Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and nice to meet you. Name's Sam, from MD, USA. I purchased a Surf Blue Limited AWD Kona recently. So far, it's been great. I even managed to stuff a Queen-sized mattress platform in it somehow LOL.

I loved how nimble and not-SUV the Kona felt when I drove it.

A little about me: I have a background in mechanic work, I have some (~6 years) experience of performance modification and ECU tuning. My previous car was a 6th Gen Toyota Celica with it's original 2.2L 5SFE engine modified internally and externally to reach around 350 wheel horsepower with a turbo. It was a street-driven, daily driver with a/c and all.

My near-future plans for the Kona are aesthetic mods: either 18 or 19 inch aftermarket wheels, I will probably do lowering springs when they become available but would prefer to do coilovers so that it's just a matter of lowering for the summer and raising for the winter, and the added handling benefit that comes with them.

Also a few bolt on engine mods like turbo resonator delete pipe, intake, blow off valve and a muffler change, and a tune to take advantage of 93 octane fuel and possibly even e85. I wouldn't like to go all out on this car like I did on my Celica because it will be my only car for the next few years. But I do want it to make a bit more noise.

I hope to meet others that are of the same mindset as me on this forum. ?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Mahalo and Welcome!

Be careful as to what you do during your warranty period. A tune will void your warranty just about as quick as you can blink your eye. It's traceable thru Hyundai's SAE software coding. Raising and lowering the vehicle requires quite a bit more with coil overs. Caster & Camber front and rear, as well as toe in will need to be adjusted from any adjustment and again, check your warranty as well as your dealer. They don't take kindly to suspension modification. The Magnuson - Moss Act won't protect you either.

https://geckoracingusa.com/collections/hyundai/products/g-street-coilover-for-17-up-hyundai-kona GKHY-039-S
Regular price $850.00.

The rear suspension is not a coil over set up. Factory suspension calculations and specifications are precise, and after-market upgrades slip into downgrades without correct planning. There is only one manufacture of lowering spring for the Kona at this time and it's Eibach and they have to be ordered from overseas and they aren't cheap by any means of the word.

You might want to rethink this portion of your list.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for your concern. I'm well aware of what my plans entail and how the warranty works. Hence why I stated my background haha. I don't really believe in warranties. They tend to be more trouble than they're worth for someone like me. For someone who has a car to go from point A to point B, then yeah they might be useful. This platform, anyways, isn't that new. 1.6T has been around for a while now and it's known to spontaneously implode on the old Veloster. Let's hope that with the new changes to the engine they improved on that.

Thanks, but I don't like Gecko Racing. The only "cheap" coilover brand I would purchase is BC Racing. When they come out with a solution for the Kona AWD I will be one of the first ones to buy it. For now, springs would suffice if there was anything available but like you said there is not. I know modifying suspension components changes the alignment, but installing coilovers will definitely not impact the vehicle negatively in terms of handling. Stock suspension is meant to provide comfort over everything else. It wouldn't be my first time modifying a vehicle's suspension. ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey, thanks for your concern. I'm well aware of what my plans entail and how the warranty works. Hence why I stated my background haha. I don't really believe in warranties. They tend to be more trouble than they're worth for someone like me. For someone who has a car to go from point A to point B, then yeah they might be useful. This platform, anyways, isn't that new. 1.6T has been around for a while now and it's known to spontaneously implode on the old Veloster. Let's hope that with the new changes to the engine they improved on that.

Thanks, but I don't like Gecko Racing. The only "cheap" coilover brand I would purchase is BC Racing. When they come out with a solution for the Kona AWD I will be one of the first ones to buy it. For now, springs would suffice if there was anything available but like you said there is not. I know modifying suspension components changes the alignment, but installing coilovers will definitely not impact the vehicle negatively in terms of handling. Stock suspension is meant to provide comfort over everything else. It wouldn't be my first time modifying a vehicle's suspension. ?
That precisely why I like to do my research on what I plan to buy. Then find good independent shops I can depend on. Its not often you find the best of services at dealerships. My Toyota friends seem to have better experiences but the same can't be said about Hyundai dealers. Are there at least good independent shops near you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That precisely why I like to do my research on what I plan to buy. Then find good independent shops I can depend on. Its not often you find the best of services at dealerships. My Toyota friends seem to have better experiences but the same can't be said about Hyundai dealers. Are there at least good independent shops near you?
I don't know, I'm new to the area so it's a part of my research that I need to get going.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Keep in mind it's fine to have another shop do maintenance and oil changes but when it comes to a warranted problem you need to take it to the Hyundai Dealer to remain in the terms of the warranty. Be aware also you need to show you have adhered to their warranty requirements via receipts from the shop you take it to. If you have a warranted issues such as an engine problem or other, it needs to stay within Hyundai's warranted standards or you won't have a leg to stand on when it comes time for a costly repair on them.

I will agree that you can find better mechanical shops but they are few.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Kona. Looking forward to following your build progress as you begin aftermarket mods. Is there an ideal hp figure that you're trying to hit?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you put coilovers in, expect a high chance they will not warranty ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods and rear lateral joints. If you use Eibach's Pro Kit, you may have a chance on getting it warranted since the springs are black and there is not RACE CAR PARTS!!!!!! SCREAMING at the service managers face, as he looks at your car when the mechanic asks him "well do we warranty this ball joint?" NO big deal, because the chances are very very low you will need a new one in the first 60,000 miles. The big money issue is the engine, not suspension parts. Adding this coilover kit does not affect your engine warranty unless you add a tune, then all bets are off on the engine warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts