Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
49 Posts
Just left the dealership for this very reason. BCW failure flashed (for about the dozenth) time, but this time we were headed in the dealership's direction. We called ahead and said we're bringing it in NOW, with warning light ON. Pulled in, left car running so as to not reset system. Waited, and were told when their mech got in, the light and any codes were NOT there. Right...So I'm imagining this stuff you're saying? The vehicle (2019 Kona) has just over 20K on the clock. Am totally tired of the condescending small talk. Been working on cars my whole adult life. At 10K we had to have the Cat replaced. Now there's exhaust getting in to the interior. Again, if they don't see or smell the problem, it doesn't exist. I get the feeling that the ONLY time they're gonna find a problem is when the car's out of warranty and they can fleece me for $. So unimpressed. Not getting any satisfaction whatsoever.
Called another dealership for a second opinion. Was told that, yes, they were under the impression that if the system does not detect any traffic, it assumes that it is in a fault condition and signals a warning. This doesn't say, however, that the system will automatically reset if traffic is once again detected. (Why did the light mysteriously "go out" at the 1st dealership?) This, I fear is a safety issue unto itself. No one expects a Spanish inquisition, or a safety feature to default to "off" on its own. It only takes a split-second for an accident to happen. No one has time to stop, pullover and reset, just in case the system may be falsely reading. This needs to be fixed. Does any other automotive mfr's vehicles do this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Called another dealership for a second opinion. Was told that, yes, they were under the impression that if the system does not detect any traffic, it assumes that it is in a fault condition and signals a warning. This doesn't say, however, that the system will automatically reset if traffic is once again detected. (Why did the light mysteriously "go out" at the 1st dealership?) This, I fear is a safety issue unto itself. No one expects a Spanish inquisition, or a safety feature to default to "off" on its own. It only takes a split-second for an accident to happen. No one has time to stop, pullover and reset, just in case the system may be falsely reading. This needs to be fixed. Does any other automotive mfr's vehicles do this?
Am curently reading this: BLIND SPOT DETECTION (BSD) OR BLIND-SPOT COLLISION WARNING (BCW) – Hyundai | Hyundai (oemdtc.com)
May be of SOME use...

·
Registered
2020 Kona
2 Posts
Enjoying my first long trip in my new car yesterday, and I noticed the orange triangle with ! Exclamation mark on in the instrument panel. Went into the settings menu, and this message was displayed:

‘ Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) System disabled. Radar blocked. ‘

The switch light was also off, and would not turn on manually. After about 20 minutes the warning light turned off, the message disappeared, and the switch light was on again, as the BCW was operating normally again.

I was thinking it was just some weird anomaly, then it happened again after another hour of driving. It stayed on for even longer this time, but went back online eventually. There were no warning lights the rest of the day, but I noticed that the orange light in the driver’s side mirror glass illuminated even though there was nothing even remotly close to me. It wasn’t raining, no wind, clear conditions.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am taking it to the dealer today to have some paints swirls removed and will have them check this.
Yes. I own a 2020 Kona. I frequently get a notice that the BCW has been disabled because the Radar is blocked; as many as 5 time on my latest trip. Exactly as you have described the problem. Last night when the warning came on, I pulled over and shut the car off. When I restarted the car the BCW warning had reset and it was back online. The problem has to be a glitch in the computer or electronic chip, that runs the system. The last time I took it to the dealer, the service rep said he couldn't help me.

·
Registered
2020 Kona
2 Posts
I agree to some extent that when the road is quiet the BCW goes to sleep. However, last night I was in semi conjested traffic and the BCW alert came on indicating the radar was again blocked. I pulled off the road, shut the car off, and when I restarted the car the BCW had reset.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK all, here's the skinny. We have been monitoring the issue for a number of weeks since we last reported in. The BCW system ONLY winked out (Completely, RADAR blocked) when it was raining. Dunno why. Our rain's not THAT polluted.... (To the uninitiated, these BCW sensors are NOT the little "dots" in the bumper cap. Those are for backing distance detection only. The BCW boxes are inside the rear corners of the bumper cap) Anyway, we left home on a rainy day and were, again, visually assaulted with the BCW idiot light problem. 3X in fact, after each start/reset. I noted after the second time, that it was almost 10 mins to sec before the system failed. Timed it out and got a beautiful picture of the dashboard warning at the 3rd, 10 min mark. In dry conditions, we could NOT replicate this. So, as mentioned dealer #1 scoffed and dismissed this issue because they couldn't duplicate the failure OR check it. RULE: Get another opinion and a new dealer if you're not satisfied. 2nd dealership was more than pleased to have a look after I had told them all of this. They said they could check the unit's calibration and run a slew of diagnostics to make the unit "talk" to them. Long-story-short, the left side RADAR unit ($2000) was replaced this afternoon under warranty, when it was found to be finicky. Whole process, once part was ordered in, was about 1.5 hrs incl. calibration.
Hope this helps someone else out

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree to some extent that when the road is quiet the BCW goes to sleep. However, last night I was in semi conjested traffic and the BCW alert came on indicating the radar was again blocked. I pulled off the road, shut the car off, and when I restarted the car the BCW had reset.
I don't think "goes to sleep" is an accurate term. The system should be continuously monitoring. Twice now in the last month we were passed on the left side whilst in the process of slowing for a LEFT turn (and yes, signal was on...) Thankfully, both times were on sunny dry days and the system worked as it should. All we lost were a few breaths and a few expletives toward the idiots in their trucks. We live in a relatively rural area and the system would've had plenty of time to go to sleep, if that were the case, WHY should/would you be expected to "reset" this system. We quite often go from rural to city scenarios and shouldn't have to stop anywhere en route to reset a safety feature.
See below for the solution we got below!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think "goes to sleep" is an accurate term. The system should be continuously monitoring. Twice now in the last month we were passed on the left side whilst in the process of slowing for a LEFT turn (and yes, signal was on...) Thankfully, both times were on sunny dry days and the system worked as it should. All we lost were a few breaths and a few expletives toward the idiots in their trucks. We live in a relatively rural area and the system would've had plenty of time to go to sleep, if that were the case, WHY should/would you be expected to "reset" this system. We quite often go from rural to city scenarios and shouldn't have to stop anywhere en route to reset a safety feature.
See below for the solution we got below!
Umm...OK, solution's above...Up there like...:rolleyes: We need a face-palm emoji...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Enjoying my first long trip in my new car yesterday, and I noticed the orange triangle with ! Exclamation mark on in the instrument panel. Went into the settings menu, and this message was displayed:

‘ Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) System disabled. Radar blocked. ‘

The switch light was also off, and would not turn on manually. After about 20 minutes the warning light turned off, the message disappeared, and the switch light was on again, as the BCW was operating normally again.

I was thinking it was just some weird anomaly, then it happened again after another hour of driving. It stayed on for even longer this time, but went back online eventually. There were no warning lights the rest of the day, but I noticed that the orange light in the driver’s side mirror glass illuminated even though there was nothing even remotly close to me. It wasn’t raining, no wind, clear conditions.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am taking it to the dealer today to have some paints swirls removed and will have them check this.
If you look on Page 5-52 in your manual, it shows that if no vehicles are detected for quite a while, then it turns off til you restart the vehicle. Doesnt make sense. You can drive on a quiet road then head onto a main highway and it isnt working...

·
Registered
49 Posts
After having the L.S. Radar box replaced, we experienced a "BCW System Disabled. Radar Blocked!" EXACTLY 10 minutes, any and every time the car was started and moved afterward again (still, yet?). That is the time required for the car to adequately "read", and have all sensors "check in". The dealership initially checked the calibration of the unit(s) and determined the left side (main unit) was the culprit at first. We have just (NOW) returned from the dealership after having the Right side Radar unit replaced. We're in the process of "burning in" this next unit. Fingers are crossed. Don't get me wrong. THIS dealership has been more than amenable working with us to figure this out. I told'em, "Hey, this is a learning adventure for all of us".
As to the idea of the units going to "sleep", no other car mfr'r that I have talked to, has ever heard of such nonsense. Yes, it can go into a passive mode, but like I said, does your smoke detector in your house turn off just because it doesn't detect smoke? Have you ever had to reset IT?
Oh, hang on, turning off the dirt road to pavement now...Better pull over and restart the car...WTF? What is this...a car that Jeff Foxworthy shouldn't drive? Dang it...! I MAY hafta register as a r3dn3ck...
YEEEEhaw!! :LOL:

Will report back with any progress updates ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
After having the L.S. Radar box replaced, we experienced a "BCW System Disabled. Radar Blocked!" EXACTLY 10 minutes, any and every time the car was started and moved afterward again (still, yet?). That is the time required for the car to adequately "read", and have all sensors "check in". The dealership initially checked the calibration of the unit(s) and determined the left side (main unit) was the culprit at first. We have just (NOW) returned from the dealership after having the Right side Radar unit replaced. We're in the process of "burning in" this next unit. Fingers are crossed. Don't get me wrong. THIS dealership has been more than amenable working with us to figure this out. I told'em, "Hey, this is a learning adventure for all of us".
As to the idea of the units going to "sleep", no other car mfr'r that I have talked to, has ever heard of such nonsense. Yes, it can go into a passive mode, but like I said, does your smoke detector in your house turn off just because it doesn't detect smoke? Have you ever had to reset IT?
Oh, hang on, turning off the dirt road to pavement now...Better pull over and restart the car...WTF? What is this...a car that Jeff Foxworthy shouldn't drive? Dang it...! I MAY hafta register as a r3dn3ck...
YEEEEhaw!! :LOL:

Will report back with any progress updates ...
Great response. Cant wait to hear if this latest fix worked~
Please keep us updated..

Thanks

Wendy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great response. Cant wait to hear if this latest fix worked~
Please keep us updated..

Thanks

Wendy
Right...K. Well it's been 7 days since we had the 2nd Radar box (R.S) replaced in the Kona. At this time, we have had no more errant shut-down messages. We headed out of town again today for .5 hour drive to and from grocery getting and were pleasantly NOT greeted with that aggravating "PING" and BCW blocked msg. Watched the clock to ensure we had passed the requisite 10 minute mark the last coupla trips. I think (hope?) (pray?) that we may now be able to call this item cured! :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Right...K. Well it's been 7 days since we had the 2nd Radar box (R.S) replaced in the Kona. At this time, we have had no more errant shut-down messages. We headed out of town again today for .5 hour drive to and from grocery getting and were pleasantly NOT greeted with that aggravating "PING" and BCW blocked msg. Watched the clock to ensure we had passed the requisite 10 minute mark the last coupla trips. I think (hope?) (pray?) that we may now be able to call this item cured! :cool:
An update to this thread. So far, since having BOTH of the Radar boxes in the back corners replaced, everything is once again, working and remaining in perfunctory condition. NO MORE WARNING MESSAGES from that system.
I would strongly recommend that folks have a diagnostic check be run on their systems, should this arise on their vehicles. Secondly, we KNOW that this does NOT throw a hard, readable code for the dealership to see, but if you can get the vehicle to the shop whilst BCW is disabled, you can plainly see that the BCW IS disabled in the dashboard heads up notifications under "Driver Assistance" menu. The BCW will be greyed-out and should show the same message you see when it first goes "out". This should be enough to indicate to ANY dealership, yah, there's a problem here. (provided you haven't covered the vehicle in an inch of mud or snow whist off-roading...)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, it's now the 22nd of November and I'm pleased to report that there hasn't been one negatory peep from the system! The system sees blind spots on both sides at the rear of the vehicle and displays them in its intended fashion! (y)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts