Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any plans to do some major additions to your Kona while virus sequestered? Post what your going to do. Then when and if you finish and you have pictures, post in the category that pertains to the modification.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well im still at work, though 95% of my co-workers are working from home. But when and if the local or state requires we close, i have lots of stuff to work on. I have a led light bar to install and tint, new grill to fit, usb charge cables to install in the rear arm rest, adding a different switch to the rear trunk lamp, repaint the roof rails, full detail inside and out, changing catch can(s) location, mount external oil cooler, install new black silicone radiator hoses, change the belt, minor wire tuck, repolish the valve cover, and much more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lost my job before NJ went on a Lock Down. No money at the moment . I will put a Tender Harness on it. When the weather gets nice, Harley time!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife 's last day as a front desk at a dentist office was mandated by our Governor for 2 weeks , but I see that lasting a month plus. My job is still going in a mid size print shop. We are in a large building and we can easily stay 10 to 20 ft plus apart. They plan on staying open till our Governor closes everyone down. I am out today because of a stressed knee meniscus muscle I fight 8 times a year.

I have on the agenda welding up an addition to my driver side rear seat belt over the shoulder belt retractor that is mounted on the C pillar. I have to add a raising bridge to mount a 1/2 bolt above the unit and cut a opening in the rear plastic wheel well cover to mount a main attachment point for a DOT Approved 4 point harness. It would of been so so much easier to pull the retractor. As I wrote this, I am now thinking I may just pull the retractor and make this fabrication so much easier to just TIG weld up a bolt mount since it is so rare I have 4 people in my car. We take the Rav4 when we need a people hauler.

Then I have two blocks of 1 1/2 inch of 6061 T6 that I need to raise my lower ball joints to correct my front roll center. I purchused a junkyard Kona lower control arm for the measuring and the mock up since my Kona is a daily driver. Then I will need to fit rod ends and make my own bumpsteer kit to follow the 1 1/2 inch lift of the steering ends.

I was going to do a slotted brake rotor purchase just before this virus nightmare, but did not want to expend the cash that will be needed with the full crushing of the world's economy's.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am out today because of a stressed knee meniscus muscle I fight 8 times a year.
I don't know how bad your meniscus issue is but I had mine fixed surgically (orthoscope surgery) a few years ago (in my late 50's) and was back to normal activity in less than 3 days. The pain was so bad with mine that I couldn't sleep at night.

Easiest surgery to recover from that I ever had.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know how bad your meniscus issue is but I had mine fixed surgically (orthoscope surgery) a few years ago (in my late 50's) and was back to normal activity in less than 3 days. The pain was so bad with mine that I couldn't sleep at night.

Easiest surgery to recover from that I ever had.
I am 57 and I have not even gone in yet for it, ever. I know it is the meniscus and it heals, but it takes 2-3 days, and never am I 100%. I have to take glucosamine and chondroitin for the past 15 years to function with no pain. The last 2 years I can fell it degrading (meniscus, not cartilage ) will only very very little discomfort. I know it is only time till I will need to go in since this one is about 10% worse then the last one. I want to let it heal a bit and then I will start doing excesses for it for the first time. Gone is my good health care, because we have had multiple brain, back, and heart surgery's and other $$$ quad care that hit our company ( perfect storm) what appears to be a geriatric company that we are screwed for years. So I have to pay cash on it. II would get the diagnosis that something is wrong with so many meniscus event. I will have to search for a surgeon who will use a Arthroscopy instead of and MRI or CT to get his final diagnosis since with Arthroscopy if he finds anything he can fix it right there on the spot and save me a ton of money out of the pocket. Do you remember how much yours was? Then I can add 5-10% increase a year to get a rough idea on costs? Being 25-30lbs over weight doesn't help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I recall correctly, it was about $2.5K, total all in, including pre-operative physical exam, x-rays, aftercare (2 office visits, second one removing the stitches) etc. One hole cut on one side of the knee for the scope, and one hole cut on the other side for the necessary surgical tools. He also cleaned up some arthritis in there while he was there, no charge!

I was out for about an hour, and had to have someone drive me home afterwards due to the sedative. He gave me some pain pills, but I never needed them as the pain never reached above about a 2-3 level. I was mowing the grass two days later with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
Well im still at work, though 95% of my co-workers are working from home. But when and if the local or state requires we close, i have lots of stuff to work on. I have a led light bar to install and tint, new grill to fit, usb charge cables to install in the rear arm rest, adding a different switch to the rear trunk lamp, repaint the roof rails, full detail inside and out, changing catch can(s) location, mount external oil cooler, install new black silicone radiator hoses, change the belt, minor wire tuck, repolish the valve cover, and much more.
Why external oil cooler ? Whats wrong with the stock? Are you seeing high temps ? Seems you would have to track it to get into those real high temps.. ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Street I don't see a need, even auto X is borderline. Track I would think it would.

Does anyone know if the Veloster N has an external oil cooler? They knew that would be a tracked car. Maybe a larger water cooled ex changer then the Kona and a larger radiator too?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Added note to my above post on thinking I would be off during this stay at home mandate. Our print shop does printing for 5 different medical companies, so we are an essential business. Our company laid off 4 bad seeds and 3 others, office people got their salaries cut 10% and hourly workers have no OT and cut to 36 hour work weeks. That was phase 1 of 4 phases. I do 3 different jobs there, so I can only hope I make it to phase 3 before the furlough. I expect there will for sure be a phase 2 event.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
37 Posts

Can i see your catch can setup please.

What's up with oil cooler? Are you seeing high temps or something?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
37 Posts
Go with the large tube plumbing, my car did not like the smaller fittings. I had idle issues and pulled it. I still have not run larger tubing....some day.
Im working on how to mount them. I have the one catch can (the one POST THROTTLE BODY) was decently easy to mount. Eventually I'm going to make a mount for it up front.

The one for the PRE throttle body i wanted to mount on the passenger shock tower area but again... need to make a mount.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
37 Posts
For now though on the first drive the one seems fine.
-Drop in filter coming soon hopefully it'll give a little more intake/spool volume. (My airbox is open)

One of these days im going to hook up my obd2 scanner and monitor bunch of parameters on 87... then switch to 93 and see if it makes a difference for acceleration/timing/psi/knock etc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts