Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got back our second oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and it showed that after 3,931 miles on the oil, over ~9 months, we have 7.3% un-burned fuel in the used oil. It was at 4.5% after the first 1,067 miles. The lab is suggesting we change every 1,000 miles to avoid driving the usable viscosity down from the 5W/30 to the 0W/20 range the last sample showed.

I contacted the dealer, and asked for their guidance, and was told contact Hyundai corporate and “open a case”. I called (and also wrote) to Hyundai corporate and was told in no uncertain terms that they will not accept an outside agency report on the oil, it must be done by a Hyundai dealer. So, I asked which dealer provided that service and was told that they have no idea. I called all the dealers with in a 25-mile radius, and basically had all of them laugh at the idea that they would have a lab in house to analyze the used oil.

So at this point, I’m going to go to 1,000 miles on this oil change, and have the dealer change the oil, and tell them it’s their responsibility to get the oil tested, and I will also send in another sample from the same oil change to Blackstone Labs for a third analysis.

I have zero issues with this vehicle, and how it runs and drives, but the amount of fuel in the oil is of a lot of concern. It’s too bad that Hyundai does such a crappy job of customer service. Otherwise, I think the product is excellent.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The comment that Hyundai will not except anyones oil analysis is because they have no way to know if someone tampered with the oil because they are freaked out they have say 3.0% fuel in the oil, which is nothing to worry about. Hyundai is protecting itself from people adding more fuel so Hyundai will fix it, and they never would since 3.0% is better then most Kona turbos do on a regular basis. #1 issue is Blackstone can't read accurate fuel percentage readings. They can read viscosity and yes you have a bad problem. What brand oil and formula are you using?

With my issue I go from a virgin Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP at 11.8 @100C and go down to a 8.0 at 100C at 3,000 miles in winter. Just under a 4 point viscosity drop. The minimum viscosity I want to see in the winter is 8.0 @100C. During the summer with the same oil I hold 9.0 @100C. Which is my summer minimum max I want to go in the summer. Mobil 1 ESP is on the heavy side viscosity wise for a 5w-30. I bet your our oil I bet starts out at around 9.8 to 10.2 @ 100C.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both oil samples were the "factory" fill product. On the last change, I provided the Mobile One 5W/30 for them to use.

We're trying to get to another 1,000 miles as quickly as we can, but we just don't drive that much, and now with all the Virus crap, it's going to be even less since there's no where open....

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Both oil samples were the "factory" fill product. On the last change, I provided the Mobile One 5W/30 for them to use.

We're trying to get to another 1,000 miles as quickly as we can, but we just don't drive that much, and now with all the Virus crap, it's going to be even less since there's no where open....
is this cold weather tests ? normal driving ? Concerning indeed..

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts

It is the nature of some small turbo. The most they will do is to replace the fuel pump and that's is not a solution. Some people just live with it and change the oil more often in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
It is the nature of some small turbo. The most they will do is to replace the fuel pump and that's is not a solution. Some people just live with it and change the oil more often in the winter.
that and some load/rpms to “burn off” those contaminants. it seems necessary to push this engine some to get it hot enough.. hard to do, especially in cold conditions, traffic, etc..

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
The comment that Hyundai will not except anyones oil analysis is because they have no way to know if someone tampered with the oil because they are freaked out they have say 3.0% fuel in the oil, which is nothing to worry about. Hyundai is protecting itself from people adding more fuel so Hyundai will fix it, and they never would since 3.0% is better then most Kona turbos do on a regular basis. #1 issue is Blackstone can't read accurate fuel percentage readings. They can read viscosity and yes you have a bad problem. What brand oil and formula are you using?

With my issue I go from a virgin Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP at 11.8 @100C and go down to a 8.0 at 100C at 3,000 miles in winter. Just under a 4 point viscosity drop. The minimum viscosity I want to see in the winter is 8.0 @100C. During the summer with the same oil I hold 9.0 @100C. Which is my summer minimum max I want to go in the summer. Mobil 1 ESP is on the heavy side viscosity wise for a 5w-30. I bet your our oil I bet starts out at around 9.8 to 10.2 @ 100C.

I too read somewhere that their fuel dilution detection/calculation method was incorrect..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some questions if you please. Is the oil dilution limited to the 1.6 turbo engine? is this similar to honda's problem with the earthdreams (or similar name) problem. Is it just a design flaw or inherent part of how the engine works? having fuel in the oil sounds like it could be combustible? is there a fire risk? I'd heard about this before but i was wondering how you discovered it. check the oil level and it is higher than normal? thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Some questions if you please. Is the oil dilution limited to the 1.6 turbo engine? is this similar to honda's problem with the earthdreams (or similar name) problem. Is it just a design flaw or inherent part of how the engine works? having fuel in the oil sounds like it could be combustible? is there a fire risk? I'd heard about this before but i was wondering how you discovered it. check the oil level and it is higher than normal? thanks!

Yes, the exact same problem as the Honda 1.5T Dreamworks engine and like me, I have close to the same fuel to oil percentages. All small GDI turbos have the problem, it is just at what level. There are not as many Hyundai owners doing oil analysis like Honda owners, and obviously more Honda owners freaking out and became more of a squeaky wheel then Hyundai owners. Mine was/is as bad as the Honda problem, but through testing and watching wear ppm, I found out I don't have a wear issue. Then there is no need to worry about it. In fact I have a test that should of been done yesterday, but "the virus" has slowed Polaris Labs testing down, I can only assume.

All GDI engines have it, GDI turbos have it worse. While you could run Mobil 1 Extended oil for 15,000 miles in a port injected motor that drove all city miles in Minneapolis winters, I would not do that with a non turbo GDI motor for more then 7,500 miles and only 3,500 miles in a small GDI turbo motor.

I knew about the problem before I bought my Kona turbo. I had a small hobby Audi repair shop years ago, so I knew what I was getting into. In fact I bought a 10 pack of oil test kits to monitor it when I bought the car. The problem would be less if we did not have CAFE standards to meet, we could run a stronger piston ring tension setup, and tighter piston to cylinder wall setup to stop excessive blow by that washes fuel around the pistons into the oil. Because of GDI injector location and blasting fuel directly into the cylinder we would still have fuel dilution, but maybe not to the degree we have now. Then add extra fuel to reduce/stop LSPI and piston/cylinder head chamber cooling to the mix. Nature of the beast. STILL we don't have any abnormal wear, but that's my motor that was tested multiple times. Honda hasn't fixed it and Hyundai hasn't fixed it. They can't, so if you don't have any wear ..........there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I wouldn't say all. My Mazda doesn't have such an issue. I don't know if their turbo version has it?
Having it means even 1-2% fuel dilution which is nothing, 3% is basically nothing to even talk about. That is where non turbo GDIs hover in percentage wise from what I have seen. Can I assume you have a 2.5 SkyActiv, they have the issue too.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
I drive the same way with the Kona and Mazda. The gas in oil for the Kona I can see and smell. The oil situation with the Mazda is the same as my 05 Accord. I supposed if I did and oil analysis. There will be a trace of gas in both my accord and CX-5. Oil analysis always indicates less 2-3% is acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
I wouldn't say all. My Mazda doesn't have such an issue. I don't know if their turbo version has it?
The FRS I had , had GDI and port fuel injection systems.. So it didn’t have the negative issues of just GDI.. My 08 335 just has GDI and 85K+ miles and the only thing that isn’t wrong with it is the engine.. So I have learned not to worry too much about all the details along the way.. as these manufactures seem to know a thing or two about these cars and GDI And how to make it last

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sent a sample of my oil to Blackstone Laboratories on March 23rd got the results back today. This is what they had to say.

JAMES: We can confirm that fuel is getting into the oil because the sample's flashpoint is too low. The flashpoint is the temp when the vapors ignite, and it gets brought down when there's a volatile substance like a fuel present. We noted 2.8% fuel, which is more than generally seen from normal use. The viscosity is a little low, probably due to the fuel. Metals are in fine shape though, as these numbers are as good as could be expected for a young engine where lingering wear-in is a factor. If you notice a rising oil level, that might be something to talk to the dealer about.

I

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
14 Posts
I sent a sample of my oil to Blackstone Laboratories on March 23rd got the results back today. This is what they had to say.

JAMES: We can confirm that fuel is getting into the oil because the sample's flashpoint is too low. The flashpoint is the temp when the vapors ignite, and it gets brought down when there's a volatile substance like a fuel present. We noted 2.8% fuel, which is more than generally seen from normal use. The viscosity is a little low, probably due to the fuel. Metals are in fine shape though, as these numbers are as good as could be expected for a young engine where lingering wear-in is a factor. If you notice a rising oil level, that might be something to talk to the dealer about.

I
Where are you located? Just the state im curious for temperature reasons.

Do you commute everyday? Etc

Is anyone pursuing this with Hyundai? The ownere manual tell you to check oil quite often during the first 5k miles. So is anyone telling them... "hey my oil and dipstick smells like fuel" to force them to do an analysis

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Hamilton Montana. Retired and do not commute every day. I was showing an increase in my oil level on my dipstick for awhile but since my last oil change it seems to be getting better (reads normal) I don't trust the dealer, I will keep a close eye on the situation

·
Registered
2021 Kia Seltos SX-T
14 Posts
I live in Hamilton Montana. Retired and do not commute every day. I was showing an increase in my oil level on my dipstick for awhile but since my last oil change it seems to be getting better (reads normal) I don't trust the dealer, I will keep a close eye on the situation
Because i know cold engine (closed loop) may run richer and cause this especially if ambient temps are cold also.

When i ran e85 100% of the time in my other vehicles we had to make sure we drove them on higheay for atleast 10 minutes to burn the e85 out of the oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts