Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
After about three weeks of my dealer replaced winter tires on my Kona EV 2020. I drove short distance trips around the city. Then all a sudden dashboard started to display "check tire pressure monitoring syst." message, tried to follow user manual intruction for the tire pressure monitoring function but the tire pressure info (car diagram) does not show at all. Is this a malfunction? This message does not go away, it stays there on the dashboard. Anyone knows what is wrong? Here I have attached the warning message on my car dashboard for reference.
53448[1].jpg

Thanks,
AC

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have not because the winter tires were installed by dealer, I would expect they have it setup properly. I am a retiree and newly relocated to Canada. I do not even have any tools for car, not even have a simple portable tire pressure gauge yet. Beside the gauge, what else do have to buy in order for me change tires myself? Cause dealer charge me over $150 service charges, needed to minimize my expenses. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it's a system malfunctioning, it'd be better get it serviced. Otherwise, since anything can happen on the road in 3 weeks, your tire might have damaged and lost some air over time(ie. tiny sharp object stuck in the tire and caused a damage).

It wouldn't hurt if you check your tire pressure first though. I bought MotoMaster 12V Digital Gauge Inflator from Canadian Tire, which checks tire pressure and inflates quickly. Relatively cheap too.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your advice BeVigilant. Will check it out at Canadian Tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, the same thing happened to me, but I was sort of expecting it. The cause is that the winter set that was swapped for the regular Kona wheels, are not fitted with pressure monitoring sensors. Hence the TPMS cannot get a signal from the wheels, and the warning message comes up. So unless you get special rims with the sensors, this will happen.

So the real issue for me is: Is there a way to turn off the TPMS? I mean just for the winter, and when the summer OEM wheels/tires are re-installed you would just enable it again. So far, I have not found a way to do it. .......Rickker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,
After about three weeks of my dealer replaced winter tires on my Kona EV 2020. I drove short distance trips around the city. Then all a sudden dashboard started to display "check tire pressure monitoring syst." message, tried to follow user manual intruction for the tire pressure monitoring function but the tire pressure info (car diagram) does not show at all. Is this a malfunction? This message does not go away, it stays there on the dashboard. Anyone knows what is wrong? Here I have attached the warning message on my car dashboard for reference.
View attachment 4841
Thanks,
AC
I agree with Rickker. They either did not install the TPMS sensors or installed them incorrectly. I, too, had the same problem when putting on snow tires. I actually had two sets of rims so once mounted, I swapped them back and forth myself. But, the winter tires/rims did not have the sensors. I just had to ignore the light for the winter and keep an eye on the tires until the Spring when I put the originals back on since I was told there is no way to stop the dashboard indicator (or use black tape as also suggested).

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Rickker. They either did not install the TPMS sensors or installed them incorrectly. I, too, had the same problem when putting on snow tires. I actually had two sets of rims so once mounted, I swapped them back and forth myself. But, the winter tires/rims did not have the sensors. I just had to ignore the light for the winter and keep an eye on the tires until the Spring when I put the originals back on since I was told there is no way to stop the dashboard indicator (or use black tape as also suggested).
Yes, confirmed by my dealer, the alert display is winter tires have not equipped with TPMS sensors. He suggested to manual monitor the tire pressure regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts