Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a sense for the Kona's reliability... I understand that it's a 2 year old model, but maybe some high mileage owners can chime in.

How many miles do you have your Kona? Which engine and what problems have you had?

Thanks in advance, folks!!!

·
Banned
179 Posts
I'm trying to get a sense for the Kona's reliability... I understand that it's a 2 year old model, but maybe some high mileage owners can chime in.

How many miles do you have your Kona? Which engine and what problems have you had?

Thanks in advance, folks!!!
Im about 12k on an 8 month old car, with the 1.6l turbo. No issues other then a flat tire from road debris, but that doesnt count.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had my Ultimate since July 26th and currently have just over 15K miles, the only issues I've had are winter fuel economy. From talking to people on here and the facebook page it was assumed it was just winter gas blend, however a few weeks ago we had some warm days about 60 degrees and my mileage went almost to where it was with the summer gas, not sure what causes it as I was always told that turbos are more efficient in cold air, but maybe not. Either way the dealer says they can't find any issues.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Turbos and N/A engines always run better are in cooler, less dense air. Old drag racing knowledge.:wink: They'll produce more power for per a given tune.

Try some detergent fuel additive for a couple of tank fulls. Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/techron-complete-fuel-system-cleaner.htmlor B 44K, https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/

You can also opt for a Fuel Injection System Cleaning which will also help the exhaust valves . BG Platinum™ Fuel Service. Allot has to do with your fuel injectors. If they start to get dirty they aren't as efficient and will reduce fuel economy. It's recommend every 15K miles. Kia dealership did my sons Kia Rio and it not only brought up the fuel mileage back to where it was when it had only 5K miles. It runs much smoother also. He averages around 36-37 mph combined with the 1.6 N/A gamma engine.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: tobidog123

·
Registered
160 Posts
Coming up to 10k miles after 2 months on a 2018 2.0L SE. It's a good car that exceeded my expectations. I would choose it over a Honda or Toyota and flip a coin against a Mazda CX-3.

Interior is durable and controls are mostly intuitive. Could use more cargo room, but it is a subcompact. Averaging 33.5 mpg so far. You will most likely need an oil filter wrench if you are not Hulk and change your own oil. Could use one more USB in the console and Blondie says they need more cup holders in back.

No mechanical issues whatsoever, although it might use a few drops of oil if you floor it over 80 mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Turbos and N/A engines always run better are in cooler, less dense air. Old drag racing knowledge.:wink: They'll produce more power for per a given tune.

Try some detergent fuel additive for a couple of tank fulls. Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/techron-complete-fuel-system-cleaner.htmlor B 44K, https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/

You can also opt for a Fuel Injection System Cleaning which will also help the exhaust valves . BG Platinum™ Fuel Service. Allot has to do with your fuel injectors. If they start to get dirty they aren't as efficient and will reduce fuel economy. It's recommend every 15K miles. Kia dealership did my sons Kia Rio and it not only brought up the fuel mileage back to where it was when it had only 5K miles. It runs much smoother also. He averages around 36-37 mph combined with the 1.6 N/A gamma engine.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

I tried the Techron and didn't notice any differences, haven't tried the BG stuff. However if the Techron doesn't produce a noticeable difference would the BG do it?

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
I've had my Ultimate since July 26th and currently have just over 15K miles, the only issues I've had are winter fuel economy. From talking to people on here and the facebook page it was assumed it was just winter gas blend, however a few weeks ago we had some warm days about 60 degrees and my mileage went almost to where it was with the summer gas, not sure what causes it as I was always told that turbos are more efficient in cold air, but maybe not. Either way the dealer says they can't find any issues.
Colder weather keeps the engine running rich longer, analogous to a choke.. Its takes longer for the engine to warm up all the while running rich..
I was out today and it was 39 degrees.. after driving 15 miles, stopped for 25 minutes.. got back in to drive and the temp gauge was at cold.
The avg trip MPG was way lower than the norm mpg I get in warmer weather...
If you're using descent gas, you shouldn't need any additives.. They have their uses.. but not a magical solution for mileage..
These cars use a wax pellet type thermostat.. Not sure if they operate different than a bi-metal spring which has a range.. or if the wax melts only at a defined temp
and makes one move to open or close.. ? I saw the thermostat type listed in the SM..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my ‘18 Ultimate new 11 months ago, I’m at 14,400 miles and haven’t had a single issue yet. Annnnd, I really hope i didn’t just jinx myself by saying that. No regrets, but I do wish the trunk were roomier, I’d really like to get a bike in there. Would settle for a bike rack, but that’s a no-go too

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

So it sounds like you have a turbo. Are you using it to accelerate even 1/8% more then you did before you will have substantial reduction in gas mileage. I get about 17 to 18 MPG with mine in the winter since my foot is into boost a lot. If I do a hwy trip, I get 31-33mpg because I try not to get into boost to see if I can get my mileage up and I can. It is a foot to tank issue most of the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So it sounds like you have a turbo. Are you using it to accelerate even 1/8% more then you did before you will have substantial reduction in gas mileage. I get about 17 to 18 MPG with mine in the winter since my foot is into boost a lot. If I do a hwy trip, I get 31-33mpg because I try not to get into boost to see if I can get my mileage up and I can. It is a foot to tank issue most of the time.

I do have a turbo, my driving style doesn't change summer to winter, my commute to work is about 8 miles on town roads and 25 on the highway. In the winter I go to the mountains a lot to go snowboarding and on that trip it's about 120 miles on the highway and 50 on town roads. 99% of the time that I'm driving on the highway I have cruise control on as I leave for work after rush hour and leave to go home after as well. The only time I have any sort of hard acceleration is getting onto the highway as driving to and from the highway I hit a lot of red lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my ‘19 SEL brand new at the beginning of this year and now I’m at 24,300 miles. She still runs solid with no issues with the transmission, battery or anywhere major. Only thing done was I had to replace a front tire during the summer after getting a nail caught in the tire sidewall. This is my first SUV (have always owned sedans) and hopefully this one will last a long time :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
47k on a 2018 and only a rough start which I think it a software glitch. It corrected itself. Already went thru a set of tires and replaced them with OEM Hankook GTs, same as original. Good car you should buy it if priced lower than a CX-3.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My car came with Nexen Npriz AH8 tires, they are all season and only about 100 to replace, are those all season too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
47k on a 2018 and only a rough start which I think it a software glitch. It corrected itself. Already went thru a set of tires and replaced them with OEM Hankook GTs, same as original. Good car you should buy it if priced lower than a CX-3.
I know it's been a few years but do you still have it? If so how's it running now and how many miles?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our 2019 SE is 29 months old, 43K miles and zero issues.

Mobil 1 5w20 Extended Performance and OEM filters every 7.5K miles

New tires at 41K miles

Luckily it missed the 2.0 recall by 3 months. I love my Kona.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2020 Ultimate with 21,000. Absolutely no issues except for a small vibration with the a/c on at a stoplight. Putting Sport mode on adds rpm and the vibration stops. I agree on the trunk space being a bit small tho.

·
Registered
254 Posts
49000 miles and we had to have a blow off valve replaced under warranty. Other than that smooth sailing.

·
Registered
2018 Kona SEL, AWD, Tech Package in Chalk White
19 Posts
2018 SEL AWD w/Tech package.
Purchased new May 2018
Replaced battery July 2020, 31K miles. Battery swelled & shorted internally. (Hottest day of the year in Indy)
Replaced starter, Feb 2021, 36K miles. Starter failed on coldest day of the year in Indy. Replaced under Warrenty.
June 2021, Currently 41K miles, going strong with Oil & Filter changes every 5000 miles with Mobile 1 (factory filter) and tire rotation & rebalance at same mileage point.
Mix of city & hiway driving (Indianapolis means 30mph on streets & 85+mph on freeways). Hankook GT's have almost half their tread depth left, Brake pads have over half their life left. It's the wife's car and is kept clean always.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts