Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd test drive both but you may feel more comfortable in the SE AWD model. No turbo or DCT which sometimes requires getting used to. Enjoy !!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi guys, for the turbo model, I don't know anything about turbo, how do I use it? does it kick in automatically when the car reaches a certain speed or RPM? or is it always on? googling this only gives me how it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just step on it and you will hear and feel the turbo winding. If you drive slow and barely press the pedal the turbo won't do much and you can save on gas, but if you want to feel that boost don't be afraid to floor it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried this reset procedure? Did it solve the "hesitation" problem, at least for a while?

Thanks!

Pull a cable off of the battery and wait 15 mins. Now you cleared your bad learned dual clutch driving style that was being saved into memory. NOW, put it in sport mode and always put it in sport mode for the next 2 weeks and be a little more aggressive in driving it. Then get back to us on how it is working out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I first got mine (2018 turbo) I felt a lot of hesitation when taking off after stops. Judders and everything. After a month of driving it had no issues and acceleration after stop is instant and quick - to the point I often have idiots next to me trying to race. 2 years later and all is still good and very dependable. This is even when others drive the car.

I don't know if this is a case of me adapting my driving or the transmission learning, or a combination of both.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
hi guys, for the turbo model, I don't know anything about turbo, how do I use it? does it kick in automatically when the car reaches a certain speed or RPM? or is it always on? googling this only gives me how it works.
there is nothing to know.. just drive it.. Some precautions will make it perform better and last longer.. but basically.. you drive it , it’s seamless

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
When I first got mine (2018 turbo) I felt a lot of hesitation when taking off after stops. Judders and everything. After a month of driving it had no issues and acceleration after stop is instant and quick - to the point I often have idiots next to me trying to race. 2 years later and all is still good and very dependable. This is even when others drive the car.

I don't know if this is a case of me adapting my driving or the transmission learning, or a combination of both.
Agreed ! It drives and feels different than cars with a normal transmission.. those who have experience with a manual transmission will feel right at home.. I have no Complaints other than my Front tires are wearing quicker due to FWD and instant low end tq.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same here, 1 month and 800 miles. But mine hesitates sometimes still, but am pleasantly surprised when she does take off quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Robert! Yeah...that was my big complaint when I test drove one and after I brought mine home. You can cut the lag about in half with the following-
(copied from My Garage page)
1.6L Turbo (Gamma engine)
*K&N drop-in air filter- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU394WL
*Hot-side turbo resonator delete mod- 1.6T Intercooler Resonator Delete Pipe
*Upgraded lower engine mount bushing- Custom rear Motor mount insert for 2011-2017 Hyundai Veloster PERFORMANCE 65A | eBay
(Do note that the delete mod can void your engine warranty)

These three not only cut most of the lag, but put a manly growl into it when you stomp on the gas. 😁

When you have time, read trough the thread: What did you do to you Hyundai Kona today? There is a LOT of discussions on modding the Kona.
What did you do to your Hyundai Kona today?
will any of these items void warranty? cause I just started leasing a 2020 Ultimate and for the next 3 years I want her at her full potential without voiding anything lol. are these easy to install?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
No, Hyundai has seemed to look the other way on the resonator delete on all the research I have done on ALL Hyundai forms, going back years and years. I myself would never run a K&N filter other then a track day or autocross because they let in too much dirt. Trans mount can be taken off and put back on without taking the lower engine shield off. And no not a warranty issue there either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, Hyundai has seemed to look the other way on the resonator delete on all the research I have done on ALL Hyundai forms, going back years and years. I myself would never run a K&N filter other then a track day or autocross because they let in too much dirt. Trans mount can be taken off and put back on without taking the lower engine shield off. And no not a warranty issue there either.
not sure if you were quoting me.... so does that mean I can install little stuff like cold air intake/short ram intakes and that 'hot-side turbo resonator delete' without the dealership bothering me? as long as its stock when I return it at the end of my lease?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The items you are talking about I don't see as a warranty issue. Just a heads up the cold air intake may reduce HP and torque, because the OEM tune can sense the mod. I put on Velostor R Spec airbox and lost power/low end torque and really did not gain anything in mid or top end. I went back to the stock airbox to regain my low end power. You need a ECU tune to get gains. See video.

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
ot sure if you were quoting me.... so does that mean I can install little stuff like cold air intake/short ram intakes and that 'hot-side turbo resonator delete' without the dealership bothering me? as long as its stock when I return it at the end of my lease?
When you return the car at the end of your lease. It has to be in its original condition (unless your contract indicated otherwise). Whatever changes you'll make, make sure they are reversible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Though it may seem like turbo lag it's actually not, the turbo is actually sized for pretty much instant low end torque at the expense of high RPM power.
What you are feeling is the torque management and drive by wire in the PCM determining how much power you are going to get, not what you are actually asking for. I miss the days of a simple cable throttle when you actually get the amount of power you ask for with your right foot...
Mine does this also. I have a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic, and a 2015 Kia Soul that both do the same thing. What I have noticed is that when pushing hard on the accelerator and then backing off again while turning and then pushing down hard again causes the momentary hesitation, and then it about takes your head off. This I was told is inherent in all electronically managed throttle vehicles, and is a momentary lapse in signal from the TPS sensor to the computer similar to when you step off the curb and then hop back in a second of indecision, and then proceed. The same principal applies. I do believe that it is dangerous though and should be addressed by all manufacturers if it is in fact happening on all vehicles. I know that on several occasions it caused my car to stop when it needed to go!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts