Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you end up ordering and installing? Have a 2022 N Line, as well. It really needs mud guards, as I have been looking. I’m like you, I like the aesthetic of the factory guards. Rally Armor look way to big.
Hi Clifh, yes I did. I actually asked the dealer to include them along with the vehicle when it came in (from factory order). And I asked them NOT to install them, hence the discounted price. Now the fact that the idiot mechanics didn't get the memo and installed them anyways and then took them off prior to vehicle pickup, is a whole other topic. lol. At least I still got the discount. But obviously wasn't happy to have mechanics that can't even read instructions touching the new car, and they even forgot to put the panel screws back. Anyways...

I am very happy with them. I do agree as others have said, that they don't do much to stop the spray, but fitment is perfect and I like the discreet look. Which is exactly what I wanted. I personally really don't like the flat flap look situation with the Rally Guards. Looks like something I cut myself from a piece of rubber and put on. On the flip side, I don't like the bare look without anything either. So for me, they are perfect. And even the tiniest bit of added protection around the side skirts is a bonus.

Here's some pics, along with one next to my own (Kona is my wife's) vastly superior 2019 Civic Hatchback. Haha 😆 😜

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Clifh, yes I did. I actually asked the dealer to include them along with the vehicle when it came in (from factory order). And I asked them NOT to install them, hence the discounted price. Now the fact that the idiot mechanics didn't get the memo and installed them anyways and then took them off prior to vehicle pickup, is a whole other topic. lol. At least I still got the discount. But obviously wasn't happy to have mechanics that can't even read instructions touching the new car, and they even forgot to put the panel screws back. Anyways...

I am very happy with them. I do agree as others have said, that they don't do much to stop the spray, but fitment is perfect and I like the discreet look. Which is exactly what I wanted. I personally really don't like the flat flap look situation with the Rally Guards. Looks like something I cut myself from a piece of rubber and put on. On the flip side, I don't like the bare look without anything either. So for me, they are perfect. And even the tiniest bit of added protection around the side skirts is a bonus.

Here's some pics, along with one next to my own (Kona is my wife's) vastly superior 2019 Civic Hatchback. Haha 😆 😜

View attachment 7508

View attachment 7509

View attachment 7510
Thanks for sharing the photos! Mine is white too 👍🏻. Those guards are certainly small and discreet. I like the look, but can understand the limited amount of protection. Odd about the mechanics installing yours, even though you asked them not too 😐. “Vastly superior” is certainly debatable, ha. The more important question here is, does the Kona or Civic get the garage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
“Vastly superior” is certainly debatable, ha. The more important question here is, does the Kona or Civic get the garage?
Haha, ya, of course I was just kidding. Would've bought another Civic if I truly thought that. For my wife, the Kona is much better being a small SUV, with DCT and AWD. And it has A LOT more equipment, being the Ultimate(Tech) package too, even though mine is also a top trim. Mind you mine is a previous gen (2019).

Here is why, for myself, I would not trade my Civic for it:
  • Manual. Being a manual driver and my Civic being one, it feels vastly better drive for me. The response when in a lower gear for overtaking is instantaneous. The Kona on the other hand can be very delayed. I found even in Manual mode, going to a lower gear, when stepping on it, it seems slower to respond. And by nature, less engaging.
  • Power/Speed. Although the Kona will probably smoke me off the line with the fast shifting DCT, and power feeling close, the more speed you pick up, the more my Civic feels faster. Especially at highway speeds. Not sure why that is. But to me this maters more. I need a faster and more nimble car when I'm making maneuvers at speed. I don't need a car to race people from a light. This again, adds to the driving experience for me.
  • Way more space. This is self explanatory. Civic has more space in every way possible. More interior space, more cargo space, more headroom (I'm 6'4), etc.
  • Way better on fuel. I regularly average close to 5L/100km in my Civic, driving to work, which is insane. My wife typically gets around 7.5-8L/100km in the Kona. And even on long road trips of constant highway speeds of 100km/h, best I've seen with the Kona is around 6L/100km. Although I do use exclusively premium in my Civic, so there's that.
  • More premium interior materials. As many car reviews point this out, this is where Hyundai cuts cost, and it is true. Although the Kona offers a lot more tech/equipment, the dash and doors feel a lot cheaper in comparison. And many would say that the new Hondas are even more premium than my generation.

Those are the key points, which again, matter a lot to me. Having said that, I could come up with an even longer list as to why the Kona is better than my Civic, and to some people, like my wife, those things probably matter more than the things I mentioned above.

Oh... and they share the garage equally as we value them equally too. 😁 Only reason they are both out right now is cause we're temporarily storing my brother-in-law's totally junk M235i. :ROFLMAO: (I genuinely hate German cars for the money pits they are. I don't care how "nice" they can be.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha, ya, of course I was just kidding. Would've bought another Civic if I truly thought that. For my wife, the Kona is much better being a small SUV, with DCT and AWD. And it has A LOT more equipment, being the Ultimate(Tech) package too, even though mine is also a top trim. Mind you mine is a previous gen (2019).

Here is why, for myself, I would not trade my Civic for it:
  • Manual. Being a manual driver and my Civic being one, it feels vastly better drive for me. The response when in a lower gear for overtaking is instantaneous. The Kona on the other hand can be very delayed. I found even in Manual mode, going to a lower gear, when stepping on it, it seems slower to respond. And by nature, less engaging.
  • Power/Speed. Although the Kona will probably smoke me off the line with the fast shifting DCT, and power feeling close, the more speed you pick up, the more my Civic feels faster. Especially at highway speeds. Not sure why that is. But to me this maters more. I need a faster and more nimble car when I'm making maneuvers at speed. I don't need a car to race people from a light. This again, adds to the driving experience for me.
  • Way more space. This is self explanatory. Civic has more space in every way possible. More interior space, more cargo space, more headroom (I'm 6'4), etc.
  • Way better on fuel. I regularly average close to 5L/100km in my Civic, driving to work, which is insane. My wife typically gets around 7.5-8L/100km in the Kona. And even on long road trips of constant highway speeds of 100km/h, best I've seen with the Kona is around 6L/100km. Although I do use exclusively premium in my Civic, so there's that.
  • More premium interior materials. As many car reviews point this out, this is where Hyundai cuts cost, and it is true. Although the Kona offers a lot more tech/equipment, the dash and doors feel a lot cheaper in comparison. And many would say that the new Hondas are even more premium than my generation.

Those are the key points, which again, matter a lot to me. Having said that, I could come up with an even longer list as to why the Kona is better than my Civic, and to some people, like my wife, those things probably matter more than the things I mentioned above.

Oh... and they share the garage equally as we value them equally too. 😁 Only reason they are both out right now is cause we're temporarily storing my brother-in-law's totally junk M235i. :ROFLMAO: (I genuinely hate German cars for the money pits they are. I don't care how "nice" they can be.)
My daughter had a 2019 Civic EX. I liked it. Was fun to drive. Felt like I was driving a go-cart. It certainly wasn’t fast, but it was rather quick. The interior was pretty bad though. The material Honda used for the cloth seats was horrible. They also used a cloth type material on the arm rest, which was awful. Sound system was also very poor. They did use some soft touch materials, which was nice. Certainly more than the Kona. Kona has zero soft touch materials, other than the arm rest and steering wheel. I do like sitting higher in the Kona, although sitting low in the Civic was kinda fun. Definitely more space in the Civic. The trunk was huge! I’m averaging about 36mpg in the Kona, which is pretty good. I’m happy with that.
Good amount of tech in the Kona. Was driving down the interstate a few days ago and for some reason the “emergency breaking” activated. Was a random thing 😐. Scared the **** out of me. It breaks, really hard and really fast. I need to see if that’s something that can be deactivated.
Nice they both get some love and share the garage 😁.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My daughter had a 2019 Civic EX. I liked it. Was fun to drive. Felt like I was driving a go-cart. It certainly wasn’t fast, but it was rather quick. The interior was pretty bad though. The material Honda used for the cloth seats was horrible. They also used a cloth type material on the arm rest, which was awful. Sound system was also very poor. They did use some soft touch materials, which was nice. Certainly more than the Kona. Kona has zero soft touch materials, other than the arm rest and steering wheel. I do like sitting higher in the Kona, although sitting low in the Civic was kinda fun. Definitely more space in the Civic. The trunk was huge! I’m averaging about 36mpg in the Kona, which is pretty good. I’m happy with that.
Good amount of tech in the Kona. Was driving down the interstate a few days ago and for some reason the “emergency breaking” activated. Was a random thing 😐. Scared the **** out of me. It breaks, really hard and really fast. I need to see if that’s something that can be deactivated.
Nice they both get some love and share the garage 😁.
Yup, that's exactly it... The Civic feels like a go-cart, very nimble and agile feeling. And more stable being a lower ride. My wife and I both drive 90% to and from work in traffic. For me, having that nimbleness not only makes the Civic feel very easy to drive and maneuver through traffic, but even safer in those "oh ****" moments when the car does exactly what I expect it to. On the other hand, being higher off the ground, along with somewhat of a smoother ride makes the Kona more enjoyable on road trips. Hence why we always take the Kona.

In terms of interiors, I'm comparing my Touring to her N-Line Ultimate package. Both absolute top trims (before the high performance models). The seats I like a lot in both, but the Civic's front seats are a nicer design. I don't know how cloth models of the two companies would compare. But the Dash and Door panels, again specifically of the top trims, the Konda does feel and look a lot cheaper, in terms of materials and design. The Civic Touring vs lower trims does significantly improve in this area. Kona might be closer across the trims.

Sound system, I think the Kona's Harmon Kardon is better, although I did put an upgrade amp/sub in my Civic (in factory location), which improved the system 10x. And once again here, I'm comparing top specked models (best systems they offer). However, the new Civics have a MUCH better factory audio too, with it being a Bose system now. My generation had Honda's own brand of audio.

Funny you mention the "emergency breaking". My wife complained on two occasions already that the system acted funny. Once, the car broke excessively due to a car in front of her. It wasn't really an emergency situation, and she said it scared her, because it wasn't expected. This is the Front Collision Mitigation/Assist function. The second and more concerning situation, an 18-wheeler drove past her (in the lane beside) and the car veered in the opposite direction suddenly, almost taking her out of her lane. This I believe was either the Blind Spot Assist or the Lane Keeping assist, not entirely sure. Luckily she was fully paying attention at the time and fought the system to get the car back in the center of the lane. But she did have another car beside her, which she may have hit had she been distracted.
In the 3yrs of owning my Civic I've never experienced this. Worst case in mine, I get the Collision Alert flashing, which happens quite frequently actually, particularly when I drive on side roads with uneven pavement. The sensor seems to be too close to the ground and gets tripped anytime the nose points down when driving through a dip in the road.
But ya, we might have to lower the aggressiveness/sensitivity of some of the systems in her car. The Kona is A LOT more customizable in this regard actually, so that's good at least.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts