Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team - I've got a 22 Kona Limited with 12,000 miles who I've taken to the dealership for diagnostics and they've indicated a coil issue creating a backfire condition. The symptoms are for long trips, the Kona won't accelerate and will start vibrating, requiring me to pull over, shut and restart car. Has anyone experienced this?

The challenge right now is the Hyundai dealer can't determine the right coil that might be the source of the problem. I suggested swapping all the coils out and they claimed Hyundai warranty won't pay for this.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
984 Posts
Team - I've got a 22 Kona Limited with 12,000 miles who I've taken to the dealership for diagnostics and they've indicated a coil issue creating a backfire condition. The symptoms are for long trips, the Kona won't accelerate and will start vibrating, requiring me to pull over, shut and restart car. Has anyone experienced this?

The challenge right now is the Hyundai dealer can't determine the right coil that might be the source of the problem. I suggested swapping all the coils out and they claimed Hyundai warranty won't pay for this.

Edit: My original answer wasn't nice, so let me rephrase it.

The ignition coils are easy to access, and easy to swap with basic tools. Find out witch cylinder is mis-firing, locate that coil on the top of the engine, and swap it with one on the opposite side. So if cylinder 1 is the code (p0301) swap it with # 2, 3, or 4. Reset the code. Then wait till the check engine light comes back. Once the CEL comes back on, go to a local autoparts store like autozone, that can scan the code for free. Note the new code. If the coil was actually bad, the new code would be to what ever the the new location on the cylinder. So if you changed coil on cylinder 1 for cylinder 4, the new code would note P0304. showing the code location moving, confirming the ignition coil was bad. If the code doesn't change, and its still P0301 as an example, then suspect a bad spark plug.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Did your car throw an engine light, because that light is throwing a warning code.Look on your work order, did they call out the codes PO0301, PO302, PO303 PO304? Did they pull and check all sparkplugs?

So did the car throw an engine light then you had about 20% power "just" enough to keep the car going 65 mph? If that happens did you pull over, stop the car and wait 10 seconds and restart and go and the power came back? Did the engine stay lit, if it came on in the first place?

So was it true backfires BANG BANG out the rear muffler or just 20% power with weird sounding semi quiet stumble misfires coming from the engine through the firewall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the Hyundai dealership is still diagnosing the car. They're seeing misfiring codes across all four cylinders. Talked with the service manager who told me the Hyundai Techline is indicating bad fuel which soiled the four plugs and don't believe the root cause is coil related. Easy for Hyundai corporate to indicate this so they don't have to claim warranty coverage. I'm not trusting their response as I use the same fuel in my other cars with no problem, and the issue is transient (lack of acceleration) only when trying to accelerate on mountain roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts