Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Kona Ultimate AWD 1.6T almost 3 months ago. Enjoying this fun CUV, except one annoying issue. Has anyone else with the 1.6T noticed a weird whirring/buzzing noise from the engine when you accelerate at low rpm's first thing in the morning until the engine reaches normal operating temperature? Even when fully warm and on a 90 degree day, I can still hear it, just much less noticeable then when cold. Didn't notice this at all when new, but started once I got about 2,000 miles under my belt. I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I wondered if I was alone in my experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...thanks. the sound is like a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel, so you'd notice it with the radio off. Looks like I'll need to take it in for service already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I’m no machanic, but I believe what you are hearing is the turbo spooling up. This is my 1st turbo vehicle, and I did some research typical characteristics of a turbocharged engine. Please chime in if someone has any better knowledge!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My last 3 cars have been turbo 4 cylinders, and none of them have made this sound. So if it's the turbo, I've got a turbocharger that's going bad. Guess I'm the only one hearing this noise. I do have one of the early builds/VIN's. After the holiday, I'll take it up to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
If a Turbo was going bad it would not take long to fail. Hence, you wouldn't hear the whirring sound. The Turbo is located just in front of the firewall near the middle of the engine and lower, so it's likely it's just the normal turbo noise. However, without you actually making a recording of the sound and posting it here for us to hear, it's a moot point.

Just a couple of questions;

1. Does it make the noise when you're at idle setting still? (If so, open the hood and listen to the sound of the engine at idle or under a above idle load.)

2. Do you hear it and does it increase on acceleration or when you press on the accelerator?

3. Are you utilizing the AC regularly.

4. Are you utilizing the radio on a non-channel, other wise an open air channel without knowing it?

5. Check to see if you are and if you are near a high EMF output tower or cell tower.

6. Check and see if there is anything in or around the electric radiator fan shroud, you'd be surprised what can get in there sometimes.

Reason why I'm asking you these questions are; you really haven't given us a very good description of the location of the noise other than in engine, or provided a very good description. It could be a number of things and not all bad.

It's certainly not a bad turbo by your description so far. When a turbo fails, it does so dramatically and quickly. You'll know it also, it's very distinctive in nature. So if it's been around for awhile, (3 months) it's not a turbo failing, you can be assured. If it's at 90 degrees ambient temp outside or less at start up it might be related to the radiator fan operation. All else fails, take it to the dealer and let them test drive it and they'll be able to diagnosis if their is an actual issue or not.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Didn't think about this one, thank you. Just to many variables to deal with.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Well I listen to our Kona well this morning. I heard what I believe you are referring to. It sounds like a heat shield vibration not as pronounced but never the less this what you described. Could be exhaust, down pipe or turbo. I'm pretty sure this is want you are hearing.

The only way to actually locate it is to put it on a lift or ramps so you can check all three places at idle. Please make sure you pay attention; "If you use ramps, utilizing rear wheel chocks please.":smile:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I picked up a Kona Ultimate AWD 1.6T almost 3 months ago. Enjoying this fun CUV, except one annoying issue. Has anyone else with the 1.6T noticed a weird whirring/buzzing noise from the engine when you accelerate at low rpm's first thing in the morning until the engine reaches normal operating temperature? Even when fully warm and on a 90 degree day, I can still hear it, just much less noticeable then when cold. Didn't notice this at all when new, but started once I got about 2,000 miles under my belt. I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I wondered if I was alone in my experience. Thanks!

I have heard that sound too now 1,400 miles on my Kona. It sounds like playing cars in bike spokes. Next time I get that sound I will stop the engine and restart and see if it changes anything. Weird.....

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Yeah it's one of the heat shields on the exhaust vibrating. You'll mostly hear it when is cold and at start up. I'll find it eventually and post which one. May need to be tightened or bent out a little:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah it's one of the heat shields on the exhaust vibrating. You'll mostly hear it when is cold and at start up. I'll find it eventually and post which one. May need to be tightened or bent out a little:smile:

Blessings and Peace

No, this is some kind of engine fuel injection/idle circuit sound. It is definitely not a heat shield. It's a mechanical solenoid cycling, but for what??? It is very annoying sounding to top it off. Time will tell.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Strange but I have not heard anything like what is stated, though I had to get use to the clutches on transmission clicking when in gear and when parked especially in my garage. And what is described does not sound like a heat shield rattle as I have good experience with that on a Subaru which is notorious for it.

Though we are all new to this vehicle and the design and as I am not use to having a vehicle with a high pressure mechanical fuel pump on top mount also the turbo being mounted on top vs the Elantra etc on the backside of the engine. Also to add these might have a slightly thinner engine firewall than most so engine noise transmitting through into the cabin could also be it but then hard to say without a video or sound recording.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Haven't hear any thing else that resembles it what's being described. I know when metal gets really hot and starts to cool, it will make a synchronistic popping sound similar to what's being described but this is only a guess. Does the sound speed up with throttle application?

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts

Are you still hearing this noise if so, can you first on start up take a video with sound and then one driving it cold so we can listen to the clips.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Mine too makes a loud ticking noise, but i know what mine is. Its the High pressure fuel pump sitting on the top of the engine.Very common with direct gas injection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you still hearing this noise if so, can you first on start up take a video with sound and then one driving it cold so we can listen to the clips.
Yes, I hear this everyday. Even after it's fully warmed up, I hear it (albeit, more faint). I'm almost due for my first oil change, I'll take in and see what they say. It's definitely not a heat shield issue. It's from the engine, when you are on the throttle lightly between 1,400 and 1,800 rpm. I was beginning to think I was the only one to hear this. Actually, this guy noticed it in his review as well.

Driven: Hyundai Kona | Car Reviews | by Car Enthusiast

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Mine too makes a loud ticking noise, but i know what mine is. Its the High pressure fuel pump sitting on the top of the engine.Very common with direct gas injection.
Sorry but I believe the fuel pump is located in the tank, as in most Hyundais and not on the top of the engine. This would be a major safety related problem for any vehicle. Maybe you meant to say a high pressure fuel injection pump possibly?:smile:

This is an actual photo of the high pressure Fuel Injection Pump

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought the same thing but while at the tuner I asked what that was /is and he stated the high pressure fuel pump. There is a low pressure in the tank and high pressure that is mounted on top of the engine that is cam driven. I also saw this in a picture at the dealer and thought it was odd but that is the design for these.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts