Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
48 Posts
The issue with the Kona is that you cant run 10+ minutes and hope to burn it out in the cold weather.

Thats most new cars
Thats why i asked about location and driving habits

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
Because i know cold engine (closed loop) may run richer and cause this especially if ambient temps are cold also.

When i ran e85 100% of the time in my other vehicles we had to make sure we drove them on higheay for atleast 10 minutes to burn the e85 out of the oil.
I live in the SE and I go out of my way to warm up the car with a bit of aggressive driving when it’s colder out.. just idling and easy driving doesn’t seem to get this engine hot enough to burn off contaminants .. I did this when I noticed some fuel smell in the oil when I checked it.. Hopefully.. this is helping some... if not, then there’s Always the warranty..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update on the oil bypassing the combustion cycle and getting into the oil issue. Went to the Hyundai dealer yesterday with ~600 miles on the oil since the last change, and with the oil level showing about 3/4 of an inch over the full mark on the dipstick, and with a really strong smell of gasoline. Dealer inspected the Kona for a couple of hours, and after consulting with Hyundai Corporate ( I had opened a ticket with Hyundai corporate on the issue) announced that they are going to replace the fuel pump, then they will "seal" the lubrication system, and then have us come back after each 500 mile increment and have them check the oil level for contamination.

My initial response was OK, so you think we're doing something to the oil on purpose, but after thinking about it for a minute realize they're just trying to isolate the possible issue(s). They expect the fuel pump will take about a week to arrive, so I'll update again after the replacement is done, and we get to the results after the first 500 miles.

For the record, we both still love this little sucker as it remains a hoot to drive, very responsive throttle, and just plain fun. Problem is we drive so few miles per year, that the 10 years power train warranty will be long gone before we hit 100,000 miles, and we just want to be sure the engine lasts well beyond our warranty expiration.

·
Administrator
662 Posts
That's the same solution my local dealer received from Hyundai. Replacing the pump will not help. Now that the weather is getting warmer. You'll probably not see any issue until winter.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The weather is changing so it will be reduced, you will soon learn even 7% fuel oil is really nothing to worry about, as it is "almost normal" in a day, in the life of a small GDI turbo in northern climates. Testing has proved there is no abnormal wear at these levels. Hyundai knows it, they are just pacifying you and looking like they are doing something. Because of the weather change it will look like the new pump did something, but really your 7% fuel in the oil will be back again as the sun will rise, with 7%+ next winter. Hopefully by then you will learn to except it is the nature of the beast.

I would just love to see a small GDI turbo engine build without CAFE standards BS and see if they could reduce the blow by with a tight engine. We still need to know that a turbo engine gets almost twice the fuel injected into it's cylinders then a non turbo GDI engine in high load scenarios and some of that added fuel will get past the rings, then add all the added boost pressure, no wonder there is fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update, the High Pressure fuel pump was replaced by the dealer on Tuesday, April 29th. No noticeable difference in how the Kona drives, but one BIG difference is that our mileage went up by ~15%. Now, it is very early to make the call that this is "real", and it wasn't a full tank on the new pump, so we'll need to have several more tanks to verify, but by the instant read of MPG, on the driver's information display, mileage is going to be up significantly.

I'm posting below the results of our last 10 fillups. I fill up at Costco only, and always fill to the same level, so there is very little "user" error in these numbers. The column headers are all "off" by one column. (The $27.09 was for an oil change where I provided the oil.)

Log Book
Display 102030 records
Search:

����������
#DateMilesGallonsMPGPriceCity %Note
225/3/20283.009.17130.861.19990%
214/18/20250.009.38226.650.95995%
203/14/20280.0010.23227.361.75990%
192/24/20300.0010.07429.782.12995%
2/19/2027.09
182/7/20266.009.39528.312.12990%
171/18/20196.007.45626.292.19990%
161/7/20264.009.82426.872.23990%
1512/7/19163.008.18619.912.19990%
1411/15/19222.006.28635.322.13995%

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes they did, just taped off the oil fill port and taped down the oil dip stick, so I can't look without breaking their seals. I'm pushing the wife to get to the first 500 mile marker ASAP so I can start to get an evaluation of the gas level in the oil, and will have them pull a sample that I can send in for evaluation, I'll wait until we get to 1,000 miles first.

It makes me think there might be a lot of bad High Pressure Fuel pumps out there in service.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
My research with oil dilution is there are light and heavy parts to the fuel and only the light part of the fuel gets burned off in the winter time, IF you drive it long enough and get it hot enough. Some of the heavy gets burned off in hot summer temps. If you have a fuel diluting engine you still gain oil level even in the hot sumer, but it is so small. Unless you are using a high NOACK Evaporation Loss rate oil, then you may loss some oil through evaporation. All the oils I run are between 6 thru 8 and some oils can get as high as 14+ NOACK Evaporation Loss. 10-30 in most brands are the lowest. That is the oil to have in hot summer, but won't work in Minnesota winters. One brands example below.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Probably final update on the excess fuel bypassing combustion and making it into the oil. We took the 2019 Limited FWD 1.6T DCT in for the oil change on 4/26/2021 with 4,229 miles on the Mobile One 5W-30 oil and filter change. It was just 3 days short of a year since the previous oil change. (I've had some medical issues which kept me from getting it back to the dealer earlier.)

Long story short, the issue was apparently solved by Hyundai with the fuel pump that was replaced a year ago, because we have a virtually perfect oil analysis this time, for the first time with this vehicle. Nothing changed except maybe the short driving trips were increased over prior useage as my wife was driving it almost exclusively for the last year.

I'd say anyone who is having excess fuel in their oil discuss the fuel pump replcement with their dealer, as it certainly fixed our concerns.

·
Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
60 Posts
I'm gonna go with Bebop on this one. I do remain hopeful though, as WE inadvertently discovered that the HP fuel pump was replaced in our Kona Ultimate at <10000Km. (I'm convinced) that originally, the fuel in the oil at that time also destroyed the CAT 2.5 hours into our ownership. As Bebop mentioned the dilution seems most prevalent in the cold months. 1/2" above full at <3000km after oil change. On top of the rise in the oil level, we're experiencing a routine (eye-burning) fume that we can only surmise is coming from under the valve cover. We have had the vehicle in for this same issue 4 times trying to isolate the fumes. Last round replaced all the injectors, which reportedly were very gummy. That last, was the Hyundai Hi-Tech Support's recommended fix. A mention here, is that the dealer changed the oil at that same time, having noticed the high oil level. Alas, to no avail, the odour is still with us. We are taking the Kona in for one last kick at the can 03/09/22 where the dealership is going to replace the HP pump again. Other than the CAT replacement, it's the only other major component that was disturbed on (before we bought) the Kona. Our thought is that something didn't seal correctly during the original pump replacement procedure. Nothing quite like putting down the windows on a cold winter day in order to breathe. As this thread is fairly old, I'd like to know how you made out with this issue now that we're back into the throws of cold winter weather again. :unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a Hyundai Tucson 2022 , 1.6 HEV - hybrid and i am facing the same issues; level of oil increased, coolant fluids are on the same level (hybrid and engine), smelling as gasoline...
Car is having 4400 KM. I assume that the phenomenon is happening under those conditions... ; We are 5-6 with hybrids models that we are facing the same issue.
Any resolution besides the one above will be welcome. I will check with dealer about fuel pump as well, on the next few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here wih my 2021 Tucson PHEV - it started having oil leaks at about 8000km. The dealer changed the oil and oil filter at ~10.000km. After another 1000km the oil level is more than 2cm higher than the MAX oil level mark. A very disappointing experience so far. Is there anything that can be done?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts