Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is there a distinct absence of acceleration when starting from a standing stop, then letting off the pedal tor, say, make a sharp left or right turn almost immediately, when there is a total lack of acceleration, then it comes on like gangbusters (because you have probably reacted by pressing the gas pedal even more? My 2101 Genesis 4.6L did the same thing, and a tech told me it was the gear box sensor hunting for the highest possible gear for economy. Have no idea if he really knew what he was talking about, but the same thing is happening with my Ultimate when I am in regular mode. I have also sensed the same thing in sport mode. Can this be overridden or reprogrammed to be eliminated?

One more question, is there really any difference in gas mileage between regular and sport mode in city driving?

Thanks for any information on either.

Robert Jones

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a ultimate 1.6T (since Oct)and still get a little hesitation when cold . Not as bad in sport mode but noticeable. I will be doing my first oil change soon and will talk to the dealer about it.
I think it is turbo lag but we'll see. Once warmed up all is good with no hesitation.
Most of my driving is in the city so I use sport mode and suspect it uses more gas. I am currently getting about 18mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
A couple of things can cause hesitation from what you described..
the DCT takes longer to shift if it’s not the next sequential gear, up shift or downshifting .. that mixed with some turbo lag,
Shows up as a “dead spot” in acceleration.. I’ve experienced an anomaly or two with the turbo/DCT
Setup since I’ve owned it.. but overall the system works amazing well, especially considering the
technology at play in this price range..

Is it just me, or is there a distinct absence of acceleration when starting from a standing stop, then letting off the pedal tor, say, make a sharp left or right turn almost immediately, when there is a total lack of acceleration, then it comes on like gangbusters (because you have probably reacted by pressing the gas pedal even more? My 2101 Genesis 4.6L did the same thing, and a tech told me it was the gear box sensor hunting for the highest possible gear for economy. Have no idea if he really knew what he was talking about, but the same thing is happening with my Ultimate when I am in regular mode. I have also sensed the same thing in sport mode. Can this be overridden or reprogrammed to be eliminated?

One more question, is there really any difference in gas mileage between regular and sport mode in city driving?

Robert Jones

·
Registered
238 Posts

Robert Jones
Hey Robert! Yeah...that was my big complaint when I test drove one and after I brought mine home. You can cut the lag about in half with the following-
(copied from My Garage page)
1.6L Turbo (Gamma engine)
*K&N drop-in air filter- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU394WL
*Hot-side turbo resonator delete mod- https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm
*Upgraded lower engine mount bushing- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-rear-Motor-mount-insert-for-2011-2013-Hyundai-Veloster-PERFORMANCE-65A/111036339993
(Do note that the delete mod can void your engine warranty)

These three not only cut most of the lag, but put a manly growl into it when you stomp on the gas. :grin:

When you have time, read trough the thread: What did you do to you Hyundai Kona today? There is a LOT of discussions on modding the Kona.
https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/forum/145-what-did-you-do-your-hyundai-kona-today/1050-what-did-you-do-your-hyundai-kona-today.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I did it to my wife the other day driving, I suspect it happens when I use more pedal than it's ready for and ends up dropping two gears and lurching instead of just accelerating in the same gear(drops from 4th to 2nd)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Though it may seem like turbo lag it's actually not, the turbo is actually sized for pretty much instant low end torque at the expense of high RPM power.
What you are feeling is the torque management and drive by wire in the PCM determining how much power you are going to get, not what you are actually asking for. I miss the days of a simple cable throttle when you actually get the amount of power you ask for with your right foot...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey Robert! Yeah...that was my big complaint when I test drove one and after I brought mine home. You can cut the lag about in half with the following-
(copied from My Garage page)
1.6L Turbo (Gamma engine)
*K&N drop-in air filter- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU394WL
*Hot-side turbo resonator delete mod- https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm
*Upgraded lower engine mount bushing- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-rear-Motor-mount-insert-for-2011-2013-Hyundai-Veloster-PERFORMANCE-65A/111036339993
(Do note that the delete mod can void your engine warranty)

These three not only cut most of the lag, but put a manly growl into it when you stomp on the gas. :grin:

When you have time, read trough the thread: What did you do to you Hyundai Kona today? There is a LOT of discussions on modding the Kona.
https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/forum/145-what-did-you-do-your-hyundai-kona-today/1050-what-did-you-do-your-hyundai-kona-today.html

I very highly doubt the intake resonator delete would void an engine warranty in the USA. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that says they just can't deny warranty, they have to PROVE that part created the problem. And I fail to see how having a solid straight shot tube vs a "holed up one" would make a motor blow. Very easy to get an engineer on your side on this one. 100% ZERO worries on using that part.

I have that problem too, and have done everything but the K&N filter. I will NEVER EVER run a K&N filter on any street motor after running them years ago and finding dirt all though my intake manifold. I tried 3 different types of oil, but still had the same dirty outcome. Feel free to run sand through your motor.

I just except it and also found "rolling " on the throttle works best with Hyundai turbos. The lag I see is turbo lag and trans thinking lag. While I don't like, I don't jet into traffic like I would with a naturally aspirated motor if possible. But it still happens. You pay to play and I accept it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate the info. I have a K&N filter (have always sworn by them). I realize everyone has different results with different products but I have been using K&N for Lord knows how long and can't live without them. The Hot-side turbo resonator delete mod looks like it may be the best solution; however, I am concerned about the engine warranty void. Not sure how the engine mount bushing change would affect acceleration housing but, hey, I know how to start the vehicle, change oil and check the tire pressure. But again, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The engine mount bushing will take out a little of the 'sponge' as the engine and transmission twist in their mounts at the onset of power delivery, but the biggest delays in acceleration seem to be 1) transmission 'thinking' or hunting for the right gear and 2) turbo lag. Sport mode helps a little with both as it leaves the car in a lower gear and at higher revs for faster turbo spool. If there is one particular spot in your commute where this is prone to happen and you're feeling spicy, you could try going full manual mode to prevent the transmission from hunting for a gear, but be aware that it will automatically change the gear for you if the revs go too low or too high.

Sadly, I think the best fix for this issue would be a manual transmission or traditional torque converter automatic. While I would love to have a manual, they're not offered in the states (or anywhere on the 1.6T for this car, I believe), and I'll take the drawbacks of the DCT over a torque converter automatic any day. Just one small thing to learn and adapt to with this transmission and a turbo.

Like Mania said, 'rolling' the throttle and using Sport mode in stop-and-go situations seems to be the best remedy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Though it may seem like turbo lag it's actually not, the turbo is actually sized for pretty much instant low end torque at the expense of high RPM power.
What you are feeling is the torque management and drive by wire in the PCM determining how much power you are going to get, not what you are actually asking for. I miss the days of a simple cable throttle when you actually get the amount of power you ask for with your right foot...
****, I just looked up the torque curves and you're correct.

I thought the "flat torque curve" was a generous way of saying that the power comes on early, but they literally mean flat.

This _is_ an approximation, and I feel like I do get a little bit of a push after hearing the slight whirr of the turbo hitting full spool, but I'm still guessing most of the 'lag' comes from the transmission computer deciding on a gear

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Ultimate and this is my first car with a DCT. My problem is similar to the above. No sooner does the Kona move forward and it wants to shift into 2nd. When cold there is a lag between 1st and 2nd and sometimes it will lurch between 1st and 2nd. This is a little scary when pulling out on the highway and there is this hesitation and you think you're not going to get across the intersection. The shift point between 1st and 2nd needs adjustment in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a 2019 Ultimate and this is my first car with a DCT. My problem is similar to the above. No sooner does the Kona move forward and it wants to shift into 2nd. When cold there is a lag between 1st and 2nd and sometimes it will lurch between 1st and 2nd. This is a little scary when pulling out on the highway and there is this hesitation and you think you're not going to get across the intersection. The shift point between 1st and 2nd needs adjustment in my opinion.

Pull a cable off of the battery and wait 15 mins. Now you cleared your bad learned dual clutch driving style that was being saved into memory. NOW, put it in sport mode and always put it in sport mode for the next 2 weeks and be a little more aggressive in driving it. Then get back to us on how it is working out.

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
Not seeing any of these symptoms.. I would follow @Mainia1 advice and start anew..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pull a cable off of the battery and wait 15 mins. Now you cleared your bad learned dual clutch driving style that was being saved into memory. NOW, put it in sport mode and always put it in sport mode for the next 2 weeks and be a little more aggressive in driving it. Then get back to us on how it is working out.

Funny you mention this...I just finished a lengthy survey from Hyundai Engineering. I mentioned here back in Jan that I wrote and called them several times to complain about that very transmission issue. Anyone else get these emails? "Hyundai engineers would like to obtain feedback from you regarding your Hyundai Kona."

Anyhow, it was a lengthy survey with write-in parts to explain the issues. I DO hope that I represented all of your concerns and topics, I read this forum daily so I summarized as best I could. They will most likely be contacting me in the future for more details so I will keep you all apprised as this progresses.

**What I am hoping for? A transmission software flash that resolves this issue in both Normal\Sport modes.

Any other issues that need to be addressed by engineering?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Funny you mention this...I just finished a lengthy survey from Hyundai Engineering. I mentioned here back in Jan that I wrote and called them several times to complain about that very transmission issue. Anyone else get these emails? "Hyundai engineers would like to obtain feedback from you regarding your Hyundai Kona."

Anyhow, it was a lengthy survey with write-in parts to explain the issues. I DO hope that I represented all of your concerns and topics, I read this forum daily so I summarized as best I could. They will most likely be contacting me in the future for more details so I will keep you all apprised as this progresses.

**What I am hoping for? A transmission software flash that resolves this issue in both Normal\Sport modes.

Any other issues that need to be addressed by engineering?

Do you have a link that you could copy and past that would get me into that survey? I never remember receiving one. I will right a couple of paragraphs or eight. Or an email to an engineer you obtained. PM it if you have a live email so it doesn't get spammed for being posted on a site like this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
****, I just looked up the torque curves and you're correct.

I thought the "flat torque curve" was a generous way of saying that the power comes on early, but they literally mean flat.

This _is_ an approximation, and I feel like I do get a little bit of a push after hearing the slight whirr of the turbo hitting full spool, but I'm still guessing most of the 'lag' comes from the transmission computer deciding on a gear
The reason the torque curve is so flat is because it is being limited in the calibration. I'm betting with a good calibration change (for premium fuel) you could easily pick up 30 - 40% more peak torque reliably but I'm not willing to try as this is my DD and I have too many other toys to do that stuff with...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Accelaration delay

I asked the Hyundai mechanic about the delay especially when starting from stop. I have the petrol 2.0L. He said it was the 'drive by wire' or computer interpreting what you want to do. I notice it most when at an intersection and about to enter between traffic. With a real accelerator cable the response was immediate. With the drive by wire the computer has to think for a split second and a couple of times I was nearly caught short. Now I allow just that bit of extra distance from the approaching vehicles, which means a longer wait but better than getting 't' boned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For those of you with the 1.6t dct putting it in sport mode helps a lot with the take off and shifting.
However if you don't want to drive in sport mode try this. When you are taking off from a stop immediately push the pedal to a fixed position and leave your foot there while in first gear. This will give the engine consistent throttle and allow the clutches to do there thing much smoother.

At the end of the day they are manuals so its just like when you are riding the clutch you want constant throttle and its going to be touchy once the clutches are fully engaged in first.
Trying to be super smooth with the throttle inputs doesn't seem to work that well for me. You kind of have to experiment and drive it with your right foot finding the amount of throttle inputs in certain scenarios.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For those of you with the 1.6t dct putting it in sport mode helps a lot with the take off and shifting.
However if you don't want to drive in sport mode try this. When you are taking off from a stop immediately push the pedal to a fixed position and leave your foot there while in first gear. This will give the engine consistent throttle and allow the clutches to do there thing much smoother.

At the end of the day they are manuals so its just like when you are riding the clutch you want constant throttle and its going to be touchy once the clutches are fully engaged in first.
Trying to be super smooth with the throttle inputs doesn't seem to work that well for me. You kind of have to experiment and drive it with your right foot finding the amount of throttle inputs in certain scenarios.
Exactly this. Well said, and thank you for putting it into plain English. :grin:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, I'm interested in the Kona Turbo model. how does turbo work? and they say this car has turbo lag. what does that mean? Also, I don't know anything about cars, I just know how to drive them. I just saw this video on things not to do in a turbo charged car. I didn't even know what the guy is talking about. it seems to me that I shouldn't buy a turbo charged car if I don't know how to drive it properly. what do you think?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts