Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just spent the last week with the new Kona N-Line and I thought you guys as owners/enthusiasts would appreciate the review most!

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my time with it :)

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just spent the last week with the new Kona N-Line and I thought you guys as owners/enthusiasts would appreciate the review most!

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my time with it :)

Cheers,
Matt
Do you mean 2022?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nice review Matt, I just checked out your Youtube channel and it is rockin with some nice group of cars. I will be going through some of your reviews as you seem to call them as you see them. Refreshing to see.

Wow, bad news that Hyundai still has the crap 7 speed DCT coding in the N-Line. I would of thought when they were testing it they would of refined it for high performance driving. A lot of Hyundai's testing is done on the track, so they can beat the crap out of it while not on public streets.

Matt, can you do us a big favor, can you test the i20 N (Never coming North America) and when testing can compare IT'S 7 speed shift coding to this Kona's N-Line 7 speed coding. It is nice to see you called out the crap coding it has. It is not the 7 speed DCT's fault, it is Hyundai's fault for not spending time refining the code and/or redesigning the clutch arm actuation solenoids. All this can be easily be fixed IF Hyundai would put effort, money, and time into it. But instead they FAIL to do so. Hyundai does so many things right and they WRECK the final product by small little stuff, trying to save $250 to $750.

Examples: The N-Line Sonota with the 2.5 liter. The car has 310 ft lbs of torque and they chose to use "Hyundai's One Wheel Wonder Drivetrain". Who is stupid enough to put 310 ft lbs of torque power into powering only one wheel. I guess Hyundai is. A simpleton LSD would cost Hyundai $250 and an eLSD would cost them $500. It would of completed the car, but they chose to wreck the car and make every reviewer complain about the "in your face" traction issues. AS THEY SHOULD COMPLAIN. They could of had a nice high performance car there, but they wrecked it over $250 to $500.

Then there is the Kona N, I am one who had money down at the dealer to get one thinking it would OF COURSE have AWD. Nope. And on top of it they LIFTED it. For what reason would you LIFT a 2WD performance car? Hyundai was stupid enough to to do that just so it could put it in an advertisement on a dirt road behind a forest wit 2WD. There was a very large group of us AWD Kona N buyers who said, sorry Hyundai not interested now after you wrecked the Kona N platform with just 2WD, also ran. All to save $750 their cost for AWD. It's not like Hyundai/Kia cars are cheaply priced anymore, they are right up there in cost with all of them.

Many people wanted a Golf R chaser, and they KILLED the female market where many women want a fast, sexy, cool little car with AWD for overall driving safety, while a small market segment, Hyundai killed that one too. Utter stupidity on Hyundai's part, AGAIN.

I digress. I PMed you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2021 in europe. They got the new facelift and N line a year early than USA i believe.
Thanks - I didn't know. I'm hoping to lease a new 2022 Limited soon. I loved driving it and was (unduly) charmed by the digital instrument cluster and 10.25 touchscreen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice review Matt, I just checked out your Youtube channel and it is rockin with some nice group of cars. I will be going through some of your reviews as you seem to call them as you see them. Refreshing to see.

Wow, bad news that Hyundai still has the crap 7 speed DCT coding in the N-Line. I would of thought when they were testing it they would of refined it for high performance driving. A lot of Hyundai's testing is done on the track, so they can beat the crap out of it while not on public streets.

Matt, can you do us a big favor, can you test the i20 N (Never coming North America) and when testing can compare IT'S 7 speed shift coding to this Kona's N-Line 7 speed coding. It is nice to see you called out the crap coding it has. It is not the 7 speed DCT's fault, it is Hyundai's fault for not spending time refining the code and/or redesigning the clutch arm actuation solenoids. All this can be easily be fixed IF Hyundai would put effort, money, and time into it. But instead they FAIL to do so. Hyundai does so many things right and they WRECK the final product by small little stuff, trying to save $250 to $750.

Examples: The N-Line Sonota with the 2.5 liter. The car has 310 ft lbs of torque and they chose to use "Hyundai's One Wheel Wonder Drivetrain". Who is stupid enough to put 310 ft lbs of torque power into powering only one wheel. I guess Hyundai is. A simpleton LSD would cost Hyundai $250 and an eLSD would cost them $500. It would of completed the car, but they chose to wreck the car and make every reviewer complain about the "in your face" traction issues. AS THEY SHOULD COMPLAIN. They could of had a nice high performance car there, but they wrecked it over $250 to $500.

Then there is the Kona N, I am one who had money down at the dealer to get one thinking it would OF COURSE have AWD. Nope. And on top of it they LIFTED it. For what reason would you LIFT a 2WD performance car? Hyundai was stupid enough to to do that just so it could put it in an advertisement on a dirt road behind a forest wit 2WD. There was a very large group of us AWD Kona N buyers who said, sorry Hyundai not interested now after you wrecked the Kona N platform with just 2WD, also ran. All to save $750 their cost for AWD. It's not like Hyundai/Kia cars are cheaply priced anymore, they are right up there in cost with all of them.

Many people wanted a Golf R chaser, and they KILLED the female market where many women want a fast, sexy, cool little car with AWD for overall driving safety, while a small market segment, Hyundai killed that one too. Utter stupidity on Hyundai's part, AGAIN.

I digress. I PMed you.

Hey, thanks for the detailed comment! When the i20 arrives it will only be 6 speed manual here in Australia (which I'm personally very happy with!). The DCT works okay in the Veloster Turbo, i30 N-Line etc, so it's weird how bad it is here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm one of those people. I was prepared to pay in the mid -to-upper $30,000 range for a Kona N with AWD. No AWD? Not interested. I don't have a Kona, but am coming from a 1.6 turbo kia soul. I'd like a bit more power, but the 3,000lb Soul with FWD is really at its limit with FWD.

I might have considered a 2022 Kona N-line AWD if a tune was available, but I don't want one of the 'piggyback tunes'. Other than that, it doesn't look like anyone is offering a true ECU tune for the 2022's right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts