Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to include compact crossover sales this month since a lot of people who are looking at the Kona are also looking at both subcompact and compact SUV/crossovers. The subcompact models will be in bold.

Toyota RAV 4 42222
Honda CRV 34610
Nissan Rogue 33400
Ford Escape 24395
Jeep Cherokee 21978
Jeep Compass 16339
Subaru Forester 15435
Mazda CX5 12970
Subaru Crosstrek 11900
Hyundai Tucson 11559
Honda HRV 9361
Jeep Renegade 8922
Kia Sportage 6538
Hyundai Kona 4772
Ford EcoSport 4769
Toyota CHR 3823
Mits Out Sport 2980
Kia Niro 2698
Mitsu Outlander 2164
Mazda CX3 1491

As usual there are no GM numbers for the Buick and Chevy entries, though they each have been averaging ~8500-9000 sales per month this year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it doesn't really sell very well even though the automotive press loves it. The other vehicle that is starting to do well is the Jeep Compass. There was a tendency on the part of the press to ignore the old Compass and Patriot because their individual sales numbers weren't all that high, but they forgot that since those two vehicles were built on the same assembly line interchangeably and were the same vehicle underneath different shells, from Jeep's perspective the combined sales were quite good. The new Compass is the only replacement and is picking up all those buyers and a few more despite middling reviews. Keep in mind that Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee are in the 15-20k/month zone as well and you can see why Jeep has been doing so well lately. Renegade is really the only one that is not a hit in the US.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Ditto!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't really sell very well even though the automotive press loves it. The other vehicle that is starting to do well is the Jeep Compass. There was a tendency on the part of the press to ignore the old Compass and Patriot because their individual sales numbers weren't all that high, but they forgot that since those two vehicles were built on the same assembly line interchangeably and were the same vehicle underneath different shells, from Jeep's perspective the combined sales were quite good. The new Compass is the only replacement and is picking up all those buyers and a few more despite middling reviews. Keep in mind that Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee are in the 15-20k/month zone as well and you can see why Jeep has been doing so well lately. Renegade is really the only one that is not a hit in the US.

I am not a American car buyer, but I saw a couple of Jeep compact SUVs lately and they caught my eye as far as looking very nice design wise. I can see why their #s are up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not a American car buyer, but I saw a couple of Jeep compact SUVs lately and they caught my eye as far as looking very nice design wise. I can see why their #s are up.

If you like Jeep then Toyota might also be on your radar once they come out with an FJ successor. Rumor has it there will be a FJ to rival the Wrangler and a smaller version to rival the Renegade. Once that happens, holding onto a Kona will be harder :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned a Jeep prior to the Kona. They aren't as terrible as people make them out to be in terms of quality, but they are also not where they should be. If you need/want certain capabilities then they make sense. Jeeps and Subarus are very popular where I live because both are good options when you live somewhere with a real winter (i.e. two feet of snow isn't uncommon.)

I'm just surprised a bit that the Compass is taking off as much as it is since the reviews of it are not great. Mostly because they are smaller then most cars in the compact SUV class in terms of interior room. Granted, Jeep has the Cherokee for people who want a bigger sized Jeep and the Renegade has its own negatives, but still. I guess they found a niche there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts