Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
They did nothing because they couldn't get it to happen for them and it would never store the code in the computer they had several people drive it in many different areas and could never duplicate the problem so they weren't able to do anything my wife fixed it last night and went and bought a new car she was scared to drive it
Good for her; bad for us. I thought it would be helpful to have someone else out there with the same problem! Is there a reason you don't want to mention the dealer or the service department where you took it? I may be facing a situation where corroborating documentation may be needed to be be able to log it as a manufacturing defect. I'm sure other Kona owners have seen this before but it's not being passed up the line. I'm still hoping someone else will check into this forum with the same problem. Did your wife trade the car in? It would be nice to have the VIN#.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what I posted in the Engine & technical section of this forum

Hi I have a 2020 Kona AWD 6-speed automatic transmission. Millage ~5000mi.

The 1st time this happened I was driving on the interstate when I saw a warning on my dash from the Forward Collision Warning system & the Blind spot warning at the same time. I looked all around & there was not a car in sight & a second later I felt the car jolt like I had hit something. Since there was no one around I thought it must have been a rock (felt like a large rock). I pulled over, shut off the engine, got out, checked all the tires & looked for any sign of a collision, & found nothing. I got back on the road & all was well, so I chalked it up as a weird mystery. It's happened 3 more times with the same sequence of events. First time was 10/16/20 the last 2Xs on 11/13. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer & of course they can't replicate the problem. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sequence of events:
1)"Forward Collision Avoidance FCA Warning" & "Blind Spot Detection" warning to check blind spot,
2) Then a jarring jolt in the front end
3) Then high whine coming from engine that sounds like too high rpms for the gear you are in.

It's happened 3X at 70mph on the highway & 1X at 40mph. I happened 2X today 11/12.

Thanks!!
Hello All, my service people are going to order an "inhibitor switch" to address this problem. Does anyone know what this is & how it might help the problem above? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hyundai replaced my collision warning sensors, as they (finally) found the fault!
Mine was to do with the sensor itself being faulty, and was told it does not appear on the computer as an error.

Long story short I took my car back 3x, and was constantly told there were no issues found. I provided multiple different videos of the issue, on all different roads and times of day. One servicer told me it could happen due to the rain/dirt..It hadn’t been driven in the rain & was extremely clean.
Basically I was forced to go full Karen on them, and advised them that if the issue wasn’t sorted I’d be contacting Hyundai Australia and will be requesting a full refund for the faulty product they sold me. Hyundai then kept my car for a week to complete ‘tests’, I rang on Friday to ask what time I could pick up my fixed car and was told they hadn’t fixed anything, so I asked how the refund process works.. That afternoon they phoned and advised one of their mechanics finally saw the collision warning issue whist driving the car (Used a full tank of fuel & gave me the car back on empty) and they replaced the whole sensor. I haven’t had any issues since!

·
Registered
17 Posts
we were talking about the side warning, if it does not work in traffic, i think as kaz said get a sensor replace.
The front collision is a different matter, mine only went once in highway traffic, and i hit brake late so i know it it works. anyhow i never bought the car for that, only the side scan concerns us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hyundai replaced my collision warning sensors, as they (finally) found the fault!
Mine was to do with the sensor itself being faulty, and was told it does not appear on the computer as an error.

Long story short I took my car back 3x, and was constantly told there were no issues found. I provided multiple different videos of the issue, on all different roads and times of day. One servicer told me it could happen due to the rain/dirt..It hadn’t been driven in the rain & was extremely clean.
Basically I was forced to go full Karen on them, and advised them that if the issue wasn’t sorted I’d be contacting Hyundai Australia and will be requesting a full refund for the faulty product they sold me. Hyundai then kept my car for a week to complete ‘tests’, I rang on Friday to ask what time I could pick up my fixed car and was told they hadn’t fixed anything, so I asked how the refund process works.. That afternoon they phoned and advised one of their mechanics finally saw the collision warning issue whist driving the car (Used a full tank of fuel & gave me the car back on empty) and they replaced the whole sensor. I haven’t had any issues since!
sorry it took so long Kaz. anyhow you provided good intel here, WTG!

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry it took so long Kaz. anyhow you provided good intel here, WTG!
This is the new reality in automotive, old days of adjusting carb. bad suspensions, oil leaks, defective brakes, and a wandering dwell point over. we still have ground electrical issues, and the new Computer software/ sensor stuff takes the stage. EFI not new, so, i suggest if your unhappy with your dealer under warranty, call Fountain valley Calif. 1-800-633-5151, that's customer care, closest i can find to the old regionals in USA., i used GM regional back in 2002 (tappets noise), got a new engine..lol. 2001 buick century, it was my mother in laws new car.!!!
i got 6600 mi. on my 2019 kona, KNOCK ON WOOD, np's. paint sucks , my first glaze buff coming this summer. i' m using mobil 1, get cabin air cleaners at "rock auto", ( 1 a year) and once a year injector cleaner, and looking forward to real good tires. original kinergys suck. all in all the rigidity of the suspension reminds me of a BMW 3 1996, and the lightness of the suspension components amazes me to get that!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello All, my service people are going to order an "inhibitor switch" to address this problem. Does anyone know what this is & how it might help the problem above? Thanks!
i think you got a short or ground fault somewhere in system or faulty sensors. gremlins rarely show up on diagnostics, it's a matter of replacing modules/ sensors to find defective one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
BS, they gonna get you new sensor, if they smart, they gaslighting you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no such thing as inhibitor switch in cars. ask them are they gonna " Change the muffler oil". throw it back in their face. they playing you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh my gosh! If anything seriously comes of this let me know I try and try to get it on camera and never can... and of course no one will be in the car with me when it happens so they can witness it too!!!!!
After lots of persistence, Hyundai finally replaced my sensor! I posted my response below :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got a 2019 Kona SEL. With about 25,000miles (purchased 2018) everything was great until I started hitting about 20k.
basically I drive 45 minutes to work all highway and a little city so there is always cars around, and I’ll be driving and an alert will pop up on my screen saying that the blind spot warning has failed. And turned off. At my last car service I asked them to look over the system to see if they found any flaws, which they didn’t. the technician made me aware that if you drive for a longer period of time 10 minutes like night driving without cars it will turn off and I was like okay well what about in the middle of rush hour cause it does! He said he would let Hyundai know about the issue to see if there is others like it. However besides it turning off in traffic, I could be driving along day or night when I know no one happens to be around at the time and go to change lanes and it will beep like there is a car in my blind spot.... anyone else having issues?
I just purchased a 2019 Kona “Certified Preowned”less than 48 hours ago for my daughter and now currently sitting in the waiting room of the Hyundai dealership service center where I purchased the car with the same problem. Hopefully Hyundai is aware of this issue and there is a correction. I’ve never had this problem with the similar system in either of my Toyota SUVs (Highlander Hybrid and RAV4 Hybrid).

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2020 Kona has run perfectly since they replaced the Inhibitor Switch 3 mo. ago.
Also there is another discussion on this subject that I started before finding this one because I thought it was a transmission problem (Help with 2020 Kona Transmission problem). This was my final reply there about 3 weeks ago:
"I'm 3 weeks out from having the inhibitor switch replaced & so far no problems. Based on other's success with this solution I am optimistic that it is the answer. You should take it for service & bring a printout of this discussion. I think your regional service rep will back you up. They are now (perhaps have been for a while) of the problem."

& contrary to what Pete said regarding the existence of an "Inhibitor switch" that fixed the problem & as I said above I've had no problems since. And I love my Kona but I do not like the support I got from Service or Cooperate at the time as I basically got it fixed by joining this Forum & being persistent.. But I think they've had enough complaints about this that they should know how to fix it as soon as the symptoms are described as they follow the same progression as describe above & in the other thread I mentioned (& I think it really should be a recall issue).
Hope this helps.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts