Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I thought the same thing but while at the tuner I asked what that was /is and he stated the high pressure fuel pump. There is a low pressure in the tank and high pressure that is mounted on top of the engine that is cam driven. I also saw this in a picture at the dealer and thought it was odd but that is the design for these.
Interesting! usually this is what the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump is for. Weird they would need an additional pump, go figure!:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
20 Posts
Interesting! usually this is what the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump is for. Weird they would need an additional pump, go figure!:smile:

Blessings and Peace
On a direct gas injection, the main low pressure pump is only about 43psi lift pump. sends the fuel to the high pressure pump onto of the engine, which follows a cam profile. That High pressure pump raises the fuel pressure from 43psi to 250psi. This is to insure proper fuel spray directly into the engine, for both performance, emissions, and fuel economy.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a18690244/how-direct-injection-works/

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the link!! Learn something new everyday. Here's another one.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
High Pressure pump.

With that being said, I did take the time to listen to the engine on startup cold, I am not sure but the only thing you can hear and have heard this and also with the hood open next to the front is that on startup you hear the valves also only way to hear the fuel pump which sounds like a pulse sprinkler. The valves do quiet down when the idle comes down minute or so and again as we are new to this engine I will take all this ticking, card in spokes noise as all Normal and all good.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Different point of view is all. Didn't hear any bashing. I thought it a frank, honest, review with a bit of Australian dry humor.

Blessing and Peace

Reactions: robokona

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Different point of view is all. Didn't hear any bashing. I thought it a frank, honest, review with a bit of Australian dry humor.

https://youtu.be/E4D7Mzc9Hvw

Blessing and Peace

Nope, never heard any bashing from John on the Kona. I have seen every video he has done on the Kona. He does talk about sex and butt's a bit too much for me though. :surprise: He comes off as a bit of a "Ranger", but to each his own.:surprise:I took his reviews as Pro Kona and Pro Hyundai.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Absolutely!:smile:

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a Kona Ultimate AWD 1.6T almost 3 months ago. Enjoying this fun CUV, except one annoying issue. Has anyone else with the 1.6T noticed a weird whirring/buzzing noise from the engine when you accelerate at low rpm's first thing in the morning until the engine reaches normal operating temperature? Even when fully warm and on a 90 degree day, I can still hear it, just much less noticeable then when cold. Didn't notice this at all when new, but started once I got about 2,000 miles under my belt. I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I wondered if I was alone in my experience. Thanks!
My Kona does this as well. I have a base model version. It's very noticeable from the drivers seat and its a loud low pitched groan/whirring sound. Seems to only happen when it's cold and very noticeable at low idle/excelleration. Seems to be coming from the mechanical parts in the engine bay.

I know it's not tire noise.

Has anyone had this diagnosed by Hyundai?

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it as long as it goes away when it comes up to normal operating temp.. My engine makes lots of noises until everything heats up and expands to operating tolerances..
The Driveline components use rubber isolation bushings that are hard when cold and transmit all kinds of noises and vibrations into the cabin.. as they heat up, they absorb these noises and vibrations and keep them from entering the cabin..

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
It's the high pressure Fuel Injection pump. Nothing to worry about it's normal.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, I'm hearing some cold start noise as well. I'm not worried about it at this point, though. Modern cars are really pretty good at noticing issues and alerting you with a warning light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey mine is the 2019 2.0 L non turbo. I also heard this weird noise in morning especially after cold start. If you press your accelerator pedal the noise gets elevated. Feels like valve or camshaft noise but not sure. My car had almost 13000 KMS here in Canada. This noise was not there before, and just started a month ago. Its getting worse when its more cold outside.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
If everything sounds OK when up to operating temperature, there most likely isn’t an issue.
You should Ask the dealer if you think you have an issue..

Hey mine is the 2019 2.0 L non turbo. I also heard this weird noise in morning especially after cold start. If you press your accelerator pedal the noise gets elevated. Feels like valve or camshaft noise but not sure. My car had almost 13000 KMS here in Canada. This noise was not there before, and just started a month ago. Its getting worse when its more cold outside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any other news about this "old" problem? I know it was more than 2 years ago, but I am experiencing the same problem now. It is 100% something related to the turbo, so definitely no fuel pump or road noise. It sounds like a fan is rotating slightly out of axes, similar to a big computer internal fan when it gets old. It gets quieter when the engine is warm, but I hear it all the time if the music is off. It quite annoys me as it feels I am driving a toy. Any ideas?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts