Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2019 Kona SEL. With about 25,000miles (purchased 2018) everything was great until I started hitting about 20k.
basically I drive 45 minutes to work all highway and a little city so there is always cars around, and I’ll be driving and an alert will pop up on my screen saying that the blind spot warning has failed. And turned off. At my last car service I asked them to look over the system to see if they found any flaws, which they didn’t. the technician made me aware that if you drive for a longer period of time 10 minutes like night driving without cars it will turn off and I was like okay well what about in the middle of rush hour cause it does! He said he would let Hyundai know about the issue to see if there is others like it. However besides it turning off in traffic, I could be driving along day or night when I know no one happens to be around at the time and go to change lanes and it will beep like there is a car in my blind spot.... anyone else having issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I am in South Africa, and have a Kona 1.0 Manual, 2019 model (purchased Feb 2019). My personal experience, i do not have an issue where my Blind Spot sensors switch off automatically when there is no cars/traffic on the road for any period of time...first time i have heard of this, not sure if it is maybe market/region specific. With regards to them letting Hyundai know, i would suggest that you would need to sit on the dealerships head querying for feedback and perhaps even requesting a reference number for your issue for tracking purposes. Here in SA, they have a dealer network portal where they post their issues that all dealerships in the country can see, including the technical department at the local head office to provide troubleshooting tips or solutions if they have come across this previously, i am sure it should be the same there.

I have also had experience with the phantom sensor warnings of cars in the next lane, though i am alone on the road. I reported this to Hyundai on my last service, and then basically changed the sensitivity of the sensor and re-calibrated the sensors for me as well. I have not noticed it happening as much as it used to before, i will need to monitor this further when i do get a chance - (we are currently in a national lock down here). I basically made mention to them of phantom sensing when there are no other cars on the road and that is all they could do for me currently, as mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
the technician made me aware that if you drive for a longer period of time 10 minutes like night driving without cars it will turn off and I was like okay well what about in the middle of rush hour cause it does!

it is a bunch of BS. Something is wrong with your BSM

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had same turn off issue when driving a 2 lane road in Northern wisconsin, tech said 15 min. it'll shut off, and sure enough, only then , when i restart car it comes back on, on highways with other cars, works fine. city streets fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's my story... I had this come on when I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC (coming down from Grandfather Mountain to Asheville). The only thing I could figure out was that there was a stone wall all the way along a section on that road.

The wall is mostly stone (some concrete for drainage) and varies from about 3 to 5 feet off the road surface. The walls vary in height as well. Two lane road with oncoming traffic that maybe the sensor on the other side would "pick up" ?? Not sure, but I did get the error.

I did like Pete exSF and just "rebooted." (There are sightseeing stops along this road every 3-5 miles.) The warning came on and I drove to the next planned parking spot. When I restarted the car, the error went away and I have never seen it since.

Maybe the brain on the computer is 'too smart' for low-population / rural areas? I drive on what I consider "back roads" here, but there hills, valleys, on-coming traffic, mail boxes, guard rails, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe since the system doesn't see changes in the radar signal return... that the control module brain would consider 'normal' changes in reflections, it just craps out.

Now...if it goes out when you are in traffic, well that's a serious problem. Hopefully you can get this resolved soon. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
However besides it turning off in traffic, I could be driving along day or night when I know no one happens to be around at the time and go to change lanes and it will beep like there is a car in my blind spot.... anyone else having issues?
I am having the same issues! I bought the car brand new a month ago, and my right blind spot indicator keeps indicating there is a car when there is nothing there.. I took my car back into Hyundai and they said they couldn't find anything. I've now filmed it on multiple occasions and they are going to have another look and review my videos next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my gosh! If anything seriously comes of this let me know I try and try to get it on camera and never can... and of course no one will be in the car with me when it happens so they can witness it too!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is something else to think about... there may be dirt/grime/crud under your bumper where (I think) the sensor actually resides. Take a look and may want to spray a hose under the car. It could have gotten mud or other debris under the car when going through a puddle or when raining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts