Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.6T DCT. I was wondering when I would use the manual shift feature. I might if I went someplace with mountains and wanted to engine brake, but I can't think of any day-to-day use.

I'm sure it can be a very useful feature, I'm just not taking advantage of it.

Do any of you use the manual shift mode? If so, when/why?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tried it a few times, and found no benefit to our normal driving routes. The car definitely accelerates faster when I let it do it's thing, rather than me trying to "shift/drive" it.

Might be interesting in the mountains, or some switchbacks where you want to have some fun, pushing the speeds and cornering, but realistically, that's not what we bought the Kona to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use mine just because I like it. For me it makes me feel more connected to the drive.
Also, I wouldn't recommend using the Auto-Stick to engine brake. If I remember correctly, the manual said something about that being likely to make the DCT overheat and possibly shut down until it cools.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've used mine once or twice. My previous car also had that feature but I hardly ever used it either. If I want the car to be more responsive I find that "Sport" mode scratches that itch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use mine in the mountains a lot. The dct is excellent for mountain road because of the engine breaking and no need to worry about AT fluid temps going up long grades. The manual mode is good when you need the roll on power so you can keep the rpm higher. For the most part sport mode in auto is good enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use the manual shifting in the mountains all the time. I also used it exclusively in my in-law's Santa Fe when we were pulling a trailer—the automatic couldn't quite agree on a gear to stay in, so that's where the manual came in handy. It's just nice to have control of the transmission during situations when the car's computer can't quite figure it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
it is my preferred way to drive her, I also added a air intake and resonator upgrade, and got stickier tires, so when I drive her in manual shift sport mode, she really start to become a hot Hatch. I'm really appreciating all the lil upgrades, from stockt that's making the car become what it is. Also thanks to this forum

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I use manual mode sometimes... It will short shift in automatic mode... but will let you hit higher
Rpms in manual mode.. This engine runs out of breath at those peak rpm’s anyway... so it’s not
Advantageous to hit the redline in this setup..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use mine in the mountains a lot. The dct is excellent for mountain road because of the engine breaking and no need to worry about AT fluid temps going up long grades. The manual mode is good when you need the roll on power so you can keep the rpm higher. For the most part sport mode in auto is good enough.
Do you use that downhill button to the right of the shifter also?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I use manual mode in heavy traffic to stay in first gear or second so it is not sifting every 10 ft. I also use it when trailering in some areas. Sport Mode is a 100% must when trailering anything, so 7th gear is not used and higher shift points. Also for some corners it is nice to be setup in a certain gear. There is really zero compression braking of any value in this car, so almost never is used in my driving style. Plus OEM Hyundai turbos like power to be rolled on and not dumped into a lower gear and WFO the pedal. A tune would help here, but I won't because I want a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I use manual mode in heavy traffic to stay in first gear or second so it is not sifting every 10 ft. I also use it when trailering in some areas. Sport Mode is a 100% must when trailering anything, so 7th gear is not used and higher shift points. Also for some corners it is nice to be setup in a certain gear. There is really zero compression braking of any value in this car, so almost never is used in my driving style. Plus OEM Hyundai turbos like power to be rolled on and not dumped into a lower gear and WFO the pedal. A tune would help here, but I won't because I want a warranty.

Say what? There certainly IS useful compression braking available in this car.. how could there not be with a 10:1 CR ?
Especially handy in stop and go traffic..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you use that downhill button to the right of the shifter also?

No never used it. On the mountain hwys keeping it around 3k rpm in manual mode seems to keep me at a good speed when I let off down hill. Also has tons of power at 3k for going back up. I sometimes have to ride the brakes still on a few hills.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Say what? There certainly IS useful compression braking available in this car.. how could there not be with a 10:1 CR ?
Especially handy in stop and go traffic..

Not mine, not enough motor cubic inch, I down shift and it goes to 5,000 rpm and there is almost nothing in compression braking. The weight of the car and momentum keeps the revs high and slows way to slow to be of any value to me. I guess that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
Not mine, not enough motor cubic inch, I down shift and it goes to 5,000 rpm and there is almost nothing in compression braking. The weight of the car and momentum keeps the revs high and slows way to slow to be of any value to me. I guess that's just me.
You must not remember or never had the pleasure of driving a turbo setup with 8.5:1 CR. The 1.6T kona is
a pleasure to drive in traffic because its easy to modulate traffic speed with just your right foot..
I usually try to avoid 5K rpm downshifts.. so I wont comment.. At speed its not hard to imagine the inertia
overcoming the lil 1.6 and not feeling much compression braking.. but for those driving "normal" , I appreciate
the feel and resistance the CR provides..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I was think race mode on the high rpm down shifts with double clutching which of course we can't do... ....There is almost nothing there so I don't use it to much advantage. Your BMW must have a lot more, I am remember back to my Camaro and even my 1.8 liter Scirroco had more that was useful, I don't know if the GDI engine with a turbo by-pass some of the vacuum with the BOV or wastegate. it just seems to be very very little "good" compression braking.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I use manual and sport virtually all the time. I hat driving an automatic but I had to give up my stick for family reasons. Manual shift makes me more in tune with the vehicle, and able to time the shifts. I think there's slight compression braking on corners - I just love the feel of the stick although I'm sure manuals and semi manuals will all be a thing of the past. Love how technology takes the fun out of driving, and focuses you on gizmos and meters. Driving enthusiast, your days are numbered. I know for sure. I asked Siri.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I have a fairly new 2021 kona that has 9000kms on the dial. I've been noticing that when in manual mode it feels like the turbo doesn't always kick in and unless im just getting used to the car even in sports mode it doesn't feel like it pulls as much as it does before or is any different to normal mode.I don't really notice these issues in automatic..
Anyone else experienced this or have any idea on what could be the issue. Will bring it up with the service technicians on my next service in 2000kms but curious if anyone else has had these issues?

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
Hey there, I have a fairly new 2021 kona that has 9000kms on the dial. I've been noticing that when in manual mode it feels like the turbo doesn't always kick in and unless im just getting used to the car even in sports mode it doesn't feel like it pulls as much as it does before or is any different to normal mode.I don't really notice these issues in automatic..
Anyone else experienced this or have any idea on what could be the issue. Will bring it up with the service technicians on my next service in 2000kms but curious if anyone else has had these issues?
there isn’t much difference in power, maybe a bit more boost under certain conditions is allowed in sport mode. the main difference is shift points. holding the gear longer to allow it to wind out.. The turbo is very quick to spool up, especially if you cruising and it’s already spinning up.. you won’t get the initial boost “feel” like when it comes up on boost from a dead stop..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts