Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a major breakdown of my 2019 Kona thanks to 1 Bosch YR6NI332S plugs breaking. So far it looks like it just caused it to run horribly (couldn't maintain 80kph in 5th), and they will be replaced with NGK (OEM) ones instead. Lesson learned: Even if there are plenty of parts stores recommending a certain part, doesn't mean it is safe to do so, even if they SHOULD be safe.

Edit: Verified with dealer ship, just the one broke, all plugs replaced and 3rd cylinder (where the one broke) throwing codes now.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
Just had a major breakdown of my 2019 Kona thanks to 2 Bosch YR6NI332S plugs breaking. So far it looks like it just caused it to run horribly (couldn't maintain 80kph in 5th), and they will be replaced with NGK (OEM) ones instead. Lesson learned: Even if there are plenty of parts stores recommending a certain part, doesn't mean it is safe to do so, even if they SHOULD be safe.

if the plugs are breaking, that would suggest they were dropped before installation, ot torqued improperly, or have the wrong reach and the piston is hitting them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the plugs are breaking, that would suggest they were dropped before installation, ot torqued improperly, or have the wrong reach and the piston is hitting them.
I have yet to verify reach as the head is now being torn down, but considering I see a dozen+ websites using the exact P/N, I doubt that is the case. I will verify once it is completed, and I can compare the two.

As for installation, I followed the Service Manual to the letter, and have plenty of experience changing them out. Also under the guidance of someone with 50+ years of working on engines. This one seems like a manufacturing defect. I will try and perform a failure analysis on it, and update.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Unfortunately it broke in the cylinder, so it is most likely a bad plug, but I won't rule out an engine issue that caused the initial damage to the plug until I see full diagnostics. Really weird for it to run fine for 3500km then to give up at this time.

Update to follow on the potential damage the plug did to the cylinder or valvetrain.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
ALSO, ONLY buy plugs from a" known" manufacture's dealer. No Ebay or Amazon plug purchases. There are a lot of plug counterfits out there. The poster said he bought his at an auto parts store that use plug manufacture approved suppliers, and we can assume he bought from a large chain as that is what is mostly left. Switch out your plugs too, if you are hard on your turbo or have a tuned car. I switch mine out at 25,000 miles. That maybe a hair early, but I am on boost more then most.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALSO, ONLY buy plugs from a" known" manufacture's dealer. No Ebay or Amazon plug purchases. There are a lot of plug counterfits out there. The poster said he bought his at an auto parts store that use plug manufacture approved suppliers, and we can assume he bought from a large chain as that is what is mostly left. Switch out your plugs too, if you are hard on your turbo or have a tuned car. I switch mine out at 25,000 miles. That maybe a hair early, but I am on boost more then most.
Rock auto purchase, and verified P/N with many other websites. Looking like 1 defective plug so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts