Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a Blow Off Valve on their 2019 Kona (1.6T)? And is it safe to have a blow off valve or will it mess with the tuning having it blow into the atmosphere? Also, has anyone put a SAR system on their 2019 Kona and if so which one and did you see any added HP..? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Has anyone put a Blow Off Valve on their 2019 Kona (1.6T)? And is it safe to have a blow off valve or will it mess with the tuning having it blow into the atmosphere? Also, has anyone put a SAR system on their 2019 Kona and if so which one and did you see any added HP..? Thanks in advance!

That will give you ZERO engine and drivetrain warranty. Are you ready to give that up when 14% to 16% of all Hyundai motors go bad withing the 100,000 drivetrain warranty?

·
Registered
534 Posts
A blow off valve is just a noise maker. The recirc is the better way to go, less turbo lag.

Technically the oe intake is already a short ram. The scoop is at the top of the grill. There is about 1 foot of piping between the top of the grill and the airbox. The intake expands to 4.5" wide just after the recirc hose connects. The stock intake is good for about 400hp. Any other variation on the intake will only change sound, and looks, no performance gain.

Changing the intake does not void the warranty here in the USA. It has no performance effect. Changing to a BOV will effect performance in a negative way and can void the warranty, if the bov fails, and the engine/intake manifold/throttle body blows up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A blow off valve is just a noise maker. The recirc is the better way to go, less turbo lag.

Technically the oe intake is already a short ram. The scoop is at the top of the grill. There is about 1 foot of piping between the top of the grill and the airbox. The intake expands to 4.5" wide just after the recirc hose connects. The stock intake is good for about 400hp. Any other variation on the intake will only change sound, and looks, no performance gain.

Changing the intake does not void the warranty here in the USA. It has no performance effect. Changing to a BOV will effect performance in a negative way and can void the warranty, if the bov fails, and the engine/intake manifold/throttle body blows up.
Thanks! Appreciate your input! So I'm thinking I just drop a K&N filter in the existing box. As for the BOV...I definitely like the way they sound..call me childish... lol. But if it's even possibly going to hinder performance...then it's a hard no. I definitely experience turbo lag especially when taking off. But it isn't "horrible". Another quick question...I want to have 3 gauges (boost/vac, oil pressure & air to fuel ratio) I tried ordering a triple gauge pod (pillar)..it was "universal" which we all know isn't...lol. So I started looking at the Autometer Dashlink OBDII module it retails for $149.99 and looks like it would be an awesome tool to use to display those gauges and others. Has anyone heard of or had experience with this product or another one similar?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate your input! So I'm thinking I just drop a K&N filter in the existing box. As for the BOV...I definitely like the way they sound..call me childish... lol. But if it's even possibly going to hinder performance...then it's a hard no. I definitely experience turbo lag especially when taking off. But it isn't "horrible". Another quick question...I want to have 3 gauges (boost/vac, oil pressure & air to fuel ratio) I tried ordering a triple gauge pod (pillar)..it was "universal" which we all know isn't...lol. So I started looking at the Autometer Dashlink OBDII module it retails for $149.99 and looks like it would be an awesome tool to use to display those gauges and others. Has anyone heard of or had experience with this product or another one similar?
My model doesn't use the center speaker in the dash, im thinking of making a pop up gauge pod there.
I use a scangauge II on my steering column, it works till i have enough time to make some pods for a PLX gauge set i have. https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/ Dont go buy the Price, can be found under $100 almost everywhere.

As for that lag issue, i suggest a hotside intake resonator delete. It helps with alot of lag in sport mode, and though it helps in normal, it doesn't seem to be as significant. You can make your own if you like, or purchase one pre-made from shops like sxth element. https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My model doesn't use the center speaker in the dash, im thinking of making a pop up gauge pod there.
I use a scangauge II on my steering column, it works till i have enough time to make some pods for a PLX gauge set i have. https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/ Dont go buy the Price, can be found under $100 almost everywhere.

As for that lag issue, i suggest a hotside intake resonator delete. It helps with alot of lag in sport mode, and though it helps in normal, it doesn't seem to be as significant. You can make your own if you like, or purchase one pre-made from shops like sxth element. https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm
Again...thanks for the info. That product unfortunately doesn't display boost/vac, oil pressure or air to fuel. Which are really the only 3 I'm looking for. Also I have been waiting for that resonator delete pipe to become available again..it's been out of stock for over a month. If anyone has any info where I can purchase another one I would appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to make one myself.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Again...thanks for the info. That product unfortunately doesn't display boost/vac, oil pressure or air to fuel. Which are really the only 3 I'm looking for. Also I have been waiting for that resonator delete pipe to become available again..it's been out of stock for over a month. If anyone has any info where I can purchase another one I would appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to make one myself.
The scangauageII does have boost/vac, just not AFR, and OILPressure. I suggest contacting Sxthelement for the pipe, they have been sending some out without it showing available on their site.

email [email protected]
or call 864-402-4091

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Do you have a Scangauge?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Going back to your original question about the intake, there "might" be a slight gain changing the intake pipe to something with smoother transitions. I say that, because I found my pictures of the intake from earlier this year, and where the PCV line connects, its the same area there the rubber hose has to go from 4.5" to 2" in a sharp 90ish degree turn. I suppose smoothing out that transition would not gain a single horsepower, but have help with the efficiency of the system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want to hear the stock BOV get some 1in rubber chair leg ends and pull the recirc hose off of the intake and put the rubber cap on the intake barb. I got mine from HomeDepot. Can be undone for warranty reasons in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
That will give you ZERO engine and drivetrain warranty. Are you ready to give that up when 14% to 16% of all Hyundai motors go bad withing the 100,000 drivetrain warranty?

Hence why you very carefully and tactically use the mistakes of others, I believe this is the definition of a genius. In terms of both bov to be or not to be, the 1.6yt is the question. Put a short ram intake from aem (may need slight adjustment and cap of one input port tube to operate properly) that fits the 1.6 on 16-18 tucsons. Wont void warranty and it sound just fine in sport mode blowing off pressure. It will also improve performance without warranty concerns and zero increase from a bov. My cousin told me he uses a footprintless tune, combined with the short ram intake and improved far more than the bov that is for show, nothing more, possibly the same as the diverter valve that comes stock on the 1.6. The money on the two will give you far more and about the same price and no loss of warranty in the event you have a engine w/in the probability stated for failure. BOV's turn heads at most, so you can take it or leave it, but I absolutely agree with Mainia1, who provided you with good advice (according to my cousin), keep your warranty and get what you want by following my cousin Vinny's testimony. Stage 2 Performance tune, at most for stock, plug/unplug to OBDII. Stage 1 was stated as plenty as stage 2 requires going against Mania1's recommendation, so again, you keep your warranty.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There is no such a thing as a footprintless tune. Any tune done to a ECU can be read by Hyundai engineering and by a regular dealer through simple looking at flash counts. A piggyback box tune like DTE or Race Chip can be seen by Hyundai engineering and almost never by a regular Hyundai dealer, unless certain warning codes are held in the memory of the ECU. Audi and VW sends data files to a corporate server that their common scan tool sniffs out a "tune" as some form of malware and gets called out. It sniffs certain area's in the ECU for alteration. This can't be altered even by an Audi/VW tech, even if they wanted to, as example if their Audi or VW was their personal car.

If there is a drivability issue and your dealer sends the cars data file to Hyundai engineering, they will see the piggyback tuning box in specific altered telemetry data, where a common dealer can not.

Also adding or altering intakes "can" and in some cases do get sniffed out by late model Hyundai's ECU's and will throw a semi-crippling "torque reduction" back at you. A true ECU tune negates these torque reductions and allows HP gains of custom speed parts.

As for an exit to atmosphere BOV, I myself don't want to here PSSSSSSSS! every shift on a daily drive at my age.

I ran into this with trying to install a Veloster R-spec airbox, and it killed HP and made my car slower. I do not like K&N cotton filters, along with the 30 other brands of the same high flow variety in any form for a daily driver. They let too much micro dirt into the engine.

Also, some diver valves do help performance if they have an adjustable spring. Increasing spring pressure will reduce the open time of the DV and leave some boost pressure in the intercooler for faster recovery of intercooler and pipe pressure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts