Hyundai Kona Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Just as a note here for future buyers of Kona's, and as Bad~Papa said for fun driving or spirited driving the FWD Kona 1.6T works good, and is more then adequate for the average person.

But I will take this to the next level for you extremists like me. If you want a GREAT semi-hot hatch get the AWD if not just for snow, but just for "sport driving" even if you live in the desert. There are such great advantages to the AWD system when throwing the car into corners and being able to put down the power with zero wheel spin or objectionable FWD only handling personality IE bad understeer at the limit. Wheel spin is a great concern when you hit boost with no limited slip front differential and basically you have 195 ft lbs of torque to spin that ONE inside wheel. If you are more then a casual sport driver, get the AWD. It changes the handling characteristics of the car and gives you added speed and confidence in the corners at the limit. There are SO many times when I go through a low speed corner and I can feel the rear diff/ tires "pushing" me through the corners mid apex and bringing me out of the apex totally balanced. A wonderful feeling I might add. Another note to add is that my Kona AWD has Eibach lowering springs and front front adjustable alignment bolts so speed and feel is increased way more then the stock setup.

Also, the stock alignment is not conducive for sport driving. Getting alignment bolts in front so you can get the front to a 3/4 to 1 deg negative camber for the street will help your handling out by a large amount. My car is setup with 1 deg negative camber front and rear. I will be adding a 1/4 more negative camber in the rear this spring. My stock Kona had a ZERO front negative camber setting on one side before all my adjustments. This is a horrible setting for sport driving and should be changed. The rear camber is fully adjustable, different from what I was told before it was in my alignment guys shop.

I hope they decide to do the Kona N in AWD. It would be a great combination with the independent rear suspension.

Blessings and Peace

I believe you're correct Bebop on the torque vectoring. Enjoy it to the best of your ability.:smile:

The FWD Kona 1.6T handles quite nicely even when pushed into tight corners as long as you are aware of it's handling characteristics. As with most FWD's there is some oversteer but once you realize and are able to compensate thru steering and accelerator application it does just fine. (more blah, blah, blah deleted)

I wish I was around to demonstrate and teach those who were interested. It's an experience you'll never forget.:grin:

Blessings and Peace
FWD cars generally UNDER-steer, not over-steer. They tend to plow in corners which is UNDER-steering... RWD cars tend to over-steer.. those who missed the demonstration were
lucky..

Well maybe I not thinking clearly, and likely too. So when AWD if moving, the rear will power as the differential slips ? For some reason I randomly thought the rear only powered when the "4 drive button" , was activated ? Correct me please ! AWD will activate as needed under wheel slipping ? General stating the AWD does do something at highway speeds.

The button only locks it into AWD at low speeds should you desire it. By low I mean 25 mph or less (I forget the exact speed). Above that the system automatically disengages. The rest of the time the Kona has a computer controlled AWD system that engages when it detects wheel slippage. You get no dash notification of that per the owners manual. Its likely that it is engaging when you see the traction control light blink on, however.

If you toggle through the settings on the steering wheel controls, you will see a display that shows the current amount of power distribution going to the front/rear wheels. (At least on my '19 SEL it does).

If you toggle through the settings on the steering wheel controls, you will see a display that shows the current amount of power distribution going to the front/rear wheels. (At least on my '19 SEL it does).

While I don't think that option is there in any Hyundai product, please prove me wrong.....Please give us a diagram of how to get there. Since I am not in my car and I am away from it, I will use a computer diagram as an example

C: > Users > Rick > Desktop > Documents >2018 Photos > Hawaii Trip > Rick Surfing.

If you toggle through the menu button next to the cruise button, you press it once and can go up or down using the silver lever under it. Scroll to the "ALL WHEEL DRIVE" screen and it will give you a visual of the amount of power going to each wheel in real time. My pics are just sitting in the driveway and rolling in reverse and drive gears, but you can monitor it at normal speeds of course.

Attachments

AWD Reply

People tout 4WD as a god send. In my experience, it makes drivers cocky in bad weather. I have personally seen 5 rollover accidents from a too great reliance on 4WD. 2WD and 4WD isn't the issue, it is how you drive. Slow down as needed in bad weather. It is your driving skills that will save you.

People tout 4WD as a god send. In my experience, it makes drivers cocky in bad weather. I have personally seen 5 rollover accidents from a too great reliance on 4WD. 2WD and 4WD isn't the issue, it is how you drive. Slow down as needed in bad weather. It is your driving skills that will save you.

My rally driving skills are pretty good here in Minnesota winters with my AWD, I go fast but I try to do it when no one is in front of me or if they are to the side of me and I am gone like a flash .:angel:

I put snow tires on mine. I've used all seasons with no issues in the past here but that was on AWD/4WD's with a bit more ground clearance. I figured dedicated snow tires would offset that, plus I've become convinced by the various experts who say winter tires are the best thing for better traction in snow and on ice, even more important than AWD/4WD itself for most situations.

I put snow tires on mine. I've used all seasons with no issues in the past here but that was on AWD/4WD's with a bit more ground clearance. I figured dedicated snow tires would offset that, plus I've become convinced by the various experts who say winter tires are the best thing for better traction in snow and on ice, even more important than AWD/4WD itself for most situations.
A FWD on dedicated snow tires, will be more reliable and more trustworthy than the same AWD (version) vehicle, on all season tires.

My wife drove her 2006 Altima SE-R (FWD, 260 hp) for 13 years worth of Wisconsin winters, using dedicated snow tires, and never had a problem getting anywhere she needed to go. She's also a nurse, so her work was never called or canceled.

That's one of the reasons we went with just FWD on our Kona Limited.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.