Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lockdown has got to be good for something right!

Spent quite some time deciding where to put the stripes and what type etc but settled on this side strip in the end. I also added a stripe to the front lip, on the edge of the light silver trim below the fog lights. I used a speciality plastic model paint in my air brush and I was very happy with the result but the paint flaked very easily so I removed the front stripe.

Even though I prepared the surfaces by thoroughly cleaning the areas to be sprayed with GP thinner to remove any dirt, wax, polish etc the paint didn't adhere to the trim very well.

You are supposed to prepare the area to be sprayed by first scuffing it up with a fine grit paper. Given that so much of the trim will not be covered by the stripes I was somewhat reluctant to do that. Further, my past experience has been that often the oem silver top coat is very thin and even with very cautious sanding, the black plastic trim material can be exposed. Not desirable!

Not sure what to do now to preserve the integrity of the side stripes. I'm considering two options: obtaining some clear adhesion promoter that I'll spray the entire side trim piece with and then follow up with a clear coat; or just sprayng the trim piece with clear coat. In theory, the first option seems my best choice but TBH, I'm not sure that a 'clear adhesion promoter' product even exists. One of the many downsides of lockdown is that all of the spray paint suppliers are closed so no assistance available there. There is a third option of course, pick it all off and start all over again, assuming that a clear adhesion promoter actually exists. Forth option: peel it off and forget the whole dam thing!

In any case, I'm happy to receive and advice you folks may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
That looks great, but I don’t think I have any helpful hints for you to preserve your work. I think you are on the right track with the adhesion promoter and clear coat. Maybe also look into gel coats. they are more for fiberglass applications, but might work for the side skirt plastic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your response. I have concerns about the clear coat. You see so many cases, particularly on older cars where the clear has cracked and delaminated. 70s and 80s Volvos were particularly bad. Maybe that was back in the bad old days tho. Time will tell I guess!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stripes Mk II

I ended up removing my first attempt at these stripes. The ease with which I was able to remove them justified my decision.

The second and hopefully final version ended up being quite the process: light sand; mask up, thorough clean; spray clear adhesion promoter; final mask up; spray white base coat; spray red top coat; and finally spray clear coat. Regardless, I'm much happier with the end result.

The job took several hours but Interestingly only 30ml of each of the white base and the red top coat (3 coats of each) when applied with an air brush.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts