Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought an SE model to avoid all the modern extra driving electronics, and so I could have a physical key. I absolutely love my Kona! It's the first brand new car I've ever bought in my life. It's like having a '67 Camaro again (which I still have) but with AWD for Michigan winters.

I would however like to add roof rails. They don't come with the SE. I've found a couple sites for figuring out the part numbers to order. The problem is that I'm seeing two versions of the part numbers. One version has "PGY" on the end.

On further googling, I find that at least in terms of touch up paint that PGY is the color code for "Matte Grey". So that seemed like a good candidate. But does anyone know what color is when you order WITHOUT PGY on the end? I'm wondering if it's black, aluminum or something else. I'd hate to order Matte Grey and then find out that what I really wanted was black.

And if anyone knows of any structural differences under the roof to prevent me from adding roof rails to an SE, please let me know.

Thanks!!
David

(first post)

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Dave, why not just go to your Hyundai Parts store and ask them for the part numbers that will match. I think it might be much simpler for you.

Mahalo and Welcome!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at this picture from abjbrkt's link, I don't think I can add rails to my SE that easily. I wouldn't have those brackets with the studs that he cut off when her removed his rails.
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/attachments/kona-forum/419853d1545878978-limited-roof-rail-removal-20181226_201537.jpg

I can buy them it looks like. Here are ones for a Tuscon. But then I'd have to use a spot welder I'm assuming. And then get them in just the right position. Too many things to go wrong including damage to the surrounding paint from a spot weld.
https://www.oempartsquick.com/oem-parts/hyundai-roof-rail-rear-bracket-67363d3000?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr9TAkMfz3wIVho7ICh2uKAJ7EAQYDyABEgJ5XfD_BwE

Thanks anyway!

P.S.
The goal is to carry a matching 17' 4" Sea Kayak (Fiberglass/Kevlar). I can do it on my '67 Camaro no problem with a couple of foam blocks made for car-toping a kayak, plus rope at several angles. Just not as easy on a Kona that is 20" shorter. And I can't run rope through the front window frames and still open the doors. And places I go are not very accomodating for a trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. Thank you cmllr! It would give me a little more clearance aroudn the antenna too. They make the foam blocks for kayaks that can be used over crossbars.

And I'm thinking the rear hatches hinges would be a strong place I could secure straps to. Might even be able to use straps at the front doors if I pass through between the door and the body instead of running ropes through the windows. Still need to look under the car for places under the bumpers to tie something to is all. Need to triangle going out to the front and rear of the kayak for it to be secure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in the Philippines you can purchase from the dealer and have the ones built for the Kona. For 26,000 pesos or about $514.00 at the current exchange rate. (Pricey)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I see you have rails mounted in the roof channels. What are they, where did you get them, and how are they mounted. I have a 2019 Kona EV Ultimate and my local Hyundai dealer has been no help.

Looks like it is a Thule setup with square bars (they have aero bars as well) - you need bars, podium foot pack, and the 4089 fit kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with Yakima Baseline on my 2019 SE. I pieced the parts through eBay, Amazon, etc, to keep costs down. The wind fairing helps a lot to reduce wind noise. Through Yakima, all in cost is about $550.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1602989928173.png Baseline Towers (Set of Four)
BaseClip 175 (B85-4)
BaseClip 131 (B62-5)

I went with the 50" Core Bars

I just kept hitting Amazon, REI, eBay, Craigslist, LetGo, etc. and just pieced it all together. Saved about $200 vs the $550 cost from Yakima (when everything is in stock). Savings by signing up for REI's email list, using Rakuten browser add-on to get cash back, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
View attachment 4702 Baseline Towers (Set of Four)
BaseClip 175 (B85-4)
BaseClip 131 (B62-5)

View attachment 4703 I went with the 50" Core Bars

I just kept hitting Amazon, REI, eBay, Craigslist, LetGo, etc. and just pieced it all together. Saved about $200 vs the $550 cost from Yakima (when everything is in stock). Savings by signing up for REI's email list, using Rakuten browser add-on to get cash back, etc.
Also, If you go to the Yakima website, put in your make/ model, it walks you through it all, and can give you a parts list. You can also download the instructions, which is helpful b/c if you buy off eBay, etc., the instructions aren't often included.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts