Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would really appreciate knowing your experiences on the best place to sell my White, Kona EV, Ultimate, 2019. It only has 6190 miles on it and has been in storage until this past summer. I have never tried to sell a car online before, and would love to know some of the best options. Thanks so much!!! After some research, I am willing to take $37,800.00 for it. Great deal!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The easiest way to do it would be carvana or carmax. Carvana is great because you know exactly what they will offer you after you put in a few details about your car (condition, mileage, VIN) and they pick it up. Carmax, you drive to one and they inspect it then make an offer. You could always reach out to the dealer you bought it from as well.

For local sales either drop a listing on craigslist - even car dealers use craigslist.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A friend sold his mother's "new" Lincoln to carmax.
He didn't get what he wanted, but she had beat it up in a few hundred miles.

Here's a link to Autotrader with your competition, also a good place to sell.
You'll need to copy and paste.

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=76101&fuelTypeGroup=ELE&city=Fort Worth&incremental=all&modelCodeList=HYUKONA&makeCodeList=HYUND&driveGroup=FWD&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&location=%5Bobject Object%5D&state=TX&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&searchRadius=0&isNewSearch=false#565113698

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend sold his mother's "new" Lincoln to carmax.
He didn't get what he wanted, but she had beat it up in a few hundred miles.

Here's a link to Autotrader with your competition, also a good place to sell.
You'll need to copy and paste.

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=76101&fuelTypeGroup=ELE&city=Fort Worth&incremental=all&modelCodeList=HYUKONA&makeCodeList=HYUND&driveGroup=FWD&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&location=%5Bobject Object%5D&state=TX&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&searchRadius=0&isNewSearch=false#565113698
Thank you so much!!! I will take a look right away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much!!! I will take a look right away.
Just looked at autotrader link you sent me. Thanks. There were no Kona EV’s on that web site, but lots of Tesla’s. The Kona EV is still pretty hard to get both in the US and in Europe. I had to ship mine here to MN from Maryland.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry I thought I had the link fixed.
There are a few kone ev on autotrader, just a lot of filters to setup.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, what dealer did you buy your Kona from?

Used cars now a days get a high premium. So you have a car in high demand with a back log of delivery for new ones.

It is an awesome car. It came through a dealer in Maryland. They don’t sell them (officially) in MN. Hyundai only allows official sales in about 6 State, on the East and West coast. I am open to taking $37,800.00 for it. Not a scratch on it. 6,190 miles. A great deal!! About $11,000.00 less than a new one today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here the going rate on a Kona EV seems to be $3,000 under sticker (True car lists it as $1,830 under sticker). Less the $7,500 Federal Credit and NY State kicks in $2,000 (that you can use upfront). So without any deals Hyundai might be offering a NEW Ultimate should net around $11,300 to $12,500 under sticker in NY, plus tax. But there is tax on used cars here, too at the same rate. I was trying to find a depreciation factor for Hyundai's Kona Electric Leases. I could not find anything for one year or 6,000 miles. But looking at the current lease deals around here, they must project the car to depreciate a lot over 3 years.

In any event, if you sell if to Carvana or a dealer and they need to resell it, they don't do that for charity. They will want to make decent money for the risk, their cost of money, sales commission, etc. Your best option is selling direct to a consumer to net the most money for it, but you also have to deal with having to have people want to inspect it, test drives, negotiating, and whether or not they can get financing. Easy for a $3,000 car for a college student, a little trickier for a $35,000+ car.

The only reasons to buy used are that you can't find one new and/or you want to pay much less than new and are not worried about warranty loss. The 'lifetime' battery warranty that came with the 2019 does not pass to subsequent owners. Not sure about other warranties. Not sure where they are unavailable or in short supply, but there are 5 2020 Ultimates for sale, on dealer lots, in my area now.

There is a sucker born every minute, according to WC Fields, so maybe you'll get someone for $11,000 under what the sticker is for a 2020. But for the same money, or less, they could likely buy new? Not trying to talk anyone out of it, more playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Noting a couple of things: Range in Cold Weather drops: (Kona EV Winter Problems)
We have the Kona EV for 3 weeks now and found out that our Kona does not like the cold at all.
The first day when we bought it at Jim Pattinson in North Van it charted up to 458 km and impressed the **** out of me. We love driving it. The second day in Vancouver it charged to 426km. I thought if I get my 415km range I will be happy. We need 415 km so we can go back and forth from Vancouver to the Cariboo where we live. Now after 3 days we drove it in -25 C it did well charged to 412km. But then after the fourth day it stopped at 386km and it dropped every day more and charges now only to 340km after 3 weeks.
We have a Bosch wall charger installed by an electrician and we called him to make sure it is all perfectly good. Charger was doing good. Now the next issue was the range drop. Even so we had now only 340km range once we left our heated garage and turned the heat on the range dropped another 60 km. Now we only had 280 km range. I thought I give my sales men a call to inform him about the range drop. He just told us to go to a dealer. Well we live 3 hours away from the dealer and the range was not enough. I thought I go and take it on a drip to Williams Lake which is 120 km one way. I believed we could easy do it with a range of 340km range. I got stranded at -24C on the Highway and had to call a tow truck. I got towed home. So even so it showed enough range on the way home it dropped 27 km in two minutes at the end of our trip which is why I had to call a tow truck. We will now get it to a service centre I will keep you updated. So far I can say that the car is wonderful in every way but the Range. But with only 230km range to be expected in the winter I will have no use for the car and could have bought a cheaper one. So let's hope they can fix it at the service centre.
2. Recall on battery in S. Korea and some other place ( check on this)
3. I've just heard the Chinese are about to flood the market with cheap electric cars.
Seems to me that selling it now may make the best sense. Dealer, or CarMax, etc. It may be tough to get someone to finance $37k at this point in time (job uncertainty, advice to start hoarding your money as markets crash (Covid), short supplies of necessities, etc). Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here the going rate on a Kona EV seems to be $3,000 under sticker (True car lists it as $1,830 under sticker). Less the $7,500 Federal Credit and NY State kicks in $2,000 (that you can use upfront). So without any deals Hyundai might be offering a NEW Ultimate should net around $11,300 to $12,500 under sticker in NY, plus tax.

The only reasons to buy used are that you can't find one new and/or you want to pay much less than new and are not worried about warranty loss. The 'lifetime' battery warranty that came with the 2019 does not pass to subsequent owners. Not sure about other warranties. Not sure where they are unavailable or in short supply, but there are 5 2020 Ultimates for sale, on dealer lots, in my area now.
Just checked in SoCal, there are 68 new Kona Electric Ultimates for sale within 100 miles of Ventura. Most are $3000 to $5000 below MSRP. Not a good time to be selling a used one! Similar number of SEL and Limited. Total of 191 for sale at dealers - new cars!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts