Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nexen tires on my kona are not the best I was looking at continental tires. Would it hurt anything to switch from the 60r16 to the 55r16 ? I know all it is is the tire wall size but don’t know if that will affect anything other than ride quality which I will gladly sacrifice for grip. Anyone with any help would be awesome ty

·
Registered
534 Posts
Differance in side wall between the 205/60 and 205/55 is only 0.3 inches. Ride will be barely stiffer, no effect other then car will be 0.3" lower.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Nexen tires on my kona are not the best I was looking at continental tires. Would it hurt anything to switch from the 60r16 to the 55r16 ? I know all it is is the tire wall size but don’t know if that will affect anything other than ride quality which I will gladly sacrifice for grip. Anyone with any help would be awesome ty
what's wrong with the Nexen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's wrong with the Nexen?
I’m guessing they are just too hard of a rubber compound? I’m not quite sure but they don’t grip worth a **** if I’m briskly accelerating or if I’m in the rain 😕 was looking at Continental extreme contact dws to replace them with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
should go with 215/55r16
205/55r16 too much of a diff in the scrub radius and speedometer
try tire-calc.com to compare, and wheel-size.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would stick with the same tire size it came with. Not only speedometer issues, but just general handling changes (stuff like Scrub Radius mentioned above and other geometry issues).

As far as a replacement, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Something with great wet traction, an "all season" tire, a performance (dry) tire?

I think that the tires that come on the car are just basic. You can definitely upgrade to something quieter and better wet traction. Maybe even get a cool tread pattern !!! ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts