Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just hit 25k and its time to replace the factory tires (235 45 18) and i noticed the rears are more worn (evenly) than the front, normal ?

never hit, drives perfectly straight

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
just hit 25k and its time to replace the factory tires (235 45 18) and i noticed the rears are more worn (evenly) than the front, normal ?

never hit, drives perfectly straight
That is normal. You have close to zero camber on the front and when you turn you change camber, because of your caster settings and you have sidewall roll over, body roll, and understeer scrubbing of the front tires that affects the front tires a lot more you don't see in the stationary pointing rear tires.

It is critical you rotate your tire on a AWD as the spec from Hyundai is a 2mm difference in diameter front to rear. Divide by two for tread depth. That means a tread depth of 1mm difference. Other wise you stress out the AWD system. Get a depth gauge and keep track your self.

[https://www.amazon.com/GODESON-88702-Smart-Color-Coded/dp/B0793HMWP1?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 235 45 18 has a diameter of 26.327" or 668.7058mm .. using +-1, diameter is a circumference 2,097 vs 2,103, or 6mm difference or 0.3%
seems like you'd get more that that with deflection (rear tire diameter decrease) with 2 fat people in the back seats with luggage

i couldn't find any tech details on the AWD system.. older systems had over run clutches and different fwd/rear gear ratio.. this is probably a little more sophisticated with some type of computer controlled viscus clutch

That is normal. You have close to zero camber on the front and when you turn you change camber, because of your caster settings and you have sidewall roll over, body roll, and understeer scrubbing of the front tires that affects the front tires a lot more you don't see in the stationary pointing rear tires.

It is critical you rotate your tire on a AWD as the spec from Hyundai is a 2mm difference in diameter front to rear. Divide by two for tread depth. That means a tread depth of 1mm difference. Other wise you stress out the AWD system. Get a depth gauge and keep track your self.

[https://www.amazon.com/GODESON-88702-Smart-Color-Coded/dp/B0793HMWP1?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
the 235 45 18 has a diameter of 26.327" or 668.7058mm .. using +-1, diameter is a circumference 2,097 vs 2,103, or 6mm difference or 0.3%
seems like you'd get more that that with deflection (rear tire diameter decrease) with 2 fat people in the back seats with luggage

i couldn't find any tech details on the AWD system.. older systems had over run clutches and different fwd/rear gear ratio.. this is probably a little more sophisticated with some type of computer controlled viscus clutch
I was told this by a certified Hyundai mechanic. Those are the specs he told me, I too find it a bit small of a deviation. I have been out farther then that, but after hearing that I am watching mine closer as my AWD gets thrashed with higher hp and sport driving I do.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I was told this by a certified Hyundai mechanic. Those are the specs he told me, I too find it a bit small of a deviation. I have been out farther then that, but after hearing that I am watching mine closer as my AWD gets thrashed with higher hp and sport driving I do.
Looks like Subaru people are talking no more then 2/32nds difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad to see this posted here, as I am going through a problem right now regarding tire sizing differences. I made the mistake of allowing the Les Schwab near my house to install the compact spare tire that came in my 2018 Kona AWD.
I had a VERY slow non repairable leak on my left front tire, and they refused to let me drive it home the seven miles to my house! The long story short is that it probably fried my drive train. (smell of hot oil when almost to the driveway) I'm hoping some of the other folks who experienced this will chime in and verify exactly what was damaged? (transfer case? Front diff., etc?) The Roadside assistance towed it on a flatbed truck from my house to the closest dealer and they didn't really do anything but look for leaks and test drive it, but I have a claim with Hyundai America to have it further investigated for damage.(But not until Sept. 9th!)
Now I have a used tire from the wrecking yard on the left front with almost new tread and the other 3 tires have 41,000 miles on them, so after reading about potential drive train damage I am afraid to drive on it like this.
I was thinking about trading in the Kona on a Santa Cruz, so I really didn't want to buy tires, but now thinking I may have to do it.
Thanks for any insights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts