Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as the title states, got our first flat on the Kona caused by a small diameter finishing nail. We have the platinum warranty coverage and tire replacement warranty, which is a good thing also. What I was taken back over is; the Goodyears have four grooves with five distinct treads and the puncture was in the outer groove before the fifth or outer tread. I pulled the nail, plugged the tire and filled it back up with air and took it to the them. They said, they could not patched the tire. I was quite surprised. Mind you, I'm not complaining about the replacement but I thought, what a waste of a good tire. According to the service rep; because of the location it was not patchable. However after speaking to the local Goodyear dealer, they could vulcanize patch it quite easily and legally. The tire has only 490+ miles.:plain: They didn't have a tire in stock for it so I was going to suggest, they remove a tire and wheel combination from a new unit and replace it with mine but thought it's will be in Tuesday so not worries.

I'm posting this as aheads up and caution, to anyone who has a similar issue and takes it to the dealer for repair. Yes, you have a tire warranty for the tires which are installed on the Kona but according to the dealer, the puncture has to be in the center three treads or center two grooves. If they insist the tire needs replacement and you have a similar puncture without the Platinum Warranty, I would suggest taking it directly to Goodyear for repair. Never-the-less, I see a waste in discarding a perfectly good tire that is patchable.:plain:

This is not a complaint about the service but a personal concern for those who are involved in a similar situation. Just be aware and don't be pushed into having to purchase a new prorated tire.
There is an alternative:smile:

·
Registered
244 Posts
For all the reasons I had mine warrantied through Discount Tire, no hassle of the dealer and for most part there are more DC tire locations vs Hyundai dealerships.So I am covered with replacements to rotations/balances and already have done a rotation/balance already.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for you. I'm curious as to how you acquired the warranty? Cost, term period etc., would you care to share additional information regarding the warranty. We have Discount Tires all around us. I've only used them once for rims and tires on an Acura Type-R and that's been years ago. Did you have them install different tires or transfer the Hyundai warranty for the OEM tires? Maybe this the wrong verbiage but I'm certainly
interested.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Go in tell them you want to add their tire certificates to your new Kona , the one here had to call Goodyear to get the right numbers for these tires since they are brand new on the market for Goodyear. After all that depending on state which is usually $20 per tire or less (mine were about 18) then you will have DC coverage which will cover all flats, rotations/balances and also if non repairable the cost of the new tire for that same brand for only that one tire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Something also I forgot is I am a current customer of DC Tire so not sure if that makes it easier to get the warranties since they were not purchased through them or if it matters to them or not.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 19's on the Ultimate are Goodyear also.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It looks like after 30 years plugs are becoming pass'e, now it's back to vulcanizing with a "dodad" in the hole. While the new way is the best way to do it , I will keep plugging my tires because I have had ZERO issues even when going into the radius of the tire.

As far as your tire JRKona as described it sounds very plugable, even by tire shop standards. The standard is it can't be in the radius of the tire and can only be on the flat part, sounds like it was on the flat part. They just chose not to do it for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
One thing I wish they did in design was to give more wheel well and strut clearance to go or have a higher sidewall tire. The Goodyears that come on these as far I can tell are well ok and well be in time replacing these with possibly the New Continentals or Yokohama Avids or Nokian's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
One thing I wish they did in design was to give more wheel well and strut clearance to go or have a higher sidewall tire. The Goodyears that come on these as far I can tell are well ok and well be in time replacing these with possibly the New Continentals or Yokohama Avids or Nokian's.

Increasing diameter would not be advised, it doesnt take much to alter your final drive ratio to the point of making a mid level fast car to a slow car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Increasing diameter would not be advised, it doesnt take much to alter your final drive ratio to the point of making a mid level fast car to a slow car.
I did that check to thinking of going to a 50 but it would change the speedo by almost 2 at 60 thus giving also less revolutions.

But like I stated will in a way burn these tires out to get to a better set sooner than later..

·
Registered
600 Posts
I did that check to thinking of going to a 50 but it would change the speedo by almost 2 at 60 thus giving also less revolutions.

But like I stated will in a way burn these tires out to get to a better set sooner than later..

Ok I see what you are talking about , I did that with my Honda Fit, it changed the mph by 1. Never mind. I thought you where going a lot bigger for some reason.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You mean 18's, right?
Yes I did my mistake, I was thinking about my Genesis G80.:smile:

You're right, I plugged it and held pressure at over 40 PSI. I was a little surprised Hyundai didn't even try to patch it. Even after Goodyear said it was patchable. I suppose it's a safety thing with Hyundai maybe. However, keep it in mind if you have a puncture in one of the outside grooves. Your Hyundai dealer may tell you they won't patch it as attempt to sell you a new tire. Goodyear unequivocally will patch the tire.

He also has an amp that goes to 11. :smile:
Sorry, I missed the humor.:grin:

·
Registered
600 Posts
IfI get a leak, I just patch my own, I did not buy the tire/rim warranty package for $450 (I assume could be talked down) from my dealer. Even when my Discount Tire tires get a nail I just plug them myself because of the time sitting and waiting and I know my plugs are the best you can buy, so I don't want to risk they don't have top tier plugs. Plus not to mention being in the tire business for 4 years, I want to take the time and attention to detail I will do since it is my car and tire. I just found out a year ago that Safety Seal has a down sized plug for small holes, so I bought a box of the smaller plugs.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:smile:It is negotiable and you can still get the package if you desire. Normally, you can purchase it from the finance officer for a limited amount of time. I'm not sure what the time limit is. they say not to attempt to patch a plug more than .25 inches or larger. I use a Safety Seal Kit also. There is no cement needed with Safety Seal like in other kits.:smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts