Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try having the dealers service dept reprogram your key fobs to your vehicle. Sometimes w/all the random frequencies in the air waves a disruptive one causes these problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mine is an 18 and push button as well. so far i haven't had this issue thankfully and don't blame you at all for feeling stressed about it. the battery in the fob was just a possibility to check, since you know the battery is fine, then it's clearly not that. i hope your dealer can figure it out!

Reactions: Suzy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vinny, nothing, nada, no codes, no diagnosis. I have a push-button & nowhere to insert the key to start it, I use the fob to push in the button. It did it consistently for 5 times - I decided to video when I start it so the service guy doesn't think that I don't know what I'm doing! I guess I'm the only one in Columbus, Ohio that has this problem.
I will say that after at least 4-5 tries to start it that I wait about 1-2 minutes and it will start. Sounds a little sluggish but then runs ok. Since the last episode, it has started ok. (Knock on wood)
Mine is a 2018 Kona. Odd that there is no placement for the key fob. My son who does auto body didn't believe me! Until he couldn't find it either. I guess all of the 2019 Konas at the dealership do not have the push button. hmmm I wonder why... could it be because the 2018's have that push-button problem!
I apologize for the bitterness. I used to love my Kona. I have developed anxiety about starting my car. Good luck!
Fortunately, my 2019 SEL hasn't had a starting issue since this one incident, but I now always wonder if it will act up down the road. I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid that I bought new that would just shut off while in the midst of driving and they couldn't find the cause at first. It took a few trips to the dealer and me finally getting it on video to get it fixed properly, and it has been fine since, and that was in 2011. At the same time, many, many others still have the same issue, even now. So I have that seed planted in my head about the Kona starter now....
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/check-charging-system.129573/

Reactions: Suzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I follow a Kona group on Facebook. It's great for people to show off their new Kona's and mods, but terrible for discussing technical issues.

Anyway, a few had posted about issues starting their Kona, one even said the dealer told them it was a software issue.

So has anyone here had issues starting their Kona (other than dead battery or out of gas, duh) and if so what was the fix?

Also was it a Push Button Start model?
Kona with pushbutton start. I had the car only days when the remote start ceased functioning. Easy fix. It was easier to just hit the lock button on the armrest than to find fob in my purse, but that wasn't setting the alarm as is required. So I just unlocked/relocked doors with fob, and then used remote start and TaDaa!!! Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I saw on an older Hyundai with the Button Start a slot, Inside the center console. Had to insert the FOB in the slot to start. Does the Kona have this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not on my '19 SEL. My '11 Sonata hybrid has that feature though. The Kona requires you to place the fob up to the start button I believe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not on my '19 SEL. My '11 Sonata hybrid has that feature though. The Kona requires you to place the fob up to the start button I believe.
Not sure what your referring to with this comment. On our 2019 Limited (1.6T) the push button start has been perfect, and functions every time.

There is a section in the owner's manual that talks about IF your push button fails to operate as it's designed, you can put the FOB near the push button and try that to start it, but it certainly is not how you start it on a normal basis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was referring to exactly what you are talking about; if the battery in the fob dies and you need to start the vehicles. My Sonata has a slot inside the center console that you have to place the fob with dead battery in to start it, but the Kona (and my Honda Odyssey as well) require you to place the dead fob up to the start button itself to start them...

Reactions: dklanecky1

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Kona (Iron Man Model) just had the issue this AM. Any help would be appreciated. I hopped in and hit start, says key not detected. Annoyed, I pulled the key out of my pocket, still no luck, it said on the screen to push the start button with the key, I tried that, lights started flashing like crazy, no engine. I hit the unlock button to test battery, it worked, same thing when trying to start. I had to get to work so took the wife's car, but this is making me panic. If I can't start the car, I live in a small town far from a dealer, so it will be a hassle. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
My 2019 Kona (Iron Man Model) just had the issue this AM. Any help would be appreciated. I hopped in and hit start, says key not detected. Annoyed, I pulled the key out of my pocket, still no luck, it said on the screen to push the start button with the key, I tried that, lights started flashing like crazy, no engine. I hit the unlock button to test battery, it worked, same thing when trying to start. I had to get to work so took the wife's car, but this is making me panic. If I can't start the car, I live in a small town far from a dealer, so it will be a hassle. Any tips would be appreciated.
Did you try the other key fob ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you try the other key fob ?
I should have. Was eager to get to work, and by the time I got back the battery was dead dead, so I did not. At dealer now. They said they got it running and are checking for any leaks of power. Battery looks good. Maybe I just left something on and drained the battery? I guess the odd keyfob behavior could result from a low battery? It is under 5,000 miles so seems it shouldn't have drained from a simple light left on or something, which is why they are checking if something else is draining it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts