Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have had my 2019 Kona since February. Fun little car so far. However, today I took it to the dealer for the second time for the same problem.

On cold start (after at least 6 hours of sitting) I get the warning on the instrument cluster "battery discharge due to external electronic device". I have nothing plugged into the car and nothing is left on when parking the car. This is not to be confused with the warning on the infotainment screen saying to keep the engine running, not the same thing. I took it to the dealer in April, they replaced the battery and called it good.

Today, it happened again, and I am driving to Denver from El Paso (a good 10 hours away) next Friday, so I promptly took it to the dealer so they can try and fix it before I leave.

Any ideas. They told me they will not be able to even look at it until Monday or Tuesday. This is very frustrating seeing as it is a brand new car and already in less than 4 months I have had to take it back twice!

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
With everything powered off on the car, they should be checking for any electrical draw from the battery. If you have a short or draw it will show up on a meter reading..
They should check to see if the battery is correctly configured for the car.. I replaced a battery in my BMW with a non AGM battery as equipped OEM, Keep getting voltage warnings, etc.. found out I needed to update the ECM on the battery type.
Sometimes the dealer will keep the ECM powered up via the ACC socket so you don’t loose your radio and preference settings when changing a battery.. Sometimes resetting the ECM by completely removing the battery will reset these anomaly’s..

Try another dealer if they don’t find anything.. Good luck..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had told them to hook up a multi meter and check for amp draw last time. They told me no its the battery. I think I will be more insistent on this point this time around. Thanks for the tip. Wish I could find a different dealer but there is only one dealer where I am from. I will say this, I just want my Kona back in working order. I do love the car. I am renting a Corolla and I hate the **** thing. No power at all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem this morning. Totally dead battery that i had to get a boost/jump to get going. I've been getting the "discharge" flash on and off when I first got into the vehicle but didn't think much of it. Now i will!
I drove around a bit and battery seems to be holding up. I bought a battery booster pack as a backup for now. Seeing I'm in Halifax Nova Scotia and have to drive back to Maine tomorrow, a holiday, I'm a little sketched out by this!
Hyundai roadside was useless btw. They couldn't send anyone out until Tuesday (it's Sunday) but AAA (CAA in Halifax) was helpful!

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
917 Posts
make sure your trunk hatch is completely closed. people tend to have issues when it looks like its closed, and car says its closed, but the trunk light stays on and drains the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this happen last week. Saturday had the discharge warning, Sunday had the discharge warning. Monday actually had my phone out video recording so I could get the message on video and show my local dealer. As I went to unlock the door, I couldn't. Car was completely dead. I have a video of me just pulling on the door handle with nothing happening like an idiot.

Just to make sure it wasn't some weird software thing, I then went onto my phone and tried remote starting the car. It actually tried to remote start even with all the interior lights and everything dead. but never came close to actually turning the starter. Called Hyundai assistance, jumped it and brought it to the dealer for a full recharge.

I have the same theory as others on here, I think it's the rear hatch. Now, I've tried to shut the door as lightly as possible, but the display always says I have the rear hatch open. So I haven't been able to re create it. But, A day before this all happened, I did have a message that the hatch wasn't closed fully. I use the hatch a lot for school, I keep a ton of books in there and I had used it every day except that saturday and sunday. If the discharge message ever comes up again, instead of going through the hatch, I'm going to lower the rear seat and check to see if the trunk light is on. I'm 50/50 on that being the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
I have had my 2019 Kona since February. Fun little car so far. However, today I took it to the dealer for the second time for the same problem.

On cold start (after at least 6 hours of sitting) I get the warning on the instrument cluster "battery discharge due to external electronic device". I have nothing plugged into the car and nothing is left on when parking the car. This is not to be confused with the warning on the infotainment screen saying to keep the engine running, not the same thing. I took it to the dealer in April, they replaced the battery and called it good.

Today, it happened again, and I am driving to Denver from El Paso (a good 10 hours away) next Friday, so I promptly took it to the dealer so they can try and fix it before I leave.

Any ideas. They told me they will not be able to even look at it until Monday or Tuesday. This is very frustrating seeing as it is a brand new car and already in less than 4 months I have had to take it back twice!

Hello All,

Hello Emerworth101,
I am so sorry to hear your experience with the battery discharge. I am going through a similar issue and my car is at the dealership. They called and said everything is okay but am a little bit skeptical. Did you have any luck with your kona?

Thanks.
Liz.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
The rear hatch has 2 adjustable rubber stoppers that can be adjusted by rotating them. This fixed my problem of having to slam it or try twice.
Someone posted that useful tip on Here awhile back..

I had this happen last week. Saturday had the discharge warning, Sunday had the discharge warning. Monday actually had my phone out video recording so I could get the message on video and show my local dealer. As I went to unlock the door, I couldn't. Car was completely dead. I have a video of me just pulling on the door handle with nothing happening like an idiot.

Just to make sure it wasn't some weird software thing, I then went onto my phone and tried remote starting the car. It actually tried to remote start even with all the interior lights and everything dead. but never came close to actually turning the starter. Called Hyundai assistance, jumped it and brought it to the dealer for a full recharge.

I have the same theory as others on here, I think it's the rear hatch. Now, I've tried to shut the door as lightly as possible, but the display always says I have the rear hatch open. So I haven't been able to re create it. But, A day before this all happened, I did have a message that the hatch wasn't closed fully. I use the hatch a lot for school, I keep a ton of books in there and I had used it every day except that saturday and sunday. If the discharge message ever comes up again, instead of going through the hatch, I'm going to lower the rear seat and check to see if the trunk light is on. I'm 50/50 on that being the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Emerworth101,
I am so sorry to hear your experience with the battery discharge. I am going through a similar issue and my car is at the dealership. They called and said everything is okay but am a little bit skeptical. Did you have any luck with your kona?

Thanks.
Liz.
Absolutely check the rear hatchback. I started having problems when I used the hatchback alot during the holidays

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fully removed the rubber stoppers that adjust. All good since then.

Also, I went to the dealership and they verified the battery was having issues. They ordered me a new one. That was 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the replacement for this, apparently, very odd ball battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
I fully removed the rubber stoppers that adjust. All good since then.

Also, I went to the dealership and they verified the battery was having issues. They ordered me a new one. That was 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the replacement for this, apparently, very odd ball battery.
It's an AGM battery, not so odd. The dealer probably only can get the OEM supplied one, thats most likely the delay.
Those rubber stoppers add support to the hatch panel when its closed. You might want to adjust them tighter, they will also Loosen up a bit over time and close easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried tightening them up, but they were already screwed down all the way. I removed them 3 months ago with the thought of manually trimming some of the extra rubber but never got around to it. Then realized i hadn't had to get back out of the car to re-close the hatch in months and said forget it!
Here's hoping the new battery arrives soon. They're also pinning an intermittent problem with the forward collision alarm sensor erroring/going off on the battery. Seems unlikely, but anything is possible with these all computerized cars!

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
The other option if you are wondering if it is the rear hatch light is unplug the power to the light. Also flip the yellow shjpping delivery switch in the left dash area by the fuse panel to narrow down what stays operational when that is turned off. If you still have a dead battery after that , you can attack those areas that stay operational when that switch is turned off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello All,

Yesterday I saw that message appear on my 19 Kona. I'll check it later today to see if it comes back on.Maybe I'll test the battery when it stops raining

·
Registered
217 Posts
I tested the battery. 38F and Drizzling. Tested good. 677 CCA and 12.x Volts. I forget the number(x)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts