follow user manual intruction for the tire pressure monitoring function but the tire pressure info (car diagram) does not show at all. Is this a malfunction? This message does not go away, it stays there on the dashboard. Anyone knows what is wrong? Here I have attached the warning message on my car dashboard for reference.
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
I agree with Rickker. They either did not install the TPMS sensors or installed them incorrectly. I, too, had the same problem when putting on snow tires. I actually had two sets of rims so once mounted, I swapped them back and forth myself. But, the winter tires/rims did not have the sensors. I just had to ignore the light for the winter and keep an eye on the tires until the Spring when I put the originals back on since I was told there is no way to stop the dashboard indicator (or use black tape as also suggested).

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Rickker. They either did not install the TPMS sensors or installed them incorrectly. I, too, had the same problem when putting on snow tires. I actually had two sets of rims so once mounted, I swapped them back and forth myself. But, the winter tires/rims did not have the sensors. I just had to ignore the light for the winter and keep an eye on the tires until the Spring when I put the originals back on since I was told there is no way to stop the dashboard indicator (or use black tape as also suggested).
Yes, confirmed by my dealer, the alert display is winter tires have not equipped with TPMS sensors. He suggested to manual monitor the tire pressure regularly.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
47 Posts
Yup, I chose not to spend the money to get the sensors on my winter tires. I am quite capable of checking the pressure myself. The one downside is you cannot use cruise control when the tire pressure light is on. Not the end of the world as I don't use it much in the winter anyway... I wish they made an EV without all this tech crap. Manual roll up windows please!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, I chose not to spend the money to get the sensors on my winter tires. I am quite capable of checking the pressure myself. The one downside is you cannot use cruise control when the tire pressure light is on. Not the end of the world as I don't use it much in the winter anyway... I wish they made an EV without all this tech crap. Manual roll up windows please!!
I have a 2019 Kona Iron Man Edition and just put on a set of snow tires and wheels with no TPMS sensors. After seeing your post, I didn't care about the light being on but was concerned about not having cruise control since I use it every day during my commute. I didn't want to spring for the sensors so I took a chance and put the tires on anyway. Yes, the light is on but the cruise control still works fine. Just wanted to update this thread in case others have the same concern.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2019 Kona Iron Man Edition and just put on a set of snow tires and wheels with no TPMS sensors. After seeing your post, I didn't care about the light being on but was concerned about not having cruise control since I use it every day during my commute. I didn't want to spring for the sensors so I took a chance and put the tires on anyway. Yes, the light is on but the cruise control still works fine. Just wanted to update this thread in case others have the same concern.
Tried with the USB plug next to wireless cellular phone charger but it does not recognize my external hard disk:(

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
47 Posts
You are right! I am not sure why my cruise control refused to work for a while there... Thank for pointing this out! Now even less reason to get tpms sensors...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there,
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
AC - This happened to me out of the blue last week - not even with a change of tires. I still have the original OEM's on and typically drive through the winter with them. The TPMS light came on and showed me my right rear tire was lower than the other 3 (all were down to 29 psi, the offending one to 28 psi). I filled them all to 35 psi and the light remained on. It took a couple of days before it finally went off. Interesting. That would happen on my wife's CR-V and as soon as I filled the tires and started the car, the TPMS would go off. Not used to waiting a day or two for it to turn off on the Kona at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
AC - This happened to me out of the blue last week - not even with a change of tires. I still have the original OEM's on and typically drive through the winter with them. The TPMS light came on and showed me my right rear tire was lower than the other 3 (all were down to 29 psi, the offending one to 28 psi). I filled them all to 35 psi and the light remained on. It took a couple of days before it finally went off. Interesting. That would happen on my wife's CR-V and as soon as I filled the tires and started the car, the TPMS would go off. Not used to waiting a day or two for it to turn off on the Kona at all.
I also had a similar experience. Must be something to do with distance traveled. It took mine about 50 miles before the light tripped with no TPMS sensors. I posted some info on the following post: Is it true there is no cruise control if you don't....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
Hi there,
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
Sweden here. I have a Kona electric
Hi there,
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
Sweden here, I have a Kona advanced. Same problem with the TPMS. Was told that you cant turn it off, you just have to live with it.
Stupid system if you cant have tyres without the TPMS and not turn the system off and its not worth 75 € per tyre.
Had I known about this I would have bought another car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sweden here. I have a Kona electric

Sweden here, I have a Kona advanced. Same problem with the TPMS. Was told that you cant turn it off, you just have to live with it.
Stupid system if you cant have tyres without the TPMS and not turn the system off and its not worth 75 € per tyre.
Had I known about this I would have bought another car.
Not sure about ALL cars but I had a Subaru and a Chevy before this and neither one would let you shut off the TPMS system so not just Hyundai.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts