Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed a tire in a Kona electric with a hydraulic jack? There is no instruction in the owner’s manual about the changing procedure, meaning the use of the lifting points. As the electric version is heavier than the petrol version is it safe to use the lifting points?
In the tire shops or service garage they lift the whole car using all of the four lifting points at the same time. So the force/stress is more or less equal on each point. But when lifting only from one point the stress is different.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The lifting points are on the seam under the door sills, between the notches in the seam. A jack adapter should be like a square tube with a slot in it so that the seam slips into the slot and the shoulders of the tube bear on the flat underbody of the sill. Ie, the weight should not be taken edgewise on the seam.

It is perfectly OK to lift the car at one jack point to change a wheel.

Rectangle Slope Font Automotive exterior Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lifting points are on the seam under the door sills, between the notches in the seam. A jack adapter should be like a square tube with a slot in it so that the seam slips into the slot and the shoulders of the tube bear on the flat underbody of the sill. Ie, the weight should not be taken edgewise on the seam.

It is perfectly OK to lift the car at one jack point to change a wheel.

View attachment 6150
Thank you very much! I figured that something like this has to be used.

I did the change to winter wheels today by lifting the car from the lower arms. At the rear end it's very safe as you can install the jack just under the rear springs.
At the front end it works but I would like to have had the jack a bit closer to the tire. But I had a wooden block to distribute the weight to a larger area. It worked well also.

Cheers,
Tapani

1 - 3 of 3 Posts