Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't try lowering the pressure or anything however I did check the pressure with my Longacre pressure gauge after I installed the wheels and it matched what the car read, I just checked again and it's still correct...

I'm going to be installing my snow tires here in the next couple weeks I got them from Tire Rack with TPMS sensors as well, I'll check again once I install them.

I know on my F-150 and Mustangs I've never had to do anything when swapping wheels with different sensors than what the vehicle came with, I imagine as long as they are the same frequency as the factory they will automatically pick up once the PCM is trained for the factory set.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Got a Longacre digital also and they are accurate for sure.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Got a Longacre digital also and they are accurate for sure.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

Hard to beat those, they are killer gauges, I had their top tier analog version years ago, but it was lifted from me at a race track.

On the cheaper side, Consumer Reports tested cheap digital gauges and this one came out in the top 2-3. Accutire MS-4021R. Here is the dual pack that I bought and yes they are very accurate. I tested them on a $300 pressure gauge at work and there was a .6 and .8 (est) difference between the two against that gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THH9I7...8a38-0beae4e53ea4&ie=UTF8&qid=1540052235&sr=2

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tire-pressure-gauges/buying-guide/index.htm

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, I just find you've got more on the ball then they possibly might have.

I agree with you; it used to be you could go back to the bays and talk to the mechanic but I believe those days are long gone. Dealerships log it off to safety now, however it was never a safety issue for most. You might actually establish a friendship with the mechanic, even give him a tip for his work. I hope for your guys sake who have mandatory snow tires legislated, this is an added bonus. This way you won't have to spend allot of extra money to switch. I may not have to do the same but we pay enough for the vehicles we purchase and maintain.

Sometimes these cost are increased unnecessarily, just as I commented above.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

There is one place I could get info I bet........but it is not the Hyundai dealer and not Hyundai info. I am about 2 blocks away from a Honda dealer, and since we are in a first ring suburb and land is at a premium, most new dealerships have multi levels here. My local Honda dealer can park 200 cars on it's roof. Same with the new Audi dealership. Jaguar has a 80% chance of building a multi leave here soon too. Getting back to the Honda dealer, so they have off site employee parking in a lot near them and there are always at least 3 totally dressed up Honda fast and furious cars in that lot of what I can assume are the mechanics. THERE is where you would have a wealth of info on almost every question you would want. A group of "outside the box" "passionate" car enthusiasts. Not saying years ago you saw the Dodge dealer have all their workers running around with trick Hemis , but man is this a rare scenario in other brands other then Honda I bet. But then the issue of having that brand and accessing them and if they would even talk to you. Classic example the one relative that is a Lexus mechanic, no car passion, just drives a stock truck/car, would not help anyone out who came up to him. (but then again he is no Mr personality). Why he every became a mechanic I never knew why. I assume he is very good, but I see no passion from my side. I guess it's just a job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to necro this thread but I discovered something worth pointing out. I have a set of snow tires/wheels that came with tpms but I never activated the sensors. Just got my Kona, had the dealer swap them right away. The tire pressure is not reading ( as would be normal) but the good part is that I have no warning lights on, no chiming, etc... It's been almost 2 weeks. Point being, I believe you don't need to even worry about the tpms unless you like the handy psi reading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some winter tires and trims from my previous car. I have searched over internet about TPMS sensors for Kona and found something from Mobiletron and ordered one to try and see everything is ok. I put one sensor in one winter tire and mounted it on the car as left back wheel. I drove a few kilometers and nothing happened. Next day I thought what if I lower pressure. After that and about 5 km I have received alert, check pressure. After some more km, I could see also the pressure for all 4 wheels including the winter tire with the new sensor. The pressure was correct for all tires. I said everything is ok with the sensor and ordered 3 more sensors. Meanwhile I have reverted to summer tire.
Now that the winter came I have installed all 4 winter tires including the one used for the above test. Unfortunately, after driving more than 100 km nothing happened.
I have lowered pressure for one tire and after some time I have received the alert to check tire but it does not show the image with the tires and pressures. Now I am stuck in this situation. I have inflated back the tire but nothing changed.
Does anyone know if there is any reset procedure for tpms? In my opinion the test I have done is relevant and proves that the aftermarket sensor works.
Is there any service menu or some keys combination that perform reset?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't tried different wheels on a Kona but I do that that late model BMW motorcycles will auto learn a new sensor withing 10 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IT's really great technology as long as it works. My previous rides only gave a dash light with no specific tire. Not to mention an active tire pressure monitor for each individual wheel. Very impressive for an inexpensive car.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes, same with the Accent but at least it has one that works. Works well on my sons Kia Rio which is the same. Gets below 33 and it's on can't tell which one but it works.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
304 Posts
And the Canadian Konas don't even have a TPMS --- so winter tires much simpler
Is this for sure a fact? Looking into getting winters now for my Canadian 19 Ultimate.
I don't think I've seen anything in my screen menu that would show what the TP is so it would make sense they don't exist, but I would like to know for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is this for sure a fact? Looking into getting winters now for my Canadian 19 Ultimate.
I don't think I've seen anything in my screen menu that would show what the TP is so it would make sense they don't exist, but I would like to know for sure.
Found this dated March 1, 2018

"Even though it seems like a no-brainer, tire pressure monitoring systems aren’t going to be mandatory on vehicles made in Canada any time soon.

Despite the fact that American regulators found enough safety and fuel-efficiency evidence to require that they be installed on all cars and trucks made in the U.S. starting a decade ago, their counterparts on this side of the border don’t feel the same way.

A spokesman for Transport Canada said it simply hasn’t been convinced to follow the U.S. lead."

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
304 Posts
Ok so that tells me it's not government mandated... doesn't tell me if it exists in my car
I've driven many Canadian vehicles that have it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok so that tells me it's not government mandated... doesn't tell me if it exists in my car
I've driven many Canadian vehicles that have it
The TPMS display is very easy to find on my US 2019 Kona. It's in Assist Mode, Tire Pressure.

If it's not there, I would assume your Kona doesn't have it

Maybe check your online owners manual and search for TPMS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find the comments interesting, seeing my understanding of this process seems to be far different then others have posted. This is how I was told from Discount Tire and now a couple videos. The car needs to have a serial# of the sensor typed into the car's computer with a advanced $$$ scan tool that can program. Just as it shows in the video I previously posted. Now could, since the more recent cars can sense individual sensors to get each tire's own pressure, could they auto load these, this is what some posters are saying.

Has anyone who has switched away from their OEM Hyundai sensors on OEM rims and purchased new rims and sensors mail order, have you done a test to see if these new sensors are actually reading to the cars computer by dropping one tires pressure by 5 psi and driving around the block to verify that yes indeed the car's computer has an auto find feature with new sensors? Up to now, from what people have told me this can't be done and it is not designed that way. But they could be wrong since my dealers service manager said the Kona could not auto track the movement of a rotated tire in this system, and when I rotated them the unit clearly followed the flopped movement. Again, unimpressed with the modern day service managers knowledge at a high number of dealers. Many are order writers pushed up the ladder and not mechanics pushed up the ladder like I saw when younger.

2021 kona door panel shows 33psi front and rear tires. Adjust to 33psi with gauge. The TPMS will read 32/33psi if ambient temperature is 85-90 degrees, a 2+ increase is ok. My kona SEL handles and ride comfort much better. The manufacturers/engineers have taken that 2/+ increase or drop with the tires size prescribed for vehicle.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts