Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I follow a Kona group on Facebook. It's great for people to show off their new Kona's and mods, but terrible for discussing technical issues.

Anyway, a few had posted about issues starting their Kona, one even said the dealer told them it was a software issue.

So has anyone here had issues starting their Kona (other than dead battery or out of gas, duh) and if so what was the fix?

Also was it a Push Button Start model?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had one misfire code when remote starting it at -35 over the winter. Out of several weeks of -35. Otherwise it's been great

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I follow a Kona group on Facebook. It's great for people to show off their new Kona's and mods, but terrible for discussing technical issues.

Anyway, a few had posted about issues starting their Kona, one even said the dealer told them it was a software issue.

So has anyone here had issues starting their Kona (other than dead battery or out of gas, duh) and if so what was the fix?

Also was it a Push Button Start model?

Can you post a link to this facebook group please

·
Registered
227 Posts
@Green Sub never an issue here with the push start.

On a side note my wife’s 2016 VW Touareg has similar key fob but you have to take it out of your pocket and push it into the spot our push button is.....drives me insane when I use it. Have gotten so used to just having the Kona fob in my pocket...push and Blast off!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I am experiencing it again. In July it started doing it very occasionally & I thought it was me. In Sept it happened again several times in a row. Dealer said possibly software issue. It's been ok since then until 2 days ago. I try at least twice with finger touch then twice with fob key but no luck. I have began to wait & try again & it seems to work. I actually started taking videos of me trying to start it. I hate that I am spending quite a bit on a car I once loved! But if I cant depend on it, I dont want to drive it! Heading back to dealership today!

·
Registered
40 Posts
What was the diagnosis? My 2019 SEL with less than 12,000 miles on it wouldn't start yesterday. I wasn't home and my daughter and wife made numerous attempts to start it but no luck, so they called me and had me come home. I checked voltage and it read 12.49 volts, so it was slightly low but not too bad. Using my fob, I hit the start button and it made an annoying grinding sound, like the starter not meshing with the flywheel at first, and then started but ran really rough for a few seconds before running normally. Checked voltage while idling and it was well over 14 volts. Shut it off and restarted it numerous times and ran normally and has run fine since it happened. No MIL light illuminated, and I ran a scan on my OBD and all was fine. I have it hooked up on a battery maintainer now just to top off the charge, but the battery definitely wasn't the reason for the no-start condition in my opinion. I hope this isn't the start of some annoying, phantom, hard to diagnose problem that I will be seeing more of in the near future...

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
@Green Sub never an issue here with the push start.

On a side note my wife’s 2016 VW Touareg has similar key fob but you have to take it out of your pocket and push it into the spot our push button is.....drives me insane when I use it. Have gotten so used to just having the Kona fob in my pocket...push and Blast off!
On my bmw, you have to stick the key fob in the dash slot. dumb setup, they should have just kept the key.

·
Registered
70 Posts
anyone tried changing the fob battery?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looked up a few vids, but none of them are for the same Key/Fob I have. I'm sure it's similar though, I'll try it when it dies. No use breaking it by accident until then.
when the battery starts to die, or dies, in order to start with a push button you pretty much need to touch it to the button... which is why i was wondering if some tried that. it might be the issue for some, but not all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What was the diagnosis? My 2019 SEL with less than 12,000 miles on it wouldn't start yesterday. I wasn't home and my daughter and wife made numerous attempts to start it but no luck, so they called me and had me come home. I checked voltage and it read 12.49 volts, so it was slightly low but not too bad. Using my fob, I hit the start button and it made an annoying grinding sound, like the starter not meshing with the flywheel at first, and then started but ran really rough for a few seconds before running normally. Checked voltage while idling and it was well over 14 volts. Shut it off and restarted it numerous times and ran normally and has run fine since it happened. No MIL light illuminated, and I ran a scan on my OBD and all was fine. I have it hooked up on a battery maintainer now just to top off the charge, but the battery definitely wasn't the reason for the no-start condition in my opinion. I hope this isn't the start of some annoying, phantom, hard to diagnose problem that I will be seeing more of in the near future...
Vinny, nothing, nada, no codes, no diagnosis. I have a push-button & nowhere to insert the key to start it, I use the fob to push in the button. It did it consistently for 5 times - I decided to video when I start it so the service guy doesn't think that I don't know what I'm doing! I guess I'm the only one in Columbus, Ohio that has this problem.
I will say that after at least 4-5 tries to start it that I wait about 1-2 minutes and it will start. Sounds a little sluggish but then runs ok. Since the last episode, it has started ok. (Knock on wood)
Mine is a 2018 Kona. Odd that there is no placement for the key fob. My son who does auto body didn't believe me! Until he couldn't find it either. I guess all of the 2019 Konas at the dealership do not have the push button. hmmm I wonder why... could it be because the 2018's have that push-button problem!
I apologize for the bitterness. I used to love my Kona. I have developed anxiety about starting my car. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts