Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying my first long trip in my new car yesterday, and I noticed the orange triangle with ! Exclamation mark on in the instrument panel. Went into the settings menu, and this message was displayed:

‘ Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) System disabled. Radar blocked. ‘

The switch light was also off, and would not turn on manually. After about 20 minutes the warning light turned off, the message disappeared, and the switch light was on again, as the BCW was operating normally again.

I was thinking it was just some weird anomaly, then it happened again after another hour of driving. It stayed on for even longer this time, but went back online eventually. There were no warning lights the rest of the day, but I noticed that the orange light in the driver’s side mirror glass illuminated even though there was nothing even remotly close to me. It wasn’t raining, no wind, clear conditions.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am taking it to the dealer today to have some paints swirls removed and will have them check this.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No, however the BCW sensors are located in the rear bumper. It is possible you turned off the parking sensors?

Did you pass any Canadian Police running speed checks during the trip? Laser Radar/LIDAR/LADAR guns can do strange things to these sensors. Keeping this in mind, some communication towers along with certain Microwave transmission can interfere with these type of sensors on occasion, depending upon proximity. Which also includes;

Military Installations
Hospitals
Telephone / Cable antenna farms
Amateur Radios with high wattage output linear's
Satellite Uplinks
Weather Radars
Aircraft / Marine Vessels
Power Plants / Transmission

Lastly, radar detectors and Laser, LIDAR Jammers can also. Lastly, the sensors could have gotten dirty as well.

Anomaly, is a good description and there are a number of reasons which might have caused it. Just keep an eye on it and your surroundings at the time as well if it happens again. When al else fail pull over, Turn the Kona off and restart, then check the settings. Naturally if it occurs regularly, I would take it in and have it diagnosed by the dealer.

Blessings and Peace.

Reactions: tobidog123

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, however the BCW sensors are located in the rear bumper. It is possible you turned off the parking sensors?

Did you pass any Canadian Police running speed checks during the trip? Laser Radar/LIDAR/LADAR guns can do strange things to these sensors. Keeping this in mind, some communication towers along with certain Microwave transmission can interfere with these type of sensors on occasion, depending upon proximity. Which also includes;

Military Installations
Hospitals
Telephone / Cable antenna farms
Amateur Radios with high wattage output linear's
Satellite Uplinks
Weather Radars
Aircraft / Marine Vessels
Power Plants / Transmission

Lastly, radar detectors and Laser, LIDAR Jammers can also. Lastly, the sensors could have gotten dirty as well.

Anomaly, is a good description and there are a number of reasons which might have caused it. Just keep an eye on it and your surroundings at the time as well if it happens again. When al else fail pull over, Turn the Kona off and restart, then check the settings. Naturally if it occurs regularly, I would take it in and have it diagnosed by the dealer.

Blessings and Peace.
I asked at the dealership today, and they told me that others have experienced the same phenonenom but on different models. None reported on the Konas yet, as they have only sold a handful of them thus far.

Service advisor told me (with a straight face) that it is a ‘safety measure’ which disables the system automatically when it fails to detect anything within a close proximity of the car. By doing so, she claimed it teaches drivers to be less reliant on the technology, and thus safer drivers. Lol.

Not sure if we are talking about the same sensors? I thought the BCW sensors would be located in the side mirrors?? These are the ones that warn you when a vehicle is beside you. This is the one that was shutting itself off.

I had not thought about exterior sources such as radar detectors, jammers, cell towers, etc. , but it seems a plausible possibility. It’s just interesting that I had a Santa Fe Sport Ultimate with all the bells and whistles (360 cameras, BCW, Adaptive CC, Collision Avoidance, etc) and never had a system turn itself off before. At least the dealership said they would address it if it continues to happen.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I understand what the service advisor said. However why put BCW system on the vehicle at all, if it intermittently shuts itself off. If so, it would be a pre-timed interruption and you'd know about it every-time it did. I think not!:wink::grin:

I did some research once before with regards to bluetooth interference and it also talked about LIDAR and automobile sensors. So it could be number of things who really knows. When all else fails, reboot!

The video demonstrates where the BCW sensors are located.

Blessing and Peace

Reactions: WestCanMan

·
Registered
244 Posts
So I was victim of this problem on wed driving back from Portland, all of sudden error code pops up and orange triangle appears saying BCW has turned off. Orange triangle stayed illuminated for about 15 min or so and then back on.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Clean the sensors on the bumper. It's generally caused from road film or dirt. Just some of the issues with electronic sensors just like when the FCA shuts down from to much dirty rain or road debris. pnwkona, you can always turn them off and the on again, did you try this?

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Another option is to do a system reboot, pull the battery cable for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sensors are clean as I just day before underneath the rear checking things and cleaning, trying to turn the BCW back on, it will not allow you to do this while in the error code shut down through the button.
Rebooting on the road while driving and pulling over to this is to time consuming and unsafe especially at night. Luckily it came back on but I feel it this continues and enough report it Hyundai might do the right thing and fix it.
Post in the Elantra forum seems they have the same issue but no real fix or conclusion by the dealer so it seems to be a non-concern and no idea fix.

So we will see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got mine two weeks ago and yesterday during my first long drive BCW sensors went off at some point during the trip. Soon after that I pulled over to check for dirt but nothing. When I started the car they were back on. A few minutes later the same. This time at the next traffic light I just turned off the engine and started again immediately and sensors were back on. Obviously this has nothing to do with dirt.

A week after I bought the car looked to get a trailer hitch however as I was checking the car I realized that on left rear(passenger side) there is a plastic cover that prevents the hitch from being installed. I asked the dealer about the plastic cover and after they looked at the car they concluded that it must be a heat shield for the BCW sensors. The exhaust pipe is fairly close and that why the cover is only on the left side however it seems that is a fairly crappy heat shield since it's just a plastic cover. I was going to take to the dealer however it sounds like I'm not going to get any resolution besides wasting time so as a first step I'll get a heat shield/wrap for the exhaust pipe and go from there ...

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Make sure the box on the outside is clean and free from any mud or road film. There's a similar box up front for sensors and if it get cover with road film or debris it will malfunction also.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
So now for the 3rd time over 5 months several thousands of miles the BCW has gone into shut off all in good weather , and one stated reason are blocked/ mud/snow /grime on sensor but they are all clean , other reason is it noted on the manual for them to shut off if no car has been detected for a period of time, but in my case I pass cars all the time on way to work and in town. So I believe in previous post 1st time was 8960 then 11246 and today 11442 this time did not turn back on at the predicted time of 15 min but also I arrived at work so unsure how long it would have been. But again I always look over my shoulder and check for cars but seems to be happening more often and concern is this might lead to more serious issue with ECU or other systems and needs to filed with NHTSA so they have tracking as this should not be a passive issue as well it happens as others have stated on their KONA or Stinger. Reason cars are rated higher stars is their safety equipment and NHTSA needs to know..
Just my concerns.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Has the dealer run a diagnostic on the problem? There ought to be fault codes thrown in the ECU if it's a problem.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Kona with 2400 miles on it. Just took it in for its first oil change (at the dealer) and since then, I have been getting the "Check Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW) system" alert every time I start the car. It usually pops up after driving about 5 minutes or so and the BCW is completely disabled. Problem just started, and it worked completely fine the first 4 months I had the car. I guess I'll have to carry it to the dealer (but who really has time to be without a car??)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine would turn off on my drive to work and the dealer said it was to promote better driving. ( yeah ok )

After taking having work done on the air in the brakes the BCW has only been back on once even though ive cleaned the sensor and the camera. They think it will correct itself but also recommend waiting until spring as the system can cause the brakes to lock in icey conditions. Ill take it in soon

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Seems to be a cold weather and wet weather issue, from what I'm able to establish so far. It gets cold here but we don't have continuously cold temps and not allot of rain either.

I don't understand why they told you this. The as BCW won't effect the braking and doesn't interact with them. In the Ultimate the LKA and BCW will interact and help you steer back into your own lane but not brake. The only Safety feature that will autonomously brake for you is the FCA.

Honestly, think they're feeding you a bunch of horse pucky IMHO

https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/suvs/kona/safety/blind-spot
https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/suv/kona/safety
https://m.hyundaiusa.com/kona/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the intermittent BCW failure, too. ? It resets with every restart, and I think it reset by itself once, too. (We've had the Kona since mid-September.)

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Check the connector on the unit. It's on the drivers side rear under the bumper.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2019 santa fe and the sign came on months ago with the orange triangle. I took it to the dealer last week and they said there is a light bulb in the sideview mirror (forgot the side) that burned out basically which is causing it. They are trying to find the part because when the local hyundai tried to order the part, they only had the whole mirror which costs about $900 (what they told me) so since i have my car back, they have not called me with an update, they are trying to find the bulb to replace that is causing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts