Hyundai Kona Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Good morning

Thank you very much for your insight and advice.
So what do you get from your battery when you driving your Kona in terms of kilowatt per mile please?
I'm only getting 4.3 kilowat per ,mile on mine now and it's set for the economy mode with the highest regen settings, so I don't drive it in sport or normal mode but only in eco mode if you look at my numbers in the screen shot picture, is this normal please?.
I look forward to you reply.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

· Registered
571 Posts
If you read the units correctly you’re getting 4.3 miles per kWh which is very good. The advertised range is "up to 300 miles" which works out to 4.7.
In practice you'll find that speed and ambient temperature have the biggest impact. Regen levels and drive modes don't matter all that much.

· Registered
33 Posts
Good morning ☀ Oh ,you're right I'm reading all wrong, so sorry still a novice to Hyundai Kona EV.
That's good news then cause I was a bit worried that I'm not getting a lot in terms of Kilowatt per mile.
Yes the cold weather definitely has an impact on the battery/driving range.
Did you ever charged the battery to 100% and if so, what driving range you got out of the battery please?
Do you have any advice for a good home charging point that doesn't cost an arm and a leg by any chance please?
Thank you so much for your help, I'm in your debt.

· Registered
571 Posts
... Did you ever charged the battery to 100% and if so, what driving range you got out of the battery please?
Do you have any advice for a good home charging point that doesn't cost an arm and a leg by any chance please?
I'd suggest going to this site Hyundai Kona regarding asking advice on a home charger specific to the UK and your local region.

I'm not allowed to charge to 100% until I get a new battery installed, hopefully sometime in the next 6 months, so I can't tell you what range I get. Even if I did, it's so dependant on ambient temperature and individual driving style as to be of little value to other owners. I expect about 22% loss of charge for every 100km I need to drive and try to keep it over 30% SoC.

· Registered
33 Posts
I'd suggest going to this site Hyundai Kona regarding asking advice on a home charger specific to the UK and your local region.

I'm not allowed to charge to 100% until I get a new battery installed, hopefully sometime in the next 6 months, so I can't tell you what range I get. Even if I did, it's so dependant on ambient temperature and individual driving style as to be of little value to other owners. I expect about 22% loss of charge for every 100km I need to drive and try to keep it over 30% SoC.

Good morning

Great stuff, thank you so much for your expert advice, highly appreciated.
What happened to your battery please?
Thank you.

· Registered
2020 Kona EV Limited
43 Posts
Hi All,this is a great forum.Im basically in the same boat with a lot of you lot out there.
I'm a owner of a brand new Hyundai Kona Electric 2021 64/150 Khw here in the UK.
For the time being I've only charged my car from the home socket and only from 30% to -80%
It is a very slow charge.
I'm planning to have a charging point fitted at home soon.
Here in the UK the temperature gone down to 2Celsius
I've set up the battery protection winter mode in the settings in my Hyundai Kona Electric , however this takes a bit from the driving range.
My question to you guys is ,what are the numbers you are getting in terms of Kilowatt per mile in your Hyundai Kona please?
I've attached my energy consumption picture for my car, please feel free to comment on it.
I'd like also to mention that I've just switched to electric from a petrol car not long ago,this is my first electric car.
Please let me know your thoughts on this and please feel free to add some free advice for my car,it will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi All,this is a great forum.Im basically in the same boat with a lot of you lot out there.
I'm a owner of a brand new Hyundai Kona Electric 2021 64/150 Khw here in the UK.
For the time being I've only charged my car from the home socket and only from 30% to -80%
It is a very slow charge.
I'm planning to have a charging point fitted at home soon.
Here in the UK the temperature gone down to 2Celsius
I've set up the battery protection winter mode in the settings in my Hyundai Kona Electric , however this takes a bit from the driving range.
My question to you guys is ,what are the numbers you are getting in terms of Kilowatt per mile in your Hyundai Kona please?
I've attached my energy consumption picture for my car, please feel free to comment on it.
I'd like also to mention that I've just switched to electric from a petrol car not long ago,this is my first electric car.
Please let me know your thoughts on this and please feel free to add some free advice for my car,it will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
2 Celsius is cold. My Kona has gone from averaging 5.2 kWh to 4.3 since the weather has changed. I was wondering if your car has a heat pump? Mine does not since it's an early 2020 and I'm in the U.S. If you have one that should help with the cold weather mileage. I have not as yet tried "winter mode" but I read it comes on automatically at a certain temperature. - Susanne

· Registered
33 Posts
2 Celsius is cold. My Kona has gone from averaging 5.2 kWh to 4.3 since the weather has changed. I was wondering if your car has a heat pump? Mine does not since it's an early 2020 and I'm in the U.S. If you have one that should help with the cold weather mileage. I have not as yet tried "winter mode" but I read it comes on automatically at a certain temperature. - Susanne

Hi Susanne

Thanks for reaching out.
Now the temperature has gone up to 11-12 Celsius for now.
I'm not sure the winter mode comes on automatically as I've had to set it up in the settings, it also says that using winter mode will take some percentage/battery when using it.
No my Kona is a 2021 model and it has no heat pump, I wanted one with heat pump on board but no Kona vehicles are equipped with one.
I've been told by the dealership that the 2022 Kona EV will come with a heat pump on board as standard.
Hyundai UK used to charge over £800 to have the heat pump fitted on board as optional extras but not any more I've been told this also by the dealership.
Thank you.-Valy

· Registered
33 Posts
The battery in my car is subject to a recall affecting early examples. There are many posts on the subject across forums and social media. Other than that, the car has been faultless.
Hi

Sorry to hear about your battery, is yours the Kona EV 2019 model one then please?
Do you know if there's any issues with the battery in the Kona EV newer models please?
Thank you-Valy

· Registered
119 Posts
I am a new Kona EV owner - had the car almost 3 weeks now. I know this is a topic that has been discussed but I can never find a black and white answer. I even emailed Hyundai and got some sort of canned email response about contacting my local dealership. The dealership was nice and all but when it came to this Kona EV they really didn't seem to much about the EV version. I knew way more than they knew. I would love to charge to 100% and I did it the 1st couple of Level 2 charges. Then got spooked and set the limit for 80%. I read a couple places (other forums - nothing from Hyundai) that Hyundai created a safety limit and when our cars say 100% that is actually 80% to protect the battery. If that is the case I'd love to charge to 100%. Does anyone actually know?
In my experience, 80% is for hot changes, on trips or in very hot weather. At home I charge at 7.7kw and have no problem getting a full charge every time.
I hope this helps

· Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
83 Posts
Winter mode is kind of useless. It turns on the battery heater automatically at some point to prepare the car for fast charging (the battery will not charge very fast when it is cold like below 0 celcius). The trouble is, it uses a ton of power to heat the battery and only works automatically. It could be useful if you could manually switch it on but having it come on automatically when you may or may not charge is not very useful in my optinion.

· Registered
15 Posts
I am a new Kona EV owner - had the car almost 3 weeks now. I know this is a topic that has been discussed but I can never find a black and white answer. I even emailed Hyundai and got some sort of canned email response about contacting my local dealership. The dealership was nice and all but when it came to this Kona EV they really didn't seem to much about the EV version. I knew way more than they knew. I would love to charge to 100% and I did it the 1st couple of Level 2 charges. Then got spooked and set the limit for 80%. I read a couple places (other forums - nothing from Hyundai) that Hyundai created a safety limit and when our cars say 100% that is actually 80% to protect the battery. If that is the case I'd love to charge to 100%. Does anyone actually know?
A good rule I follow for batteries is the 80-40 rule. This is their happy place. They don't like going under 40% or above 80%. I'll let my kona charge to 90% if I know it's going to be below freezing out. Other than that, I rarely go to 100%. I usually have no reason to.

· Registered
74 Posts
We just got a new 2021 Kona with 150 miles on the odo. We got a good deal and the dealer had already replaced the battery because of the recall. I have been home charging it to 60% and at the end of the day the battery is at about 20%.

Would 70% to 30% be better?

How harmful is it to occasionally charge to 100% for a long trip?

First time EV owner so will appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

· Registered
571 Posts
"Yes" and "not at all" because you're using the 100% right away. Think of it as time sitting at a particular SoC. Minimise the time at the edges to get the best battery life.
----------
You probably just wanted that simple answer but here's the background.

According to a leaked datasheet from LG, life for their E63 Kona cells is measured by charging 0-97% and discharging 97-0% over and over and tracking degradation. That (BMS) range is actually mapped to 0-100% on the dashboard. The cells reach about 1200 of those full-charge cycles before degradation hits 80% of the capacity when new.

According to tests from "Battery University" (which is not a real university, lol) degradation of common Li-po 16850 cells from use spanning different SoC ranges is higher when going to the ends rather than staying near the middle. As a result, an EV owner who doesn't need the entire capacity in one trip and wants to extend battery life can "game the stats" by only using the middle bit of the range.

Take the capacity you need in a day (e.g. 20%) and spread that evenly across 55%, (e.g. 45 to 65%). If you want allow for an unexpected trip, modify the range so that you have enough charge to can handle that trip if needed. Consider if you have a DC fast charger nearby that can be used for a quick boost for an unexpected rare trip as an alternative to using a higher part of the range on a daily basis.

I'm being a bit arbitrary with saying "55%" as a centerpoint because in fact Li-po batteries are apparently happier closer to 40 but that doesn't give you much room to drive anywhere.

I use about 20% every 3 days so charge to about 65 and run it down to 45 or lower before charging again. I could charge for less every night but I can't be bothered plugging it in. Certainly if I expect to go on a trip I'll charge it to the max so that it's ready to go when I need it.

There's no downside to charging as often as you like, as little as you like. Only charging over 50kW is considered "fast" for this 64 kWh pack. At home on AC, all charging rates are considered to be "slow". One tip though, AC charging is more efficient at the full 230 or 240V and 32 amps than it is at lower power. I only charge at 1.6 kW (230V-8A) and it's only 75% efficient. So, having a 32 amp charger does have a long-term payoff other than just speed because the efficiency is closer to 85%.

· Registered
74 Posts
Thank you so much! I do have a level 2 charger at home now and it seems to charge at 7.5kW.

How do you charge to 65%? My car has 10% increments so I can stop at 60% or 70%.

I have one other question: Does the Kona's battery cooling system work even if it is parked with the ignition "off"? My wife needs to park it outdoors in the sun when she is at work in the summer. If the summer sun heats up the battery when the car is parked, does the cooling system kick in can cool the battery?

Thanks

· Registered
571 Posts
How do you charge to 65%? My car has 10% increments so I can stop at 60% or 70%.
Yeah, that may not be practical so just do 70%. You will find that the percent added per hour is very consistent so once you know that it can be exploited to fine tune the off-peak timer settings.
Does the Kona's battery cooling system work even if it is parked with the ignition "off"?
I never heard anyone mention that if it does that. If your ambient is approaching 104°F that's not ideal. One ex-owner Esprit1st lived in Las Vegas, perhaps he can answer but you'd have to ask on the InsideEVs forum. I think he has an Ioniq 5 now.
Generally the battery works better at warmer temps but it can also accelerate degradation.

· Registered
416 Posts
I think it is unlikely, the the car would decide to run the battery cooling systerm because it was sitting in the sun and warmed up. If it did that, and you parked in a sunny location , you could get an unpleasant surprise finding that the car used up a ton of charge, just trying to keep itself cool. (I am making a guess here). The only cicumstantial evidence I can offer is that I have never hear the car making any noise when off and parked, regardless of the external temp.

· Registered
32 Posts
I think it is unlikely, the the car would decide to run the battery cooling systerm because it was sitting in the sun and warmed up. If it did that, and you parked in a sunny location , you could get an unpleasant surprise finding that the car used up a ton of charge, just trying to keep itself cool. (I am making a guess here). The only cicumstantial evidence I can offer is that I have never hear the car making any noise when off and parked, regardless of the external temp.
I believe Tesla warms/cools their battery while parked, but only if plugged in. That’s why they recommend always keeping their cars plugged in, even if no charge is needed. Not sure if Hyundai does this or nor, but they should.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new to electric vehicles in general and I'm not getting information from my dealer regarding this low mileage 2021 Kona EV that I have just purchased. HyundaiUSA Customer Care keeps refering me back to the dealer!

My friends that have other brand EVs, tell me that I should just charge to 80% and only let it go to 100% when I'm about to leave on a longer trip. My question is, what in the software (or hardware) can I tell it to do that? Any help I can get will be appreciated.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts