Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to get the car to charge when you’re out in the sticks? I’m out of network coverage for Bluelink so it won’t talk to the car. I got the car plugged in but it hasn’t started charging yet. Although it’s only been 10 min. But still. Lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please check your 12 V battery if it is fully charged. I had the problem once when the car was brand new. It would not charge , it only showed red plug icon on the dash. You might want to try using a jump battery for some time if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please check your 12 V battery if it is fully charged. I had the problem once when the car was brand new. It would not charge , it only showed red plug icon on the dash. You might want to try using a jump battery for some time if that helps.
12v battery is good. Tried another anyway but no still the same issue. Atleast I do have enough range to get back into service and to a charger. Just find it odd that it seems to need to be in network coverage in order to charge.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Unless you've accidentally set a charge limit percent less than what you have already, I think you're going to have to see the dealer. I don't have the app and don't have all the issues that seems to accompany that. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
57 Posts
Has anyone tried the portable 7kw single phase charger, my car is due very soon and I am thinking of getting one of these rather than a wall box as it would be more versatile.
I thought this thread was appropriate, didn't mean to hijack it.
Output device Peripheral Product Font Ear

·
Registered
58 Posts
It would be good for travelling But not sure if it's any advantage over the Hyundai cable. I believe it will only pull 7kw if the cicuit you plug into can feed 32 amps. Most wall sockets can only feed 10-15 amps safely. I have a 32 amp feed for my wallbox in my garage and that needed 10 mm wiring from the meter box.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It seems popular in the N. American market to put the money into a portable 7.4kW unit instead of a wall box for the reasons mentioned. Clearly you'll need a 32A socket added at home. As far as the car goes it makes no difference and one of these should last just as long as a 32A wall box. I think the main advantage of a wall box is that it's less likely to walk away on its own.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks guys, the reason I'm interested is, we help the daughter out a lot and she lives about 60km away in the city. So having a 32amp outlet at both places makes it easier.
The other thing is W.A is a huge state and there is minimal charging infrastructure, so if I get the portable and make up a three phase to single phase adaptor, it will give me a lot more options. A lot of places just have the standard 5 pin 440v outlets and some caravan parks have the 32a three round pin sockets.
What was concerning me is if the portable chargers can be a bit hit and miss as to quality and if they could do any damage to the onboard charging equipment, that comes with the Kona.
By the way I get the car on the 27th, at last.:love:
Magnets at the ready.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What was concerning me is if the portable chargers can be a bit hit and miss as to quality and if they could do any damage to the onboard charging equipment, that comes with the Kona.
There's really nothing to worry about when buying from an established Australian supplier such as evse.com.au and this unit has all the features I'd expect it to have.

In the photos it appears that the AC plug is the same as the 22kW unit? Is there a 32A 1-ph receptacle used in Aus or are they always 3-ph?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The single phase is a three round pin plug, it looks similar in the photo but the pin configuration is very different, the three phase is usually a 5 pin.
Here is a 32a 250v three pin wall socket in Aust, it would require its own ccct from the switchboard obviously, but putting an outlet at both houses would be cheaper and easier than a wall mount charger. Plus I'm a sparky so not a major issue putting it in.

Clothes dryer Camera lens Font Washing machine Digital camera

1 - 17 of 17 Posts