Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2018 1.0 Manual Kona with 6000km.
When I unpark of turn on very low speed, I can hear a buzzing/electrical sound coming from steering wheel.
I can hear it only with closed window and without music and while doing big turns like unparking.

Does anyone experiencing this noise, is it something normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Hello,

When I unpark of turn on very low speed, I can hear a buzzing/electrical sound coming from steering wheel.
I can hear it only with closed window and without music and while doing big turns like unparking.

Its most likely the electric steering motor which is mounted on the steering column..
I would say its normal under those conditions..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its most likely the electric steering motor which is mounted on the steering column..
I would say its normal under those conditions..
I thought the same too and that I did not notice it until now.
Can you reproduce it? (In case you have a Kona)

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
I thought the same too and that I did not notice it until now.
Can you reproduce it? (In case you have a Kona)
I haven’t heard it make any noise as of yet.. Nor have I driven it slow and actively listened for it.. will see if anyone else has Noticed this sound..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven’t heard it make any noise as of yet.. Nor have I driven it slow and actively listened for it.. will see if anyone else has Noticed this sound..
Thanks.
One easy way is when stopped, without any music, try to do big turns of the steering wheel and it could be reproduced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reviving the thread.
I visited the dealership service today.
They heard the noise and it seemed strange to them. However did not manage to find the cause although they dismantled the steering wheel. Then the went to the exhibition and tried the Kona for the test drive and another Kona of a salesman. Both did the same noise. So they guess it is normal.

But after some hours I found this post

I don't know what to do

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up ! Glad you at least found out the noise is "normal".
Some cars have the electric motor for the steering assist attached to the steering rack instead of the inside steering column, which is better for feed back and response.. but more expensive to implement..

Reviving the thread.
I visited the dealership service today.
They heard the noise and it seemed strange to them. However did not manage to find the cause although they dismantled the steering wheel. Then the went to the exhibition and tried the Kona for the test drive and another Kona of a salesman. Both did the same noise. So they guess it is normal.

But after some hours I found this post

I don't know what to do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the follow-up ! Glad you at least found out the noise is "normal".
Some cars have the electric motor for the steering assist attached to the steering rack instead of the inside steering column, which is better for feed back and response.. but more expensive to implement..
Actually, based on some investigation I did it is not normal. Many Kona owners face it and in all cases, replacing the steering column fixed the noise. However in my case I have to persuade the service point that this is the solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Yes and they should fix as your car won't be that old being a kona.
It's the steering column by the way and not normal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I forgot to update.
After some pressure to the dealership, they finally replaced the steering column. A senior engineer came from local Hyundai HQ to the dealership, inspected the problem and after about 2 seconds hearing the rubbing noise he immediately mentioned steering column replacement.. No problems so far after 3 months. Keep in mind that the part needed 3 months to arrive from Korea. However he guaranteed that this problem is just cosmetic. No danger at all. In any case, I did not want to live with this, so I got it replaced.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OR, a "clock spring" we have seen a few here replaced over the short years on this site.

Just one of many different sounds a clock spring can sound like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After some pressure to the dealership, they finally replaced the steering column. A senior engineer came from local Hyundai HQ to the dealership, inspected the problem and after about 2 seconds hearing the rubbing noise he immediately mentioned steering column replacement.. No problems so far after 3 months. Keep in mind that the part needed 3 months to arrive from Korea. However he guaranteed that this problem is just cosmetic. No danger at all. In any case, I did not want to live with this, so I got it replaced.
I have a pre owned 2019 witk 22k and hearing noise coming from steering wheel. Hyundai dealership will repair this at no cost.... correct?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yes, but I think you don't get the 100,000 mile drive train, that I think only goes to the original buyer. I think you get the 36,000 mile drive train warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Omg I thought u was going crazy hearing stuff since I just bought my 2019 Kona last May and the rubbing sound when I turn is becoming annoying! Good to know there’s no danger but will definitely take it in and hopefully they will replace it since it’s still under warranty! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

My 2019 Kona Ultimate that is exactly one year in use and only has 5,000 miles, suddenly developed a scratchy sound from the steering wheel.
My Hyundai service tech told me that he has heard this before and that I needed a new worm gear. Its on order for me but currently on backorder.
Seems other KONA jockeys hav ethe same problem. No big deal, itll get fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts