Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, if there is someone who experienced the same problem with AC please let me know. When Kona EV is in P (parked) mode and AC is turned to maximum cooling (inside temperature is set to 17oC and fan speed is also maxed) with rather higher outside temperatures (above 30oC) the air leaving the vents is not cold at all. It is also possible to monitor the energy consumption by AC compressor on infotainment display and see that it is significantly reduced (does not go over 1.5 kW). After 10 minutes compressor turns off (??!) for 2 minutes regardless the fact I'm cooked inside the cabin. The compressor starts again after 2 minutes and works for next 3-4 minutes and stops again and so on. When I check the enginebay I do not see that the main AC radiator's ventilator is spinning??! It is unthinkable that, if it is devised like that, the external compressor evaporator does not have forced air circulation and instead of that it works, when car isn't moving (when it is parked but switched on or in drive mode but immobile) like the kitchen refrigerator. This is really biiiiiig engineering flaw.
Of course, when I start to drive the car AC starts to work as it should. This construction is probably the main security factor responsible for the cooling of the main battery during high power DC charging??! Hello Hyundai engineers, what about Tesla''s "Pet" mode? Or Kona EV's AC sistem is constructed for tough and heat resistant persons?!!
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
57 Posts
There is a "pet mode". Have a look here. "Dog mode"

I haven't noticed your issue in my car...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Otty, thank you for your reply. Maybe I was not precise in my post but the intention was to sarcasticly emphasize may position in the drivers seat of a costly electric car (Hyundai Kona Electric 2019., around 40000 €) in a queue on the road while the sun is melting all around with outside temperature above 35oC. One could think that such an expensive car is capable to provide to its owner cooled inside space while he is waiting in a queue but NO!!!! After few minutes of "idling" the AC compressor reduces its power (below 1.5 kW), the air leaving the outlets is not cool at all. After 10 minutes it STOPS for 2 minutes an this repeats as I mentioned in the previous post. As soon as i start moving AC compressor starts to consume more than 3.5 kW and the air leaving the outlets is cold again??!!!! This could be, as my dealer told me yesterday, "a feature not a bug". Nice feature to torture the most stupid person (me, I, myself) who thought that it is really a good thing for the enviroment to stop using fossil fuel and to buy Hyundai Kona Electric despite the fact I was able to buy two new ICE cars for the price of Kona. Certanly I have to emphasize the fact that my "big" battery has "the fault" and needs to be replaced. Of course, I was placed on a waiting list for a new battery 45 days ago and instructed not to charge above 80%!!!!
Now I can say that this "electrification" is a fraud with the exception of true electric cars manufacturers like Tesla. We, the first electric cars adopters, think that we are going to save the mankind by throwing our money on unfinished products and trying not to burn oil. At the same time I get this on youtube:
They do not give a f..k for climate change! So should we and in 10-15 years we will be witnessing the end of humans. No more nice butts and breasts😭.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
57 Posts
Worked fine for me here at up to 40c heat so not sure what you mean. Also, in the long run, tthe car will be cheaper to own than an ICE car given cheap or free charging and expensive gas prices and so much more maintenance on ICE cars...

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Hi Otty, thank you for your reply. Maybe I was not precise in my post but the intention was to sarcasticly emphasize may position in the drivers seat of a costly electric car (Hyundai Kona Electric 2019., around 40000 €) in a queue on the road while the sun is melting all around with outside temperature above 35oC. One could think that such an expensive car is capable to provide to its owner cooled inside space while he is waiting in a queue but NO!!!! After few minutes of "idling" the AC compressor reduces its power (below 1.5 kW), the air leaving the outlets is not cool at all. After 10 minutes it STOPS for 2 minutes an this repeats as I mentioned in the previous post. As soon as i start moving AC compressor starts to consume more than 3.5 kW and the air leaving the outlets is cold again??!!!! This could be, as my dealer told me yesterday, "a feature not a bug". Nice feature to torture the most stupid person (me, I, myself) who thought that it is really a good thing for the enviroment to stop using fossil fuel and to buy Hyundai Kona Electric despite the fact I was able to buy two new ICE cars for the price of Kona. Certanly I have to emphasize the fact that my "big" battery has "the fault" and needs to be replaced. Of course, I was placed on a waiting list for a new battery 45 days ago and instructed not to charge above 80%!!!!
Now I can say that this "electrification" is a fraud with the exception of true electric cars manufacturers like Tesla. We, the first electric cars adopters, think that we are going to save the mankind by throwing our money on unfinished products and trying not to burn oil. At the same time I get this on youtube:
They do not give a f..k for climate change! So should we and in 10-15 years we will be witnessing the end of humans. No more nice butts and breasts😭.
what I’ve noticed about Hyundai in general, is they don’t sweat the details.. They need to Revisit their products and fine tune them. I’m sure with the EV, they have programmed things for battery Life , not comfort..
In the ICE models, the AC blows cold and works great here in 95 degree summers all day in traffic, etc.. I wish they turned their attention to tuning the transmission shifts when casually cruising as shifts hang on and won’t upshift when they should in light traffic.. but a minor complaint overall.. The electric vehicles seem to be lacking in Pre release real world testing .. I would be upset as well with these issues and no fixes or long waits for a fix.. Seems like Hyundai rushed the EV out the door too quickly.. IMO

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
101 Posts
Two things I have noticed on hot days (gets well hot in my part of Australia 47c/ 116f is expected)
  1. I normally run in ECO mode but on a super hot day or when precooling the car I will put it back into comfort mode, that feels like a stronger level of AC
  2. I opted for the sunroof model, the lack of insulation on that part of the roof is very noticeable. I can literally feel the radian heat from outside even when the panel is closed. Sunroof great in winter but it annoys me in summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts