Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all -
My wife purchased a 2020 Kona Ultimate about 5 weeks ago. today she was on her way on a road trip, and on the highway, suddenly, Her Moonroof exploded. No other vehicles around to kick up debris, nothing that couldave "fallen" on it. I've read that Hyundai(among other makers) had an issue and resulting class action suit regarding this a few years ago. Has anyone experienced this or heard anything about it? She will be contacting a Dealership as well as Hyundai directly tomorrow to deal with replacement, just looking for info to see what we are up against (i'm going to assume they are going to say a rock hit it and try to not cover it under her new car warranty)
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
I have read this as well.. using too thin a glass to save weight and cost.. my friends Honda back window shattered into tiny bits while he was at work.. no signs of vandalism, the dealer said it was defective glass.. more like improper thickness..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea hoping thats the case, for warranty replacement purposes. 2 different dealerships (including the one we purchased from) are refusing to even look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: apparently being covered by warranty. They have to replace the entire assembly. The service tech said that the warranty people asked if it blew out, or in (which it clearly looked like it had blown out) and that was all it took for them to cover it. He said he has seen it alot, but not on a Kona yet. So good news!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not at all. Probably high 70s at most. There was some variant in altitude so maybe some pressure issues? (Not huge by any means, was around roseburg oregon)

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
If the cars body Flexes, Would cause that to happen. Just a thought
the moonroof is small. doesn’t seem like it would be Too affected by Flexing... I would think it’s more of a heat/expansion type issue.. even if it seems cool out.. the sun heats up the darker colored glass in contrast to the ambient temp.. if the glass is under pressure or torqued somehow... it could be enough to break it.. I worked in a glazing company years ago.. glass is weird stuff and sometimes has a mind of its own do to tiny fractures that can occur during The Manufacturing cooling process.. sounds like they might have gotten one of those..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts