Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope someone can help please.

In December 2018 I purchased a new 2018 HYUNDAI KONA 2.0 NU EXECUTIVE A/T from a dealership in Cape Town (South Africa).

Some weeks ago (at +- 5000km), the check engine light came on. Took it to the workshop, who ran the diagnostic. Found no fault, reset the computer history. Light off.

A few weeks later, same problem. Took it to another workshop. Same process. Light off.

Last Friday, light comes on again. Car spent the whole day at the workshop. They couldn't find any fault, reset "adaptre values" (this is what the invoice says, I don't know what this is) and light off.

This morning the light goes on again. What the?

When the light goes on, the car revvs high, even when at a standstill at a traffic light.

Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience to share?

Thank you!!
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
The check engine light is for mostly minor issues. That can include a minor misfire or a loss of pressure in the fuel system, among many other possibilities. However, there has to be a code generated that causes the light to go on so I am dubious that you took it to two places that both said their wasn't "a fault". Something fired off the CEL. You also keep saying you took it to a workshop, but its not clear if they are Hyundai authorized repair centers (i.e. a dealer) or what. I'd be taking the car to a dealer if at all possible, not someone else.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do you have access to a code reader? Buy one or if you have a chain auto store they will normally check the code - have that information with you when you go to the dealer. Personally, the first thing I check when the CEL comes on is the gas cap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've used a professional code reader on my Kona. Not only are the active codes there, but there is also a history of every code that has ever existed. You can't erase the history, just the active codes.

I feel like you might be being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got a check engine light on my 2018 SE 2.0 (20k miles) the other morning. Had a previous rough cold idle on startup the day before and it tripped the next day. Could have been caused by water in the fuel possibly. Took it to the dealer and they shut it off for free. Tested and could not find anything. Light never appeared again. ::knock on wood:::

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolved, thanks

Thank you for each comment, I appreciate it.

I confirm that I took my car to an approved Hyundai dealership/workshop each time and got great service at no cost. After the 4th time, my car stayed at the dealership for 3 days. It seems the problem was a loose wire/sensor.

Two weeks on, an the light has remained off. So fingers crossed!

I will keep this thread here in case someone else has a similar problem in future.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to mention that I also dealt with a persistent check engine light with my 2018 Kona. It took the 4th visit to Hyundai service before a tech figured out what was wrong with it. It kept showing the evap leak code (P0455? I think it was this code) but they checked that there were no leaks. Turns out it was the purge valve that was stuck open. They replaced it and the light hasn't come back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to mention that I also dealt with a persistent check engine light with my 2018 Kona. It took the 4th visit to Hyundai service before a tech figured out what was wrong with it. It kept showing the evap leak code (P0455? I think it was this code) but they checked that there were no leaks. Turns out it was the purge valve that was stuck open. They replaced it and the light hasn't come back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem the engine light is on. I got it to dealership 2 times and again got on
I'm really upset. Hyundai is not a good car

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I have the same problem the engine light is on. I got it to dealership 2 times and again got on
I'm really upset. Hyundai is not a good car
Did they give you an explanation as to why the CEL is on ?
Error codes are logged and easily read..

·
Registered
512 Posts
What most people don't understand, is that the check engine light (cel) is a result of an issue, not a cause. A technician needs to troubleshoot backwards to find the cause. A P0455 code for instance is indeed an evap leak, but a purge valve, which is part of the evap system, is a common cause of the code. So is filling the car with fuel, while its running.

Another common code is a P0420, which is catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. There is a 99% chance this code will be diagnosed wrong. This code is saying the catalytic converter is not working as well as it should be. Most shops will automatically sell you a catalytic converter, as a quick way to make money. However, it is most commonly a vacuum or exhaust leak, bad oxygen sensor, clogged air filter, or even a dirty mass air flow sensor (on most Nissans, and non-turbo cars in general).

Unfortunately, i see this happen every day. Most, not all, but most shops will find the most expensive part 1st as the culprit, and hope the customer is satisfied. They will clear the light, and wait those 1st hundred or so miles, for when the light turns back on, and customer comes back. Its a sad cycle. When the code is cleared, the engine computer goes through a long series of checks/cycles. Its common that the cel will illuminate again even after fixing the vehicle properly, it will turn off by itself after about 500 miles, once the computer is satisfied.

Another tidbit of information, all cel codes are for emissions. Anything that effects emissions can throw a code. If the engine is misfiring, its not due to high or low fuel consumption, nor for engine performance, but for unburnt fuel leaving the engine, which effect emissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What most people don't understand, is that the check engine light (cel) is a result of an issue, not a cause. A technician needs to troubleshoot backwards to find the cause. A P0455 code for instance is indeed an evap leak, but a purge valve, which is part of the evap system, is a common cause of the code. So is filling the car with fuel, while its running.

Another common code is a P0420, which is catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. There is a 99% chance this code will be diagnosed wrong. This code is saying the catalytic converter is not working as well as it should be. Most shops will automatically sell you a catalytic converter, as a quick way to make money. However, it is most commonly a vacuum or exhaust leak, bad oxygen sensor, clogged air filter, or even a dirty mass air flow sensor (on most Nissans, and non-turbo cars in general).

Unfortunately, i see this happen every day. Most, not all, but most shops will find the most expensive part 1st as the culprit, and hope the customer is satisfied. They will clear the light, and wait those 1st hundred or so miles, for when the light turns back on, and customer comes back. Its a sad cycle. When the code is cleared, the engine computer goes through a long series of checks/cycles. Its common that the cel will illuminate again even after fixing the vehicle properly, it will turn off by itself after about 500 miles, once the computer is satisfied.

Another tidbit of information, all cel codes are for emissions. Anything that effects emissions can throw a code. If the engine is misfiring, its not due to high or low fuel consumption, nor for engine performance, but for unburnt fuel leaving the engine, which effect emissions.
I also left the care again in dealership they gave me rental car which I hate to use. It's a headache. I leased the car and cannot change it anymore. Very unhappy with kona. It's still there may be I show your writing to them

·
Registered
51 Posts
We had a Kia Soul for 8 years and during that time it gave me check engine light on 6 or 7 times. Misfire. I did a 10 second disconnect of the negative battery cable and the light did not come back.
That car was otherwise 100% trouble free until we sold it to get a Kona. Sold it 30 minutes after posting it on Craigs List.
Our 2018 Kona Limited threw a check engine light at 5,500 miles and I did the same. Immediately the light came back when started up again.
Chico CA, Hyundai dealer took care of it 3 months ago, did not throw a new code after.
We have the best warranty in the USA. Don't lose sleep over a check engine light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue. Check engine light came on on my 2018. Went to the dealer 12/4 and evap leak code (P0455? I think it was this code). They checked and cleared the code. They tried to blame me (loose gas cap, filling with engine running, etc) and charge me for the check. That got waived by the advisor. CEL light came back on 4 days later.

Took it back, and this time they took it more seriously. Gave me a loaner and 2 days later said they ordered a new charcoal canister. Should have it back in a couple of days. I'll post an update in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update and issue is resolved. Dealer had the car for a week. The did tests of purge valves and a couple things. Contacted Techline. They replaced the charcoal canister. The drove it for 140 miles and no light. Now a total of 300 miles later and no CEL. Expect that it will stay off now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update - CEL came back on. Back to the dealer. They just called me and said they are going to replace the fuel tank. Of course, now they tell they have had 3 Kona's that had the tank replaced and finally resolved the issue. FYI, this is looking like a known issue as the tank is on back order and not expected to be in stock for 2+ weeks. So looking at 3 weeks wait. Luckily I have a loaded Tuscon loaner, so not all is bad. Just frustrating. Still no TSB on this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently, my Kona 1.0 TGDI Manual Check Engine Light came on, noticed as well that there was power loss and an increase in fuel consumption.Took it to my dealership for a diagnostic check-up, they error code indicated an issue with the Oxygen Sensor. They reset the code, took it for a test drive and found the car was fine, told me to take it drive it and monitor. Vehicle was fine during the day thereafter. The same evening, the light came back on again, so took it back to the dealership to sort out.

They have kept the car in for 2 days, did thorough diagnostics, ran it the vehicle while connected to the GDS unit they have and picked up the same code but noted a backfire as well in the vehicle. The cleaned the sensor contacts, reset the auto adapters, took the vehicle for a test drive and monitored it for that period and found it was behaving fine and the issues seemingly resolved.

Go up this morning to fetch the vehicle, they start it up cold and the backfiring is back but this time the CEL light remains off - yet they can here the backfiring. Did a quick diagnostics and it doesnt indicate any errors. So they have now logged a fault with the head office technical for assistance on the matter to advise them on what else they should check based on the diagnostics history that was done in the past couple of days. They have had to keep the car in again today..3rd day, hoping they can come through with some sort of resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car was purchased on Feb 2019 and ran around 16700 KM. I didn't drive my 2.0 L Preferred Kona for 3 weeks because I was out of city for vacation. After I returned, I noticed that car lost its performance while accelerating in highway. Also I noticed it have a slight misfire at idling when car is at Park mode. Couldn't feel misfire while driving. Check engine lamp glow on next day on my way to work. Soon after that I took it to Focus Hyundai in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. They took the car in and let me know that they found a misfire code in scan tool, and also been told by service advisor that they erased the code for now can take car back its good to go now. In the customer invoice I can see that they found P0300 misfire cylinder and P219E00 cyinder 3 air/fuel imbalance.

Confirmed again with service advisor that should I leave my car here for thorough diagnostics but he advised to take car back because its all good to go now and no need to worry. But on my way to job from dealership check engine lamp started to glow again. Contacted service advisor and this time he asked to leave the car at dealership and they are not sure about how many days that they going to take for rectify this issue. Asked for a loaner car option to service manager but Focus Hyundai service manager was bit rude and told me that they don't have a service loaner to give it to me. If I would bought car from them, then they might take some actions to give me one. Another option provided to me was go with a Enterprise rental car and pay for it. Dealership will only pay for the rental car only if I have purchased extended warranty otherwise I have to pay for each day for Enterprise rental car that they can provide to me. I didn't understand the logic behind it why Hyundai will not cover the cost for rental car even if the car is in normal warranty. I contacted Hyundai Canada customer care to validate this rental car policy but customer care executive couldn't provide the information that I asked for.

I inquired with different dealerships in Winnipeg city to see whether anyone have any loaner car and the reply was all negative. I didn't drive car for 2 weeks and managed to be at job by car pooling and using transit options. After continuous emails and phone calls for many days with service manager in Winnipeg Hyundai where I purchased my car originally, been informed that there will be a service loaner car available in the following week. Delivered car at the dealership 2 weeks ago. Last thing that I heard from them that initially they found it has a Cylinder 3 injector issue and replaced the injector but still check engine lamp is glowing. Will update me when they progress with diagnosis. Now its been 2 weeks that car is in dealership and didn't hear anything back. Hoping that they can fix the issue soon. I am managing with service loaner that they provided to me.

So I want to share this experience with fellow forum members for your awareness. I recommend to purchase extended warranty because of this coverage of expenses for a loaner car by Hyundai warranty other than regular pros of having extended warranty. Also please make sure the dealership that you buy you car from have loaner car/s (for service department not for accident repair shop) so that you will have a car for daily needs if your car is at dealership. I don't have a second car at home that is why I urged for a loaner car from dealership. If you can manage without a car then please disregard my suggestion.

I will also update everyone if I hear anything back from dealership regarding the fix for this misfire trouble. Also want to simply suggest that please don't loose your sleep for this kind of issues but also don't give up. Keep pushing dealership team. Try knocking other doors if one is closed. Hope it will be beneficial to someone.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts