Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Antifreeze

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  coder 
#1 ·
Ok so I am trying to find antifreeze for my Kona. I don't like mixing it, but on the other hand I want something that's tried and true. I also understand that some antifreeze works well with what's in it and some does not. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I went ahead and read your owner's manual for you (I don't own a Kona) https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/conte...ai/glovebox-manual/2019/kona/2019 Kona OM.pdf

Ethelyne Glycol, which is also commonly known as "the green coolant", as orange is Dexcool. And your maintenance interval is 10 years or 120,000 miles for the first change, then 24mo/30k afterward. So you're definitely preparing well ahead.

You're welcome.

#6 · (Edited)
Just go to a Kia dealership and buy a gallon of anti-freeze, it is cheaper then Hyundai's and is the same. I was at the Hyundai dealer so I bought some for a top off. There is no way I am going through all the BS just top off my tank, I just bought a jug. I don't mix antifreeze in good cars , like I will in a beater. Good oil, I will mix in a good car.

#10 ·
Long life P-HOAT coolant, for asian cars. The key is it has to be silicate and borate free. I use valvoline xerex blue, it actually has a purple color, similar to the OEM coolant and specifically recommended for Hyundai. Some european formulations such as Pentosyn should work also. The valvo blue is a bit over $12 for a 50/50 premixed gallon.

But:the actual OEM coolant can be ordered on Amazon for $24. This is cheaper than it appears, because it is non-diluted. Have to dilute it with equal amount of distilled water before use, so really it is only $12 per gallon, about same price as the valvo.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyun...coolant&qid=1594575803&sr=8-3#customerReviews

Obviously, you cant go very wrong with the genuine Hyundai coolant. :).

Using the right coolant is fairly important, it depends on things like: do you have led solder in your radiator? Is it aluminium? Is it copper? etc. Over time you can have problems if you just use an inexpensive generic short life green coolant. The generic coolant packaging will tell you it can be mixed with any other coolant... Not.

#11 ·
Long life P-HOAT coolant, for asian cars. The key is it has to be silicate and borate free. I use valvoline xerex blue, it actually has a purple color, similar to the OEM coolant and specifically recommended for Hyundai. Some european formulations such as Pentosyn should work also. The valvo blue is a bit over $12 for a 50/50 premixed gallon.

But:the actual OEM coolant can be ordered on Amazon for $24. This is cheaper than it appears, because it is non-diluted. Have to dilute it with equal amount of distilled water before use, so really it is only $12 per gallon, about same price as the valvo.
Robot Check

Obviously, you cant go very wrong with the genuine Hyundai coolant. :).

Using the right coolant is fairly important, it depends on things like: do you have led solder in your radiator? Is it aluminium? Is it copper? etc. Over time you can have problems if you just use an inexpensive generic short life green coolant. The generic coolant packaging will tell you it can be mixed with any other coolant... Not.
Just go to the Kia dealership, I think it is cheaper then the Amazon Hyundai stuff. Your pay tax either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.