Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I am quite newby with my Hyundai, so i would be happy if someone could advise on what can I change / modify on my Kona and still not loosing the manufacturer guarantee.

I am located in Hungary (Europe).

In my head i would be happy to put on some mud protector, connect dashcam into an empty fuse, lead the wire under the hood, etc.

Any experience and advise is welcomed!

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
Hi

I am quite newby with my Hyundai, so i would be happy if someone could advise on what can I change / modify on my Kona and still not loosing the manufacturer guarantee.

In my head i would be happy to put on some mud protector, connect dashcam into an empty fuse, lead the wire under the hood, etc.

Any experience and advise is welcomed!
Where are you located, as that determines what you can do legally without too much grief from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to that...
I am located in Hungary (Europe)
Ok, For your area, someone else needs to chime in. Im in the United States, and we have a federal act to protect us from most of the bs a car company can void a warranty for.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
Out of curiosity, what are the rules in the US?
We have the Magnuson-moss Act. Which allows modification as long as a modification is not responsible for the damage in which the vehicle is in need of warranty work. The dealership has to prove it. So lowering your vehicle does not void the manufacturers warranty for an engine issue. Also say you did decide to lower the vehicle, the warranty would only be void on the parts associated with the lowering kit, such as the springs, shocks, struts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have the Magnuson-moss Act. Which allows modification as long as a modification is not responsible for the damage in which the vehicle is in need of warranty work. The dealership has to prove it. So lowering your vehicle does not void the manufacturers warranty for an engine issue. Also say you did decide to lower the vehicle, the warranty would only be void on the parts associated with the lowering kit, such as the springs, shocks, struts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
thank you for the detailed answer. To be honest i doubt we have something like this, but we should. It sounds really reasonable and fair!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
We have the Magnuson-moss Act. Which allows modification as long as a modification is not responsible for the damage in which the vehicle is in need of warranty work. The dealership has to prove it. So lowering your vehicle does not void the manufacturers warranty for an engine issue. Also say you did decide to lower the vehicle, the warranty would only be void on the parts associated with the lowering kit, such as the springs, shocks, struts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

And CV joints.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
thank you for the detailed answer. To be honest i doubt we have something like this, but we should. It sounds really reasonable and fair!
It's more fair sounding on paper than it is in reality.. The dealer kind of has final say.. They also have lawyers who have full time jobs with the company.. So if its your word against theirs, then you are most likely outgunned.
I've had friends that were refused service because of mods that technically should have been legal, but parts affected downstream of the mod were voided because of conditions caused by mods, according to them.. it can get complicated and expensive if you have to fight it..
I had a good relationship with my dealer when I was in my muscle car days. I bent a driveshaft at test N' tune night at a local track. Took it to the dealer and they warranted it and gave me an upgraded lighter/stronger one.. Was a customer for many years..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts