Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As the title suggests. Preliminary research here. Is there any possible way to retrofit the 8" infotainment system to the Limited Model that comes with the 7"er?
I wonder if it utilizes the same back-end infrastructure for the connections?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after some super light research and quick google searches, I was able to find the infotainment for non-ultimates, as well as the ultimates.

It seems the first issue to figure out when ordering an Ultimate Trim Infotainment, or ANY other infotainment to plug in to the current vehicle - we would have to figure out if there is going to be some issues with VIN mismatch, ultimately stopping certain functions from working, or even allowing the car to start?

Might be futile to even consider it, depending on how integrated the infotainment system is to the rest of the vehicle, especially when things get further complicated with Blue-link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you talking about replacing the entire head unit?

I was thinking of replacing my with a 9 or 10inch but there are so many out there I dont know which to choose.
Another example

So after some super light research and quick google searches, I was able to find the infotainment for non-ultimates, as well as the ultimates.

It seems the first issue to figure out when ordering an Ultimate Trim Infotainment, or ANY other infotainment to plug in to the current vehicle - we would have to figure out if there is going to be some issues with VIN mismatch, ultimately stopping certain functions from working, or even allowing the car to start?

Might be futile to even consider it, depending on how integrated the infotainment system is to the rest of the vehicle, especially when things get further complicated with Blue-link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello T&T,

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your thoughts on this. Basically, I would like to retain as much OEM soul as possible. So my question was in regards to retrofitting the Kona Ultimate Trim's 8" Headunit/Touch screen/ to the Limited Trim that I own. The Ultimate comes with an 8" unit that has navigation as well, I was wondering if it would be possible to get that installed on my limited. I would do the work myself.

Those two Headunits you shared above are ones that I have looked at. I love the bottom one, it looks NEAT! However, how well do these things play with the BlueLink system? Unlike some others, I actually love the functionality of BlueLink, and I use it every day.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

As the title suggests. Preliminary research here. Is there any possible way to retrofit the 8" infotainment system to the Limited Model that comes with the 7"er?
I wonder if it utilizes the same back-end infrastructure for the connections?

Thanks,
Andy
I own 2020 Kona EV comes with 10.3 screen standards noting to retrofit

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are a lot of functions integrated into the media center headunit and its amplifier. If you're going to swap out with an aftermarket system there are a great deal of adapters, interfaces, wiring harnesses and other things required to retain full functionality. I looked into it to upgrade mine to a fully android based media system and it was quite an involved and expensive process. But it is possible.

However swapping out the 7" for an 8" OEM unit shouldn't be a problem, it's just that those head units are super expensive in and of themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of functions integrated into the media center headunit and its amplifier. If you're going to swap out with an aftermarket system there are a great deal of adapters, interfaces, wiring harnesses and other things required to retain full functionality. I looked into it to upgrade mine to a fully android based media system and it was quite an involved and expensive process. But it is possible.

However swapping out the 7" for an 8" OEM unit shouldn't be a problem, it's just that those head units are super expensive in and of themselves.

Hi TwosixD,

Thanks for chiming in!

Good to have some more insight on this. My bigger concern though, was being able to keep the Blue Link connection and services. Isn't the Blue Link some how linked to the headunit itself? The modem within it?

Because if I was to retrofit the 8" from an Ultimate, wouldn't it cause all of that to have to some how be all setup again? Any ideas/thoughts/facts on this?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you talking about replacing the entire head unit?

I was thinking of replacing my with a 9 or 10inch but there are so many out there I dont know which to choose.
Another example
Hi T&T, im just wondering whether you have change your head unit? and if you did, did it interfere with any of the original system? really appreciate if you can reply since im also looking forward to replace my head unit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts