Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kona
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for options for carrying two bicycles without a hitch mount (roof or trunk mount is fine). Anyone accomplish this? Any photos and/or ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I use a hitch mainly but also use a roof (thule) - if you want access to the hatch while you have your trays installed mount them backwards (fork mount on the rear crossbar) so you don't have to worry about slamming the plastic of the hatch onto the back of the tray. I've seen a few people that use a saris bones trunk rack.

I have wondered if you could negate this scenario by mounting a kuat vagabond or something similar since it has mounts built in. Not on a kona but I have also seen people make a makeshift vagabond and mount their trays to the top of a roof basket, depending on how high the basket is it might provide enough clearance that you would miss the plastic of the hatch altogether.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im picking up my Kona tomorrow 🤞 and plan/hope to use my two Thule roof bike racks off my Forester, with new flush rail mount attachments. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for options for carrying two bicycles without a hitch mount (roof or trunk mount is fine). Anyone accomplish this? Any photos and/or ideas? Thanks!
I own a 2019 Kona. I use The Seasucker Bike Rack on my roof. It's secure, easy to put on & take off. I highly recommend that you consider the Seasucker Roof Rack.
IMG_20200624_185804.jpg IMG_20200624_185810.jpg

·
Registered
2019, Hyundai Kona Limited, Chalk White
1 Posts
I have Thule crossbars and one Küat Trio on the roof. I was able to position it forward facing and have it barely miss the hitch when opened. The front crossbar is basically at the very end of the rails. In the future I may install a hitch for a bike rack and get a roof cargo basket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We've used the YAKIMA FRONTLOADER with great success on our Mazda CX-3 & Subaru Crosstrek.
We broke in our brand-new 2020 Lime Twist Kona Ultimate last weekend and the Yakima worked
perfectly with the OEM roof rails. Happy biking!

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
LOL... not without a hitch, so to speak... I got my bike in the back one time by removing the front wheel, thank goodness for quick release hubs..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Managing to squeeze 2 bikes & a cargo box on our roof. Could even fit a 3rd bike if we really needed to. Box is Thule Frontier; needed some minor modification to give the tailgate clearance and still required sliding the front bar absurdly far forward, but it holds. Bars and bike trays are Aguri, not sure if you can still buy these, but they are comparable to thule/kuat/rockymounts (and use the same lock cores). Reconfigured the bike trays slightly and added locking fork mounts for added flexibility and security, but did not have any clearance issues with those. Full setup was solid and stable for a recent ~1,500 mi RT voyage.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts