Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In a recent (February, 2021) Issue of Consumer's Reports, there was a recall notice for Hyundai 2012 Santa Fe's, 2011-2013 and 2016 Sonata Hybrids, and 2015 and 16 Velosters; for exactly this same engine defect. I'm guessing this recall will be expanded to other models, as well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
And the saga of the 3.5 BILLION dollar Hyundai/Kia engine issue keeps going and going and going with more robustness then the Energizer Bunny. Going into year 2021, all because of stupidity of metallurgy choice. It has been so bad and for so long, my opinion is it some form of top tier executive embezzlement scheme. It's been going on relentlessly for ten years now.

All it would take is to purchase the pistons/rings/ bearing from Mahle in Germany and the problem would be solved. THAT EASY. Someone is skimming money on this deal. It doesn't take 10 years to build a robust engine. I would have it fix in one year. A couple trips to Germany and a couple of signed contracts. Hyundai would save 3.0 billion dollars and would increase their reputation. !0 years of this same crap over and over again. It's never fixed, and EVERY time it points to a lite design, but mostly a metallurgy choice issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi-
New to the forum, with a weird engine problem.
I got my Kona in March of '20, and love it! Everything has been fine, regular service at dealer- until 2 weeks ago, when I realized that the engine was quite noisy on the way from work. No "dummy" light activation, but the distinct clatter of valves. I checked the oil after letting it sit all night at home, and it was barely touching the tip of the stick! Not what I expected for a car with just over 6k miles on it!
I immediately called the dealer and before taking it up, added 2 full qts of oil, to be safe.
They did an oil change and started an oil consumption test on the vehicle, having me drive normally and check levels each week. 1st week, and all looks good. I live in DC and drive 2 miles r/t to work, so decided to take a little drive to an antique mall in Gettysburg PA. All fine on the way up, but shortly after heading home, an "engine system failure " message appeared on the media screen, and the dummy light lit on the instrument cluster.
I pulled over immediately and used the Blue Link to contact the dealer. Drove it straight there, and it was diagnosed with a PC valve failure.
I went to dealer today to pick up the repaired vehicle, and immediately noticed a loud ticking noise coming the engine after starting up.
Went back to service writer, and he and the mechanic came out and took a listen. Left the car at dealer again, after mechanic thought the problem was caused by a "slapping piston" due to a possible defective cylinder, which could have accounted for the oil loss.
They called me later in the day to confirm that diagnosis, and tell me they were going to replace the "bottom part" (block?) of the engine.
I hope this doesn't foretell of cascading issues afterwards, but we'll have to wait and see.
In the meantime, at least they gave me a brand new Ultimate to drive, lol.
Sorry for the lengthy story, but wondering if others have had an issue like this?
Yes!Same exact thing has happened to me!I had my third oil consumption test and I have to return again this coming week.My engine has consumed a little more than a quart for each 500 miles.They agreed that it was definitely abnormal and they would be contacting the Hyundai manufacturer for a possible engine replacement.Other than this,I have been very happy with my Kona.I fully trust Hyundai and know they will take care of this the right way.Hope all has worked out for you so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi-
I got my Kona in March of '20, and love it! Everything has been fine, regular service at dealer- until 2 weeks ago, when I realized that the engine was quite noisy on the way from work. No "dummy" light activation, but the distinct clatter of valves. I checked the oil after letting it sit all night at home, and it was barely touching the tip of the stick! Not what I expected for a car with just over 6k miles on it!
I immediately called the dealer and before taking it up, added 2 full qts of oil, to be safe.
They did an oil change and started an oil consumption test on the vehicle, having me drive normally and check levels each week. 1st week, and all looks good. I live in DC and drive 2 miles r/t to work, so decided to take a little drive to an antique mall in Gettysburg PA. All fine on the way up, but shortly after heading home, an "engine system failure " message appeared on the media screen, and the dummy light lit on the instrument cluster.
I pulled over immediately and used the Blue Link to contact the dealer. Drove it straight there, and it was diagnosed with a PC valve failure.
I went to dealer today to pick up the repaired vehicle, and immediately noticed a loud ticking noise coming the engine after starting up.
Went back to service writer, and he and the mechanic came out and took a listen. Left the car at dealer again, after mechanic thought the problem was caused by a "slapping piston" due to a possible defective cylinder, which could have accounted for the oil loss.
They called me later in the day to confirm that diagnosis, and tell me they were going to replace the "bottom part" (block?) of the engine.
I hope this doesn't foretell of cascading issues afterwards, but we'll have to wait and see.
Sorry for the lengthy story, but wondering if others have had an issue like this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi-
Yeah I've had the same issue with my 2020 kona. Same result too. They are only going to replace the bottom of thd engine and keep the head. Absolute load of bullshit but apparently I have no say.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts