Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
64 Posts
This is part of an article I read on the updated Kona.

The upgraded Kona N-Line receives a 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder that produces 195 horsepower, and Hyundai also modified the springs, dampers, stabilizer bars, and rear bump stop for better handling.

The Kona also has a new suite of SmartSense Active Safety Features, including Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist, Smart Cruise Control with stop and go, Leading Vehicle Departure Alert, Lane-Following Assist, Safe Exit Warning, Rear Occupant Alert, and Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with optional cyclist detection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kona N looks great on the side. Front, not sure.. I mean, grille and everything look good and sharp, but side mirrors should have the same color as the body in my opinion. If what the article mainly describing is new Kona (not N), 195hp is pretty sweet actually. I'm assuming N would get more horsepower though, as Veloster N got 275hp/265lb-ft torque.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The Kona N-Line has a 1.6T, with cosmetic and "simple and cheap" suspension upgrades. The Kona N will have a 2.0 liter and "active" computer controlled suspension and larger brakes. Both these cars are being built by Hyundai in 2021 and/or 2022 at the same time.

According to some Hyundai representatives that were over heard talking, that can't be verified (rumor). We in North America need to throw around in our heads, that there is a very slight possibility that Europe/Asia and NOT the North America will get the Kona N exclusively. With the slight possibility the Kona N-Line will be the ONLY top tier Kona available to North America. I hope not because eventually I will be in the market for a used Kona N. Just saying.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The new styling will make the car stand out a bit more, especially from the side. From some angles the current Kona looks pretty generic. So I like that change in some ways, but on the other hand I think the generic look sometimes gets you a pass, lol. Cops don't even look twice at me even when I'm actually speeding!

The other thing that is interesting is that when the Kona first came out, Hyundai said it represented the new styling direction they were going with their SUV's and that the other models would follow as they were refreshed. They did that with the Santa Fe but didn't quite go all the way with the Tucson. Now there are images of the next Tucson and it looks different than the next Kona. The basics are the same in some regards but there are definite styling differences.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Meh... Not much different.. Not crazy about the wheels .. Would welcome suspension tuning.. A limited slip would be needed if they added more power.. or even if they kept the same power! Sometimes these variants just aren’t worth the extra cost when they’re created by the marketing team..

·
Registered
221 Posts
So the new Tucson was mostly revealed the other day. One interesting thing is that they will be building a short and a longer version. The assumption on the part of auto journalists (as Hyundai didn't clarify this) is that the short version will be sold in Asia and Europe while the longer version will be sold in the North America and China. However, a lot of companies are offering two options in the "compact" class now, one at the smaller end and one at the larger end. Nissan has the Rogue and Rogue Sport, Chevy has the Equinox and Trailblazer, and Ford will soon have the Escape and Bronco Sport. I think its possible that Hyundai could offer both versions in the US market. The Kona is getting a tiny big longer in the refresh according to some reports as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts