Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok still awaiting my Kona but that doesn’t mean I can’t research and shop for it.

Here was an amazing link that got me a very large and detailed PDF all about our brakes and the entire braking related systems. Great bedtime reading!:wink:

https://service.hyundai-motor.com/euro5/login.tiles

I’m guessing if you register you may have to pay to get TSBs and service manual stuff from here....VW had something like this....BUT for free and all my friends here if you click the great lower right button that says “ Brake Manual” and look for Kona and your preferred language....VOILA!

Enjoy:grin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem...

I was amazed at all the info and torque specs etc. This will come in handy one day when dealing with brake stuff.

Also think it may be worthwhile one day paying for a month and grabbing all the info we can about our Kona's

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The link above was for Europe...had the free brake info......here is the US one, no free info sadly.

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/default.aspx

You need to download the PDF and upload it here . Both your Euro and USA links post as a data entry interface with a user name and password. It appears this site takes PDFs as well as JPGs. Inside this PDF did you ever find a brake proportionate valve that changes bias pressure from front to rear brakes?..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mainia1 I searched the PDF, valve comes up 45 times but none mentioned bias or proportionate...lots of info in there for you to go over though for sure!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Sorry but the proportioning valve is electronic and is controlled by the brake ECU, which is controlled by the engine ECU. Brake bias cannot be adjusted, it's statically set from the factory and nonadjustable, even with the SAE J2534 Analyzer.

Most OEMs are very protective of their reflash programs. The growing trend is that the new program does not reside on the hard drive or memory of the reflash tool. Instead, the program is directly burned onto the module from the internet. Most of the OEMs site piracy and intellectual property concerns, which is valid since the cost to write the code and test the calibrations is very expensive.

The software running the EBD system is calibrated by Hyundai engineers to the vehicle in computer simulations and on test tracks. Sometimes problems are not discovered until the vehicle is on the road being driven by the public.

Sometimes the program/calibration for the ESC (electronic stability system) system needs a little “tweaking” due to changes in the vehicle, like a new tire size, vehicle weight or unforeseen driver behaviors. This is where SAE J2534 reflashing comes into play. However the brake bias is static and cannot be changed manually or electronically.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I plan on "trying" to fitting some rear Tuscon brakes if everything fits, adapter wise. I am thinking on doing that mid winter. Plus we will see if new Eibachs help.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Hope it suits your wants, desires and you're successful.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
Kona 2020
9 Posts
Anybody here knows if we can fit bigger breaks from something like a sta fe? I dont want to shell out for brembo, I know they are great, but just looking for improvement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts