Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the Driving.ca website with the engine configurations for the Kona N.

"The Kona N will be powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with two different power outputs. The base model will produce 246 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque; while the Performance-Package-equipped model will feature 276 horsepower and 289 lb-ft of torque. Both versions of the engine can be paired to either an eight-speed automatic, or a six-speed manual transmission".

·
Registered
61 Posts
So better power numbers than the current WRX, probably a bit heavier (2020 1.6T AWD is ~3300 lbs) than the WRX, and with a proper transmission when looking at the automatics as the Subaru automatic is a CVT. Here is to hoping the price isn't sky high especially given that the Kona isn't much bigger than most hatchbacks.

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
Will the Kona N be AWD only ? Otherwise, how are they expecting FWD to put the power down without a limited slip diff.. or will they muck it up with torque management ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Will the Kona N be AWD only ? Otherwise, how are they expecting FWD to put the power down without a limited slip diff.. or will they muck it up with torque management ?
I highly doubt they will even make FWD an option. Seems like a waste of a sport crossover.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I don't even think the N will be available in FWD, most likely AWD. It also did not state whether it would be a DCT (dry or wet). We'll have to wait for more details I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
I highly doubt they will even make FWD an option. Seems like a waste of a sport crossover.
If I were to do it over, I would go with the AWD version. I don’t really need AWD other than for wanting to put the power down “evenly”. it’s embarrassing sometimes just taking off in a bit of a hurry and squealing through an intersection without really going fast.. yet there’s less weight, complexity, maintenance and cost with fwd.
Now if I could get a RWD version with a manual.. I’d be all over it..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I agree. I don't even think the N will be available in FWD, most likely AWD. It also did not state whether it would be a DCT (dry or wet). We'll have to wait for more details I suppose.
Very high chance AWD and I know it will have the wet clutch.That part is known.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I should of waited a year or two and I could of got the new face lifted Kona N!
I don’t need a fast car anymore right?! Lol
This looks so tempting , imagine the new “smart stream” 2.0 liter turbo and the AWD of the Kona, I hope they offer a manual or the wet 8 speed DCT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I were to do it over, I would go with the AWD version. I don’t really need AWD other than for wanting to put the power down “evenly”. it’s embarrassing sometimes just taking off in a bit of a hurry and squealing through an intersection without really going fast.. yet there’s less weight, complexity, maintenance and cost with fwd.
Now if I could get a RWD version with a manual.. I’d be all over it..
Well, a couple of weeks ago I went to jump into traffic and ended up doing an AWD "burnout" due to the wet leaves on the ground. Loud enough where people stopped and glared...haha. While it was a bit embarrassing...it was also amusing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, a couple of weeks ago I went to jump into traffic and ended up doing an AWD "burnout" due to the wet leaves on the ground. Loud enough where people stopped and glared...haha. While it was a bit embarrassing...it was also amusing.
Heh, if you liked that, you would love the snow! I was fortunate this week to have fresh powder in the mountains, and a wide open parking lot to do hands-free donuts! The Kona has a short wheel base so it can do tight drifts in the snow and on ice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can’t wait for our first snow here or a trip up into the mountains. Did you disable traction and stability control to drift in the snow?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I can’t wait for our first snow here or a trip up into the mountains. Did you disable traction and stability control to drift in the snow?
Hyundai doesn't let you fully disable stability control as you will soon find out. It still lets you play around a fair amount.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, stab and trac off, and AWD lock. Not sure if the AWD lock is doing much, but it can't hurt when launching it. Easier to drift on all seasons, but much safer with winter tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hyundai doesn't let you fully disable stability control as you will soon find out. It still lets you play around a fair amount.
Can you elaborate? I press and hold traction control and there is zero assistance or feedback from the vehicle. It feels the exact same as an sti I drove, and literally every other car I have driven for 17 years, which is many.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hyundai still has stability control 1/4 engaged when you disable traction control and stability control. You can't fully disable it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hyundai still has stability control 1/4 engaged when you disable traction control and stability control. You can't fully disable it.
Interesting, must be a USDM thing because there is 0 feedback at all in my Kona while drifting, sliding, or doing donuts. No mention of partial control in the manual either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts